HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2011, 06:06 PM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,393 Posts
Yeah, there was some very close calls... Im sure i clipped trees a couple of times in the 3 flights I did but its hard to tell on the recorded video...

The guy who was spotting for me got some footage on his phone and the footage seen here does not do any justice to the speed and low alttitude I was flying at..

I cant believe how much fun this little thing is!! All i need to do now is find somewhere to fly with a few more things to fly around...

I think you guys will be seeing some pretty awesome videos in the coming weeks!
AP_OZ is offline Find More Posts by AP_OZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:05 PM
Chile, Magallanes Province, Antártica Chilena Province
Joined Feb 2011
221 Posts
Balabrawonga!
DD_Angels30 is offline Find More Posts by DD_Angels30
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:44 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsg View Post
watch at the 5 min and 5:30 mark for some tree flying!!
Is that your 5.8ghz video tx? Got a photo pf the Mini Swift. There is a bit of a pic at the end of the video but I guess most people think a Mini Swift is one of these even though there is no propeller in the video.

http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=11306
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:18 PM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Is that your 5.8ghz video tx? Got a photo pf the Mini Swift. There is a bit of a pic at the end of the video but I guess most people think a Mini Swift is one of these even though there is no propeller in the video.

http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=11306
Hi mate,

No, i swapped out the 5.8ghz gear and replaced it with a 900mhz - 200mw unit... The 5.8ghz transmitter was good for close in stuff but wasnt reliable for doing what I wanted to do which is shown in the two vids I posted. If anyone is interested I'd be willing to sell the 5.8ghz transmitter as I no longer have any use for it.. I think it would be a great candidate for a helicopter or tricopter..

The attached picture is the mini-swift im using and as you can see is not the hobbycity one - I think its made by MSCOMPOSITE and is available from a local shop in Adelaide (cant remember its name)... The image was taken when I was building the kit and you can see the 5.8ghz Tx mounted up behind the camera.. When I get home tonight I'll take another picture so you can see what it looks like now.

If anyone is looking for a small wing for hacking around ovals, I would recommend this plane!! The thing is massively overloaded but still flies extremely well... Ive said it before but will say it again; wings are where its all at!

Cheers,

John
Last edited by AP_OZ; Aug 16, 2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:34 PM
Joined Feb 2011
21 Posts
What range can you get with the 900mhz - 200mw?? Why did you go 900 for video rather than 2.4? What do you think is better?
sydneyx is offline Find More Posts by sydneyx
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:40 PM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneyx View Post
What range can you get with the 900mhz - 200mw?? Why did you go 900 for video rather than 2.4? What do you think is better?
The furtherest I got yesterday was about 300m and the image was crystal clear.. If you look at the video this is when I was over the other side of the oval.. But, in the second video when I fly across the road into a paddock i started getting some break up at less than 200m... It was still fine to fly but strange - Im thinking it had something to do with all the power poles and trees in between me and the plane(?).

The reason I didnt go for 2.4ghz is because I am using a 2.4 spectrum radio and have heard horror stories of lock outs and interference issues. The only other frequency I considered was 1.2 which seems to be popular with some of the overseas guys, only reason I decided not to use it was cost and the fact I already have a 900mhz receiver.

Cheers,

John.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:41 PM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,393 Posts
...... just checked on google earth and the furtherest I got yesterday was 320m which is more than enough for this type of aircraft/flying.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 09:14 PM
Flying Monkey
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2009
737 Posts
Hi All

Here's a vid from a few weeks ago. SPG just changed over his plane to have pan/tilt control with the FoxGoggles. The camera is a go pro and the mount for the pan was a little loose on this maiden try out with the Fox pan/tilt control.

Hope you guys like it

SPG and Mr_B Wired (3 min 16 sec)

Cheers
B

Sound Byte from...
Mr_B is offline Find More Posts by Mr_B
Last edited by Mr_B; Feb 23, 2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:04 PM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneyx View Post
Ive been 1.5km and the video was still great.
8db patch and 2 or 3 db omni - stock wire antenna.
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:25 PM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
Hey fellas, im looking to buy a smallish monitor 7" minimum that doesn't blue/black screen, got any recommendations within aus?.

Cheers, Kev.
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:45 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancesAU View Post
Ive been 1.5km and the video was still great.
8db patch and 2 or 3 db omni - stock wire antenna.
My RangeVideo 200mw on a Mini Swift was not any good at all and really unusable. It was a long time ago and I may not have had the patch pointing totally in the right direction.

I also may have a better aerial on the omni now so I might try again, as yours has worked.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Feb 23, 2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:48 PM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,620 Posts
jhsg. I have a 1.2ghz system which I only flew twice with a 2.4 gig and can definately confirm that lock outs where the norm as you said. It just sits in a the Box now taking up space. Have gone to 900mhz.

Bx
Boxhead is offline Find More Posts by Boxhead
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:31 AM
Joined May 2009
784 Posts
Aussie Pete is online now Find More Posts by Aussie Pete
Last edited by Aussie Pete; Jun 18, 2012 at 04:55 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 01:18 AM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxhead View Post
jhsg. I have a 1.2ghz system which I only flew twice with a 2.4 gig and can definately confirm that lock outs where the norm as you said. It just sits in a the Box now taking up space. Have gone to 900mhz.

Bx
Hey mate,

I meant 2.4 interferes with 2.4. All reports indicate that 1.2 is fine.

Maybe you were experiencing interference from something else? Were you maybe powering the tx and camera off the receiver and drawing too much power resultantly causing low voltage cutout (lvc)?

Cheers,

John
Old Feb 24, 2011, 01:20 AM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
My RangeVideo 200mw on a Mini Swift was not any good at all and really unusable. It was a long time ago and I may not have had the patch pointing totally in the right direction.

I also may have a better aerial on the omni now so I might try again, as yours has worked.
Mine is working perfectly and it's also a rangevideo unit with the stock aerial. Weird that you had problems, mine was a1 from the start.