HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2011, 01:52 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneyx View Post
What a bugger! HK shipping was very fast.
really??
luna27 is offline Find More Posts by luna27
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2011, 03:23 AM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Oct 2010
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luna27 View Post
really??
Really! What?

3 day courier. Normal international shipping was $19, Courier was $27. I was mad keen to get this stuff.

Happy Days.
joel0407 is offline Find More Posts by joel0407
Old Feb 16, 2011, 04:18 AM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,393 Posts
Latest project......
AP_OZ is offline Find More Posts by AP_OZ
Last edited by AP_OZ; Aug 16, 2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 04:24 AM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,707 Posts
OOoooohh!! The world is going to go bye very quickly I feel.!! Way cool!!
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2011, 04:29 AM
Joined Feb 2011
21 Posts
Looks neat and tidy. Is that a 2.4Ghz FatShark TX?
sydneyx is offline Find More Posts by sydneyx
Old Feb 16, 2011, 04:35 AM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,393 Posts
Cheers guys.

The setup is a Mini swift, fatshark 100ma 5.8ghz tx and a cheapo ccd camera. I will look at upgrading the camera once I know it flies.

The build has come out at 210 grams flight ready. This includes a 3s 600mah pack. Very happy with how it's turned out but will be very interesting to maiden!!

I'm thinking that if it goes well you guys will get to see some indoor FPV vids!

Cheers,

John
Old Feb 16, 2011, 04:38 AM
Joined Feb 2011
21 Posts
What is the range with the fatshark? How is the picture? Are you using the googles?
sydneyx is offline Find More Posts by sydneyx
Old Feb 16, 2011, 04:40 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsg View Post
Latest project......
I tried the camera and video TX on the Mini Swift (heavy stuff) without the Goggles to test the video which turned out all right. I tried it once FPV (but I am still learning) and the video cut out and it ended in a tree and luckily it fell out.

As you know, Kmart has some brilliant FPV video with his Mini Swift. It is a bit sluggish with all the weight on it but does the FPV job. I just bought the 5.8ghz 1 gram in weight camera and 2 gram transmitter. So I have to decide if I put it on the Swift or Mini Swift. The Mini Swift may be a bit twitchy for me until I get the hang of the goggles.

As you probably realise it is important to get the C of G spot on with the Mini Swift or they fly really bad.

Be interested in the video.

EDIT: All the best doing it indoors unless you have a BIG hall with that weight, as you have to go quite fast. The light 5.8ghz gear would make it easier. Looking good but.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Feb 16, 2011 at 05:06 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:42 AM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,393 Posts
here is some more pics of the build.. still a little messy but with the help of hot glue and patience it should be good to go before last light tomorrow!

From ground testing I have been getting about 400m LOS... I expect a little more in the air but i think with something this small 400m will be enough.

When I originally bought my goggles I got the 5.8ghz starter kit from hobbycity and this transmitter come with it.. I quickly realised it wasnt going to give me the range i wanted with the easy star so its been sitting around doing nothing.. Now that the easy star is getting a little boring to fly i thought id step it up a bit..

Next project is transferring all the gear from my easy star into 48" wing from windrider.. Can't wait!!
Last edited by AP_OZ; Aug 16, 2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:44 AM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post

As you probably realise it is important to get the C of G spot on with the Mini Swift or they fly really bad.

Yeah, I am a little concerned about the CG being right as its hard to measure on such a small plane.. This job is even harder when you've got stuff hanging off it in every spare spot! haha

Where was the right CG for you mate?

Cheers,

john
Old Feb 16, 2011, 06:28 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsg View Post
Yeah, I am a little concerned about the CG being right as its hard to measure on such a small plane.. This job is even harder when you've got stuff hanging off it in every spare spot! haha

Where was the right CG for you mate?

Cheers,

john
As you know the standard C of G is 130mm from the nose. I am glad you brought it up as my 130mm mark has disappeared as I have replaced the tap on both of my Mini Swifts after putting in a HK compatible Futaba FASST receiver and a orange HK Spektrum one in the other. Those compatable FASST receivers are unreal.

I have just marked the 130mm mark and am going flying tomorrow (weather permitting) and will check where I am flying at and let you know.

When I built the 2nd one it flew terribly so I replaced the servos with name brand ones etc etc and it still was no good. All the problem was the C of G was only slightly back behind the 130mm mark. What happened I put a stand alone camera on the nose and it flew perfectly. So at least do not go behind that mark.

AT A GUESS - I suspect your C of G is way too far back.

I suppose yours may not be too sluggish with the 2730-1700 motor (a guess). I have a 2730-3000 (same size) in my Swift. Guess I should try it in the Mini Swift.

I can not see your elevon push rods. May not be on yet. I used the standard push rods but you MUST put a guide half way along the push rod or it flexes too much. I just cut the top part off a control horn with the holes in it and CAed into the wing. It must be all right for those who only put in slow motors.

Nice FAT black antenna. Bit of drag there for a small plane.

EDIT: Have you bought your Elle Bee yet?
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Feb 16, 2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 07:02 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,851 Posts
Indoor FPV.. at least you cant get lost. A mate tried it and gave up in disgust as there was too much multipath interference to make it work.
ommadawn is online now Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:55 PM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
As you know the standard C of G is 130mm from the nose. I am glad you brought it up as my 130mm mark has disappeared as I have replaced the tap on both of my Mini Swifts after putting in a HK compatible Futaba FASST receiver and a orange HK Spektrum one in the other. Those compatable FASST receivers are unreal.

I have just marked the 130mm mark and am going flying tomorrow (weather permitting) and will check where I am flying at and let you know.

When I built the 2nd one it flew terribly so I replaced the servos with name brand ones etc etc and it still was no good. All the problem was the C of G was only slightly back behind the 130mm mark. What happened I put a stand alone camera on the nose and it flew perfectly. So at least do not go behind that mark.

AT A GUESS - I suspect your C of G is way too far back.

I suppose yours may not be too sluggish with the 2730-1700 motor (a guess). I have a 2730-3000 (same size) in my Swift. Guess I should try it in the Mini Swift.

I can not see your elevon push rods. May not be on yet. I used the standard push rods but you MUST put a guide half way along the push rod or it flexes too much. I just cut the top part off a control horn with the holes in it and CAed into the wing. It must be all right for those who only put in slow motors.

Nice FAT black antenna. Bit of drag there for a small plane.

EDIT: Have you bought your Elle Bee yet?
The CG is coming out about 135mm... In the manual is says you can be + or - 5mm so should be ok..

Ill still be interested to hear what CG your using though. Id hate to have an out of control plane on its first flight.

Cheers,

JOhn
Old Feb 16, 2011, 05:56 PM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
Indoor FPV.. at least you cant get lost. A mate tried it and gave up in disgust as there was too much multipath interference to make it work.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing but would still really like to give it a go.. were you using 5.8ghz?

Cheers.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:44 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,851 Posts
I didnt try it, but my mate was using 2.4 I think. Little 10mW camera tx combo direct to his sharks.
ommadawn is online now Find More Posts by ommadawn