HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2010, 09:23 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
Yes i have been buying from them for a few years, no problems.
Odd occasions part orders have shipped because not everything was in stock, but remainder of orders arrived soon after no extra charges or anything.
Many items are a great price, but not everything, so know, dont assume everything is a bargain.
cheers
Thanks for the advice. I did notice some things were a bit dear but handy for me to keep in mind if other places are out of stock/compare prices.

Thanks
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2010, 09:26 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2007
2,530 Posts
Hey John, Yeah i'm still around.
Sorry about the lack of email response, ive been totally overloaded with stuff, some weeks ive not even checked emails sorry.
And ive not really had time for RCGroups either.

Tonight i just pop my head in the oz section for a quick looksee.

cheers

EDIT:
Cool Firepower, cheers
Wobby is offline Find More Posts by Wobby
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:06 PM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,504 Posts
Cool Wobby,

Nice to see you back here, none the less. Drop in more often mate.
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:40 PM
Team Bondi slope trash
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2006
6,823 Posts
Yay!! Sucess.
Tricopter FPV maiden went really well today.
Since swapping out the tail servo, the rear motor has started to behave itself.
Put about 4 packs through the tri flying visually and it was flawless.
Decided it was safe to switch to FPV so I stuck the goggles on and had a blast.
Put another 3 packs through FPV. Image needs cleaning up, but that aside it was solid. They are TOP fun to fly through the goggles.
It came home in one peice and I'm stoked.
C'mon packs..................................charge damn you
me_wantee is offline Find More Posts by me_wantee
Old Aug 22, 2010, 04:54 AM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,706 Posts
Me-wantee - well done - tri-copters are a real hoot for FVP.

I found a new park today (took the kids there to burn off some energy) with lots of potential for some tricky fly-bys. While the kids were climbing them (castles, walk-ways, climbing things, tunnels etc, I was planning flight-paths under/through/around them. Now just waiting the the opportunity to get the footage. The trouble is that early, sunny, still mornings are when all the other Dads take their young kids out to give Mums a sleep-in too!

Roger (planning)
Kahnx is offline Find More Posts by Kahnx
Old Aug 22, 2010, 06:49 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnx View Post
Me-wantee - well done - tri-copters are a real hoot for FVP.

I found a new park today (took the kids there to burn off some energy) with lots of potential for some tricky fly-bys. While the kids were climbing them (castles, walk-ways, climbing things, tunnels etc, I was planning flight-paths under/through/around them. Now just waiting the the opportunity to get the footage. The trouble is that early, sunny, still mornings are when all the other Dads take their young kids out to give Mums a sleep-in too!

Roger (planning)
The tunnel!
What a bloody good idea LOL
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Aug 24, 2010, 01:59 PM
Joined May 2005
1,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
That would be 404cm on the RX mate.
I still cannot figure out how you put 4meter of wire on the RX ?
And I cant find any pictures of this set-up anywhere??
liteglow is offline Find More Posts by liteglow
Old Aug 24, 2010, 04:54 PM
Team Bondi slope trash
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2006
6,823 Posts
Another 4 FPV packs through the tri yesterday in gusty conditions and it's still in one peice
Got onto some FFF and also got some good height. I'm having too much fun.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 07:26 PM
Flying Monkey
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2009
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by me_wantee View Post
Another 4 FPV packs through the tri yesterday in gusty conditions and it's still in one peice
Got onto some FFF and also got some good height. I'm having too much fun.
Awww, Cmon, where's the video ?

Mr_B
8)
//
Mr_B is offline Find More Posts by Mr_B
Old Aug 24, 2010, 09:25 PM
Team Bondi slope trash
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2006
6,823 Posts
Nothing much to see atm. I'm still getting my head around flying so its all fairly inane stuff. I'll be flying through the go-pro soon though so I'll have no excuses then.
(now just got to work out how to edit massive files into uploadable ones whilst maintaining quality). Easy right???? lol
Old Aug 24, 2010, 10:25 PM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,504 Posts
Oh yeah guys... we still have a couple of the GoPro USB and AV cables left!!

http://www.mongrelgear.com.au/the-mo...category_id=19
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2010, 04:50 AM
Now what?
Bulli, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
4,005 Posts
Got my camera yesterday and my Tx/Rx and goggles last week. I taped the Tx+Cam+lipo together and got the kids to blast round with them while I had the goggles on.

I'm a bit dissapointed by the picture. I had hoped the Fat Shark goggles would put me closer to the action but the view is still a bit small. The image from the camera has vertical lines that can be seen when moving and it is a bit jerky. It's not much better on the LCD in the loungeroom either. Looks like I might have to get the GoPro like everyone else . It was at about 4pm this afternoon so the sun was close to the escarpment ridge. That might have made a difference.

I had a couple of blackouts as well which is a bit scary. It probably had a lot to do with the 4 walls and 1 child between the Tx and Rx.

I was talking with a mate and we are thinking about a twin camera, twin screen setup so we get a nice wide view. Anyone done this?
narcas is offline Find More Posts by narcas
Old Aug 28, 2010, 03:16 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcas View Post
I was talking with a mate and we are thinking about a twin camera, twin screen setup so we get a nice wide view. Anyone done this?
If you're gonna bother with a two camera system, then mount them the same distance apart as your eyes, and look at each different picture with a different eye - 3D !!!! Now that would have to make flight a lot better with true depth perception.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Old Aug 28, 2010, 04:01 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,705 Posts
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 10, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 04:05 AM
Joined Jul 2010
134 Posts
Hey all,

Been a lurker here for a while, decided it's time I started posting.

I've been flying RC planes on and off for about 3 years although this year I've really started getting into it. From the moment I watched a trappy video I was hooked on the idea of FPV. Finally, after weeks of reading and researching, last weekend I made my first few FPV flights! I must say, it really takes the enjoyment of regular rc flying to another level.

I'm currently located in Brisbane, just north of the international airport. I'm using a mix of gear for FPV and due to problems encountered in my FPV flight, I'm going to be making some changes in the future. This is my current FPV setup:

Fatshark RCV922 BASE (mine needed the 75Ohm mod to function correctly)
Sunsky 1.2Ghz 800mw combo + patch antenna.
DPC-480A Camera
2.4Ghz Spektrum RC
cheapo foam / plastic plane that has survived too many crashes / repairs / modifications to count and is still going strong. Ordered another one!

Due to the extra weight and drag I wasn't pushing flight times but I was easily getting 10-15min and due to using 2.4ghz I was staying fairly close to home. Already I've decided on a few changes that have to be made:

1. I don't trust the camera's connector so I intend to remove the current one and solder on a length of servo cable with a JR style plug. This should make it a lot easier to install a tilt/ pan setup.

2. I need an OSD. I freaked out many times due to not having much position awareness and accidentally flying behind the antenna due to the wind taking me off course etc. I've looked at most of the popular ones and I like the EZOSD the most, just need to decide where to buy it from.

3. I'm going back to 36MHz for FPV. 2.4GHz is good for at the field but without a booster it's range is severely limited.

Anyway, finally onto a question! On the subject of 36MHz, I've ordered a Turnigy 9x and I'm trying to decide on what JR module to buy for it. (yes I'm aware it needs modification to be compatible with them) What I can't decide on, is which type of JR module I should use: the regular crystal version or the synthesized one? And where can I buy them (cheaply) in Australia?
Nellik is offline Find More Posts by Nellik