SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 16, 2010, 06:54 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,951 Posts
Look out for Gadgetman (AKA Andy)
He flys indoors and also has 2 FPV platforms. We fly FPV together and are planning an expedition this weekend. We both live South so usually hit the southern slopes for LOOOONG flights
Cheers
Frank
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2010, 06:33 PM
Joined May 2009
801 Posts
Thanks "ommadawn" ...spoke to "gadgetman".....looking forward to catching up... but this weekend I am already booked...riding /camping / fishing.
The tricopter went better than expected..........a great machine...so stable and easier to fly and hover than all my heli's, much like flying a well trimmed sailplane on a good day.
Got some great video of the tri in flight.
Doing some research on your FPV set up.
I like the idea of wireless head set (Fat Shark goggles) to start with and keep it simple for gaining flight skills off the slope or flat field flying with the tricopter. There are some many different ways to do this FPV , just need to decide where I want to go with it and how I will get best use from it.
Currently using the mini video camera for inflight recording.
Aussie Pete is offline Find More Posts by Aussie Pete
Old Sep 17, 2010, 04:11 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,951 Posts
Ask Andy about his 'sharks. He may be persuaded to part with them...
Old Sep 17, 2010, 07:03 PM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,789 Posts
Hello lads,

We are clearing our stock of GoPro Cameras. We have the HD's going for a stupid $300!! Get em while they last!!!

http://www.mongrelgear.com.au/the-mo...category_id=19
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2010, 09:38 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Nice price John!
I'm in negotiation with my wife... not looking good, but I can step it up...
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Sep 18, 2010, 06:17 AM
Australia, QLD, Bundaberg
Joined Jun 2006
357 Posts
2.4GHz and reduced range?

Greetings. I stumbled across this thread while searching for information about 5.8GHz transmitter/receiver systems. I notice that there are several posts in here warning people not to use Spektrum (or JR) 2.4GHz radio systems with AV transmitters, citing a reduction in control range of the RC gear. Can someone direct me to an article/study that has tested/proven this?

Curiously, the makers of the 5.8GHz tx/rx set that I have make absolutely no mention of this phenomenon. In fact, they specifically state that it works perfectly with 2.4GHz radio control systems. So, I'd like to know where this information originated, before I use this equipment with my JR11X radio.
mrbonk is offline Find More Posts by mrbonk
Old Sep 18, 2010, 07:03 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbonk View Post
Greetings. I stumbled across this thread while searching for information about 5.8GHz transmitter/receiver systems. I notice that there are several posts in here warning people not to use Spektrum (or JR) 2.4GHz radio systems with AV transmitters, citing a reduction in control range of the RC gear. Can someone direct me to an article/study that has tested/proven this?

Curiously, the makers of the 5.8GHz tx/rx set that I have make absolutely no mention of this phenomenon. In fact, they specifically state that it works perfectly with 2.4GHz radio control systems. So, I'd like to know where this information originated, before I use this equipment with my JR11X radio.
Hello Mr Bonk... Welcome.

I can't point you too a study - But what I can tell you is I have first hand experience where my Spektrum gear locked out about 200m

Now I am not an RF expert, but I know one, and having had serious discussions with him, I now have a far better understanding of how TX/RX work.

The best way he described it to me is like this...

Lets say you have a room full of people all speaking french, and is a bloke on the other side of the room trying to talk to you in English. Yes you can hear him, but you struggle to decipher everything he says clearly as the French guys are flooding the room with chatter.

Same thing applies with Spektrum. It can hear your TX, but with the noise coming off the Video TX on the plane, it struggles to hear it clearly.

Not to mention all the other electrics giving off RF noise on the plane.

The greater the distance between you and the plane, the greater the noise of the video TX overpowers the ability for the RX on the plane to hear your Transmitter

Does that make sense??
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2010, 08:32 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,951 Posts
Sounds like French to me....
Old Sep 18, 2010, 08:43 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
Want a better example...

Turn your stereo on and tune the radio in to some FM station... and then make a phone call on your iPhone and sit it next to the stereo. Let me know if you can hear the music nice and clear as the phone blasts the signal to shreds.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2010, 08:59 AM
;-)fellow pacifist(-;
Australia, VIC, Balnarring
Joined Aug 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
it drowns out the signal... just put the tx and rx on opposite sides of the plane and see how you go.
the spectrum and jr use a different system to standard 2.4ghz i think thats why there is an issue but i dont know how severe the problem is tho.
fpvme is offline Find More Posts by fpvme
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:37 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,190 Posts
Quote:

Is this where it all started?

