HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2013, 12:09 AM
Australia, VIC, Berwick
Joined Oct 2013
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mroberts View Post
The Boscam tx/rx have different DIP switch settings for channels - you need the doco for each to make sure they're actually on the same channel. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
Yeah. It's a total head #%^*. Why a piece of paper with correct information can't be supplied with this equipment is beyond me.
Gibbedy is offline Find More Posts by Gibbedy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2013, 12:09 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Oct 2013
17 Posts
Quote:
The Boscam tx/rx have different DIP switch settings for channels - you need the doco for each to make sure they're actually on the same channel. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
Thanks Mroberts - I think you might be correct. (although I wont know for sure until this afternoon)

After going through and checking all the connections as suggested above (rp-sma v sma (ends up that there are converters to go from rp-sma boscam to sma antennas) I decided to open up the Dominator goggles to check out the Rx late last night. I bought it as a RTF system so assumed that this was all correct, but thought I would check it out anyway.

Well.. it appears that they may have been on a different "band"? I would have thought that if the Tx and Rx were on different bands I wouldnt get video at all (i was getting clear video, just terrible range)? Havent been able to test it yet - hoping to go out this afternoon and the range issues be all sorted!

Thanks for your help all
Goob_Scooper is online now Find More Posts by Goob_Scooper
Old Dec 17, 2013, 12:49 AM
Australia, QLD, Cairns
Joined Apr 2013
443 Posts
Quote:
The best channel to use on that Boscam 600mw TX is 34.
Skip to about 9 min in.
= Channel 3 on Boscam Goggles.
Part 2: :New Boscam 32 channel 5.8GHz kit ,power levels. (14 min 57 sec)
Flykam is offline Find More Posts by Flykam
Old Dec 17, 2013, 05:01 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Oct 2013
17 Posts
The band seems to have been the problem!

Took it out yesterday afternoon out to around 500 - 600 metres (twice what I had been able to do before) and had solid video the whole way.

Cheers again all. (now just to sort out why it is leaning to the left!)
Goob_Scooper is online now Find More Posts by Goob_Scooper
Old Dec 17, 2013, 05:44 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,639 Posts
I need to learn what type of fences to fly under. Poor Ladybird needed new blades after this fence contact. Thanks to rcgliderboy for recording it! nb it was a gusty 12 kts of wind hence the ground strikes too!

Ladybird FPV (0 min 50 sec)
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Dec 17, 2013, 08:33 PM
♪ Hobbies from down under ♪
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined May 2011
338 Posts
That ladybird was performing quite well if you ask me. My v939 was quite a poor performer to be honest and after time just died on me. Anyhow will probally get the eye quad thing from rclogger for my next fpv quad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
I need to learn what type of fences to fly under. Poor Ladybird needed new blades after this fence contact. Thanks to rcgliderboy for recording it! nb it was a gusty 12 kts of wind hence the ground strikes too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L-bZMDVXyc
Bio Hazzard is online now Find More Posts by Bio Hazzard
Old Dec 18, 2013, 08:16 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
25,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
I need to learn what type of fences to fly under...
Yer...those cross-hatched wire ones called "cyclone fencing" don't tend to let much stuff past

And I think "under" was a bit ambituous. Through looks like what you were trying to do LoL

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Dec 18, 2013, 09:11 AM
oxygen theif...
Australia, WA, Mindarie
Joined Jan 2004
399 Posts
missed by others ?

or no offered opinions ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by optical View Post
G'day gents

i would normally post in a correct section, but i value the responses of fellow skips - so ill post here

Im looking to get a quad. I know very little about them regarding whats the 'flavor of the month" so if anyone can direct me to any good threads for 'learning', that would be great

needs;
- FPV
- Model that will age with my skills - ie do it right the first time. Let the FC 'help' me fly until im capable of going manual. Im not keen on buying one then upgrading later (wife..)
- able to attach a decent gimbal
- will be obviously making a few vids eventually
ive seen what Grazer puts out, but i cannot recall what he is using

What ive read / reviewed and seen others which appeal are;
TBS Disco (already a caipirihina owner)
QAV450

no replies means i might go get a DJI Phantom and crash into multistorey buildings / syd harbour bridge

j/k

thanks !
optical is offline Find More Posts by optical
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:09 AM
Rookie
Australia, VIC
Joined Jun 2011
1,536 Posts
Quote:
missed by others ?

or no offered opinions ?

