SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 06, 2010, 05:15 AM
;-)fellow pacifist(-;
Australia, VIC, Balnarring
Joined Aug 2010
219 Posts
Thanks for the detailed response! Much appreciated. i will try all those tests next time i fly whenever that is (its pretty wet in vic as you have probably heard) oh well the bad whether gives me plenty of chance to sort out my fpv system.

Last question: regarding fpv
I need a new video transmitter, either the 1.2ghz law mate transmitter 1w or 500mw 1.2ghz law mate transmitter
I’m using a diversity system with an 8dbi patch antenna. im not going to fly ridicules ranges but I don’t want to be limited for the future either, would you guys go 500mw or 1w??

** i went with the 1000mw transmitter as it ran on 12v which i need. i think the difference is only 2dbm which is surprising considering it's twice the power!
fpvme is offline Find More Posts by fpvme
Last edited by fpvme; Sep 08, 2010 at 03:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2010, 05:27 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,129 Posts
FPVME finally got my 60'' wing flying today!!

crashed it like 10 times but what do you expect when you try and learn on one :P amazingly nothing was broken even after some pretty harsh nose dives!
it is wanting to dive quite violently even with the trims set to max so dose that mean the cg is too far forward or back??
its actually not too hard to fly i suppose as it has an amazingly slow threshold because of its weight and wing area it just launching it that was the hardest because i was on my own.

tis a windrider scout bee by the way

Mitch

Looks like differing advice which must be because not enough info.

So everyone can give so good advice what is the c of g from the front suppose to be and what is yours?

EDIT: You say dive violently - do you mean spin to one side or the other (wing tip stall) or just dive straight front down.

I have 3 Elle Bees, 1 Mini Bee, 1 Zagi, 1 Swift Delta Wing, 2 Mini Swifts Delta Wing. Wish I found the Swifts first as they are the best. Anyway I have been flying my Mini Bee for over twelve months and every day I fly I do a wing tip stall from a great height and it will not pull out. I do have extra weight reinforcement around the motor which requires extra weight in the nose (bigger LiPo). I will redo it one year without the motor reinforcement and move the motor forward and see if that helps. But like I say it wing tip stalls all the time but the others do not. Not sure if yours is doing the wing tip stalls.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Sep 07, 2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 06:22 AM
;-)fellow pacifist(-;
Joined Aug 2010
219 Posts
hi,
i dont think its a wing tip stall because it just dives straight down, the cg should be at 10 inches from the nose, i have it set further back than that at about 12 inches, i thaught that would mean it flys up not down thats why im confused. i will experement with the cg and the elevon position and see how it goes and get back to you.

thanks
regards Mitch
Old Sep 07, 2010, 06:31 AM
Lame-As The real alternative!
Bulli, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
4,164 Posts
2 inches behind that's nuts!

It's not that the weight will pull the back down but that the back will try to overtake the front. An object will always fly heavy end first. With flying wings they will tuck.

Also make sure you have some reflex (slight up elevator) maybe 1/8" or so.
narcas is offline Find More Posts by narcas
Old Sep 07, 2010, 06:51 AM
;-)fellow pacifist(-;
Joined Aug 2010
219 Posts
[QUOTE=narcas;15984375]2 inches behind that's nuts!

It's not that the weight will pull the back down but that the back will try to overtake the front. An object will always fly heavy end first. With flying wings they will tuck.

Also make sure you have some reflex (slight up elevator) maybe 1/8" or so.

ok, i set it up like that to compensate for when i add the fpv gear, i wasnt aware of the major changes in flight at the time :P
Old Sep 07, 2010, 07:07 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvme View Post
hi,
i dont think its a wing tip stall because it just dives straight down, the cg should be at 10 inches from the nose, i have it set further back than that at about 12 inches, i thaught that would mean it flys up not down thats why im confused. i will experement with the cg and the elevon position and see how it goes and get back to you.

thanks
regards Mitch
No need for experimenting with the c of g. On the flying wings tHE C of G MUST NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER be behind what the instructions say.