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/dsm2flaw.shtml
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Sep 18, 2010, 05:20 PM
Australia
Joined Jul 2010
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvme View Post
Quality wise both are pretty bad from my experence, i had a similar one to those off ebay to start with but the range was pretty bad and subject to interference. the saw filters they use are what lets them down aparently. i just baught a good quality setup for myself with diversity and antenna tracking capabilities. i got:
from hobby wireless;
2x law mate 1.2ghz standard receivers
1000mw 1.2ghz transmitter
eagle tree ground station (for diversity and antenna tracking)
*needs osd pro for tracking tho
1.2ghz 8dbi patch antenna
540x580 pal camera by intelligent flight
evg920's video goggles
all up about 650$ but honestly for fpv good gear is highly recommended
because if it fails... no more plane

as for the best frequency well all 1.2ghz are illegal, as for 900mhz i think. 1280 MHz is legal with HAM licence and 2.4 will interfere with ur radio so it depends on what is being used in your particular area i suppose. look up Australian bandwidth allocations

video goggles: DONT BUY THEM FROM EBAY i got conned by them but now i have the evg920's but there are a few others like fatshark base edition. best ones are 640X480+ resolution

Lastly eagle eyes only works with osd pro without modification but do you need antenna tracking?? just aim the patch where you want to fly far and the diversity will cover everything else.

Regards Mitch

Thanks for your advise, decided to get 900mhz and see how it goes..and antenna tracking is off the list..
Skycrawler is offline Find More Posts by Skycrawler
Old Sep 18, 2010, 07:15 PM
Joined Jun 2006
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
Hello Mr Bonk... Welcome.

I can't point you too a study - But what I can tell you is I have first hand experience where my Spektrum gear locked out about 200m

Now I am not an RF expert, but I know one, and having had serious discussions with him, I now have a far better understanding of how TX/RX work.

The best way he described it to me is like this...

Lets say you have a room full of people all speaking french, and is a bloke on the other side of the room trying to talk to you in English. Yes you can hear him, but you struggle to decipher everything he says clearly as the French guys are flooding the room with chatter.

Same thing applies with Spektrum. It can hear your TX, but with the noise coming off the Video TX on the plane, it struggles to hear it clearly.

Not to mention all the other electrics giving off RF noise on the plane.

The greater the distance between you and the plane, the greater the noise of the video TX overpowers the ability for the RX on the plane to hear your Transmitter

Does that make sense??
No, not really If that analogy were correct, then every radio system would suffer in exactly the same way, 2.4 or otherwise. What your expert is telling you is that all RF signals will impact on your radio range. If that were true, you wouldn't be able to fly more than one aircraft at a time, for fear of someone else's transmitter being closer to your aircraft than yours. That's simply not the case, as anyone who's flown at a busy club will know.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 07:24 PM
Joined Jun 2006
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvme View Post
it drowns out the signal... just put the tx and rx on opposite sides of the plane and see how you go.
the spectrum and jr use a different system to standard 2.4ghz i think thats why there is an issue but i dont know how severe the problem is tho.
Standard 2.4 There is no standard 2.4GHz system.....that's the biggest problem with the new radios now. I assume you mean that Spektrum/JR don't use a continuous frequency hopping system, such as the Futaba or Hitec system? But, how would this solve the problem of your RC tx signal being drowned out by the AV transmitter? If the AV tx is really swamping the RC rx to the point where it can't hear your RC tx, you might as well be broadcasting in Swahili for all it would matter
Old Sep 18, 2010, 07:28 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,789 Posts
Quote:
No, not really If that analogy were correct, then every radio system would suffer in exactly the same way, 2.4 or otherwise. What your expert is telling you is that all RF signals will impact on your radio range. If that were true, you wouldn't be able to fly more than one aircraft at a time, for fear of someone else's transmitter being closer to your aircraft than yours. That's simply not the case, as anyone who's flown at a busy club will know.
Well in fact, that is the case!!

Have you ever flow 36mhz before? Have you ever had a "Glitch" That is exactly what is happening. Your RX has "heard" something loader than your TX. Ever heard the term... "Shot Down"

Now with spektrum gear, they developed the technology that your RX would ignore anything that is not encoded with the header ID. SO... if your spektrum RX hears other frequencies that don't include the header ID, it will ignore them. HOWEVER if your spektrum RX can ONLY hear those frequencies and can not hear your signal at all... it will lock out into failsafe thinking it has lost comms to the TX.

I do have a fair bit of experience with RF, but as I said, I am no expert. But my buddy is. In fact dude... he develops encrypted comms for Defence, so I guess he does know what he is talking about.

People think these Spektrum sets are infallible. NO, they are not Yes they are more solid than 36Mhz... but they can be overpowered too.

Just jump on the FPV forums man and have a read. Other than that, whack some gear in your bird and fly. If it crashes at about 300m, you will know why.
RCG Plus Member