Personally I learnt to fly on a TBS Discovery
Built the quad my self, first quad
Used all good parts and Naza Lite + GPS for FC
This FC helped me to learn how to fly
No crashes to date
Learnt to fly in a few weeks

Started flying FPV 3 weeks after I started flying
2 weeks later I sold the quad and upgraded to the Pro

Reason I upgraded to the Pro was I wanted smooth video
And wasn't worth putting a gimbal on the standard Discovery

I also just built a DJI F450 quad for my brother to learn on
Cheaper build with cheaper motors etc
Came in a few hundred less than my Discovery build
Naza Lite + GPS again
He's flown 3 packs, first time flying a quad and he can already fly it
By the end of the week he should be comfortable flying LOS

DJI 450 is a good light frame, it's only $45
Later on he plans to add FPV gear and a Tarot 2D gimbal
Easy done on this frame and not big $$

Just my personal experiences and opinion
planex is offline Find More Posts by planex
Old Dec 18, 2013, 03:43 PM
Biomass processor
Australia, QLD, Cairns
Joined Sep 2012
1,794 Posts
If it wasn't for my TBS Disco (Naza Lite,GPS) from Mongrel Gear I'd still be bashing around in the weeds with an el cheapo 450 quad.
Quality is the name of the game for a successful multirotor experience so start with a big budget and you won't have to argue with the missus..........
cynr100 is online now Find More Posts by cynr100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TriCopters
Old Dec 18, 2013, 05:40 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2005
2,106 Posts
LoL ^^^^ this guy knows stuff
NutBag is offline Find More Posts by NutBag
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2013, 09:07 PM
oxygen theif...
Australia, WA, Mindarie
Joined Jan 2004
399 Posts
Thanks guys. Seems like the disco is the pick. Pro is a bit more then I want to spend, but I'm sure it will still serve me well
optical is offline Find More Posts by optical
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:37 PM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys. Seems like the disco is the pick. Pro is a bit more then I want to spend, but I'm sure it will still serve me well
My tip would be to buy one of these .. great learner quad. tough as nails ... won't break on the first hard landing. They will take you from learner to expert, and will really teach you to fly. I have one that I fpv, another that I fly LOS. Quality and service is second to none.
www.armattanquads.com ... the cnc355 , or carbon frame 355.
The carbon one is a little dearer but you will be hard pressed to break it unless you run it over.
The ready built ones are great value, and postage is cheap. Chris even sends you a flight test video of the quad he builds for you before he packs and posts it. The naze32 flight controller option is hard to beat.
kaz1104 is online now Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Dec 19, 2013, 04:56 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104 View Post
I got one of these http://www.buzzhobbies.com.au/index....product_id=198
Just plug it in and it works ... amazingly well. Local, in stock and in Aussie $$.
Hi Kaz

I managed to pick mine up from the PO this arvo... well actually they had just closed, but being somewhat a regular post box customer picking up packages on a regular basis, they allowed me to pick up...
Nice piece of kit, looks great, prob a tad heavier than I expected but I guess the throttle stick will take care of that!

A quick question...
The camera/gimbal sits centre under the mounting plate (that also holds the controller), which means props almost certainly will be in view. I noticed on the BuzzHobbies site as an option to be able to mount the cam/gimbal further forward, they have removed the ally motor housing & bracket on the roll motor, and fabricated a vertical plate that is bolted directly to the back of the roll motor. I dont know if I really like this idea because all the weight of the entire gimbal + camera will be swinging off the back of the BL motor bell, seems to me this could possibly lead to premature bearing wear... or worse, motor damage? Perhaps even induce vibration issues, kind of a pendulum effect?
But just thinking about it, can you think of any reason why I couldnt simply undo the 2 machine screws that fastens the top mounting plates to the existing vertical plate from the roll motor, then rotate the mounting plates 180 degrees, and refasten the 2 machine screws? So everything is still stock standard, except the gimbal/camera would now be under the front edge of the mounting plates, instead of underneath the centre of the plates...

What are your thoughts?

I hope you can understand the above... I hate trying to explain anything while dog tired
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Old Dec 19, 2013, 06:19 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
Hi Kaz

I managed to pick mine up from the PO this arvo... well actually they had just closed, but being somewhat a regular post box customer picking up packages on a regular basis, they allowed me to pick up...
Nice piece of kit, looks great, prob a tad heavier than I expected but I guess the throttle stick will take care of that!

A quick question...
The camera/gimbal sits centre under the mounting plate (that also holds the controller), which means props almost certainly will be in view. I noticed on the BuzzHobbies site as an option to be able to mount the cam/gimbal further forward, they have removed the ally motor housing & bracket on the roll motor, and fabricated a vertical plate that is bolted directly to the back of the roll motor. I dont know if I really like this idea because all the weight of the entire gimbal + camera will be swinging off the back of the BL motor bell, seems to me this could possibly lead to premature bearing wear... or worse, motor damage? Perhaps even induce vibration issues, kind of a pendulum effect?
But just thinking about it, can you think of any reason why I couldnt simply undo the 2 machine screws that fastens the top mounting plates to the existing vertical plate from the roll motor, then rotate the mounting plates 180 degrees, and refasten the 2 machine screws? So everything is still stock standard, except the gimbal/camera would now be under the front edge of the mounting plates, instead of underneath the centre of the plates...

What are your thoughts?

I hope you can understand the above... I hate trying to explain anything while dog tired
Yeah, I was thinking the same sort of thing. Turn the top plate around effectively. In my case I thought I could attach the turned around top plate to the TOP of a spider type frame, and the camera would hang out front. This would mean that the camera would not hand down so far.
I have looked at it closely to see if the hanging bracket could be removed completely, and fabricate a simple mount to place the roll motor between the plates in a frame. I will check the buzzhobbies site for the alternative mount you mention ... I had not spotted that one.

Mark
kaz1104 is online now Find More Posts by kaz1104