I would even try it slightly forward of the recommended C of G. Going forward will not cause any problems unless you go excessively forward.

You will need some up on launch. I fling them like a frisbee and it works every time now but my mate puts a finger either side of the motor - pulls behind head with a decent throw and it glides forever (to exaggerate) and then he puts power on. When I do that I seem to do ground testing.

Anyway looks like it will go better with the correct c of g. They just do not fly any good at all where you had it. The FPV gear will help but it must be balanced at the same point every time.
Last edited by Firepower; Sep 07, 2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 04:59 PM
Not a Doctor
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2006
6,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
No need for experimenting with the c of g. On the flying wings tHE C of G MUST NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER be behind what the instructions say.
I've got 4 wings, CG is way behind recommendations on all of them.
Saying that, they are not platforms, they are for slope combat.
Prob best to start at the recommended then go back a bit till it comes alive.
Ming's CG is conservative.
As Narcas said, reflex is needed unless its built into the foil. I think it's built in on the bee from memory.
me_wantee is online now Find More Posts by me_wantee
Old Sep 07, 2010, 08:09 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by me_wantee View Post
I've got 4 wings, CG is way behind recommendations on all of them.
Saying that, they are not platforms, they are for slope combat.
Prob best to start at the recommended then go back a bit till it comes alive.
Ming's CG is conservative.
As Narcas said, reflex is needed unless its built into the foil. I think it's built in on the bee from memory.
But just to get it into the air and to fly reasonably you initially need to start with the recommended c of g. On a windy day I add extra weight to the front for penetration.

This is for powered wings as I have not done any slope soaring with them. Slope soaring may be totally different. You can go back a bit on powered ones but only slightly or you usually have drastic effects.

Still best for powered wings to start on recommended c of g and once you have it flying good you can experiment.

Sounds like you are lucky enough to have a good slope handy.
Last edited by Firepower; Sep 08, 2010 at 02:40 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2010, 07:25 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,746 Posts
Hey Lads...

Couple of things.... I have a special running on the GopPro Cameras. These are the Surf HD version. Same camera, different accessories. Is worth a little more than the Naked - But I am clearing a few. PM for details.

Also... The new firmware is out that supports Live Video out, On Screen OSD and upside down recording to name a few. http://www.goprocamera.com/support/hdheroupdate.php

I still have some cables left as well to take advantage of the live out.
http://www.mongrelgear.com.au/the-mo...category_id=19

Cheers
Mongrel
The_Mongrel is online now Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2010, 03:32 AM
;-)fellow pacifist(-;
Joined Aug 2010
219 Posts
thanks for the advice!, it flew perfectly flat about 1cm in front of the stock c.g.
only thing i found was it is allot more 'solid'? in the air, like before to turn it the tiniest touch of the elevons would send it into a turn now it it quite sluggish for some reason even with full travel of the elevons. its probably good for me like that because im beginning but how can i make it more acrobatic in the future?

cheerrs, Mitch
Old Sep 09, 2010, 04:51 AM
Not a Doctor
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2006
6,916 Posts
move the CG back. The further you go, the more responsive it gets.
You will need to reduce your throws as you go back too.
me_wantee is online now Find More Posts by me_wantee
Old Sep 09, 2010, 05:29 AM
;-)fellow pacifist(-;
Joined Aug 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by me_wantee View Post
move the CG back. The further you go, the more responsive it gets.
You will need to reduce your throws as you go back too.
thanks ile try that next time
Old Sep 09, 2010, 05:31 AM
;-)fellow pacifist(-;
Joined Aug 2010
219 Posts
suggestion to all, do not buy the MicroEyeShot TD-VG2020 VIDEO GLASSES found on ebay and a few other sites. i just finally got a refund for the shi% they sent me.
Old Sep 09, 2010, 03:28 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Aussie Warehouse a GO!

Looks like it's all done and dusted. Look forward to seeing what it's all about.
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Sep 09, 2010, 04:38 PM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
Hell yeah!.
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au