HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:51 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
Ive just got back from a fly, so you've prob already gone flying, gorgeous morning...

My batt's a 1000mAh, fits in perfect, & with this batt and everything pushed as far fwd as possible, the cg seemed good for mine.

See how you go after your maiden, I mixed a little rudder with my ails to clean up aileron turns.

I hope she went well for you
Where do you fly?
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2010, 01:22 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,869 Posts
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Jun 10, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 03:25 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
I was flying at an undisclosed park at Cannon Hill, seldom see anyone at all there early mornings (I won't fly unless it's devoid of people), but a guy from LHS spotted me, told me that the council Fun Police are about to post signs banning any form of rc recreation. Apparently they've actively been fining people & banning more and more areas. Looks like yet another recreation forced into submission, I might have to join TMAC to fly without fear. There are a couple of other places I fly but I wont mention here for obvious reasons.

If you are unimpressed with the ASW, you'll probably remain so lol
I bought mine on special, dirt cheap, so for that reason I didnt mind it, just very "flighty" and flimsy. Treat with care, trim it out, and I actually enjoyed it... but not enough to go looking for prop replacement yet- I have a Cularis on the way...
Where we go there is usually no people but am lucky to go to my mates large property not far away every few weeks.

Cularis - now that is a glider. I should have been happy with the Easy* and EasyGlider which I have only barely started putting together.
When I trim it properly is will be better but looks like any wind is a problem. There was not any wind this morning. Just have to add weight to it and a bigger motor. Probably not.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Aug 14, 2010, 04:24 AM
Not a Doctor
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2006
6,916 Posts
Had a good day putting 6 packs through the tri today (all visual flight). I'm loving this thing. Sorted the oscillation (note to self - set gyros to act not inh)
Stuck the Go-Pro on and got some footage (complete with a little jello shake)
Sorted out the nervous tail servo with this highly recommended mod to HK gyros.
http://sergio.salvi.ca/2009/10/18/my...ations/?src=hk
Strapping the FPV gear on tonight and will poss. do the fpv maiden in the morning.
It's happening
me_wantee is offline Find More Posts by me_wantee
Old Aug 14, 2010, 07:31 AM
Not a Doctor
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2006
6,916 Posts
Sweet........my Tri-Copter is ready for its FPV maiden tomorrow. I cant wait!!!!!!
No wonder my wife just laughed at me
Old Aug 14, 2010, 08:01 AM
Flying Monkey
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2009
737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_wantee View Post
Sweet........my Tri-Copter is ready for its FPV maiden tomorrow. I cant wait!!!!!!
No wonder my wife just laughed at me
Mr_B is offline Find More Posts by Mr_B
Old Aug 14, 2010, 05:32 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,067 Posts
What do you guys recommend as the best RX for FPV on 36mhz - PPM or PCM? I'm running a Futaba 9C and am trying to narrow the search between the different RX types

s.
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Aug 14, 2010, 07:48 PM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,744 Posts
Quote:
Had a good day putting 6 packs through the tri today (all visual flight). I'm loving this thing. Sorted the oscillation (note to self - set gyros to act not inh)
Stuck the Go-Pro on and got some footage (complete with a little jello shake)
Sorted out the nervous tail servo with this highly recommended mod to HK gyros.
http://sergio.salvi.ca/2009/10/18/my...ations/?src=hk
Strapping the FPV gear on tonight and will poss. do the fpv maiden in the morning.
It's happening
Hmm Are you saying the Yaw gyro did not have the foam in it? I open every gyro and pack with foam... hmm How did I miss that one???
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2010, 08:37 PM
Not a Doctor
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2006
6,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
Hmm Are you saying the Yaw gyro did not have the foam in it? I open every gyro and pack with foam... hmm How did I miss that one???
Nothing apart from the two standard bits of tape. Meh, it's fixed now.
Went and did the FPV maiden this morning. Started out ok, then I lost video after about 30 seconds??? I'll have to check it out later. No biggie, I picked it up vis and flew it home.
Yesterday while I was flying, the rear motor 'missed' (like when the timings out) a few times resulting in hickups then after about 5 mins stopped altogether. I turned off, dis/reconnected the speedie and turned back and on and it seemend to fix it...so I thought.
It was flying fine today for 10 mins, then the same motor burped a few times, then stopped resulting in a couple of broken props. What causes that?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 09:09 PM
Lame-As The real alternative!
Bulli, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
4,162 Posts
I wish I read all this before I forked out for a setup

Did you record the video?
narcas is offline Find More Posts by narcas
Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:07 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,744 Posts
Quote:
Nothing apart from the two standard bits of tape. Meh, it's fixed now.
Went and did the FPV maiden this morning. Started out ok, then I lost video after about 30 seconds??? I'll have to check it out later. No biggie, I picked it up vis and flew it home.
Yesterday while I was flying, the rear motor 'missed' (like when the timings out) a few times resulting in hickups then after about 5 mins stopped altogether. I turned off, dis/reconnected the speedie and turned back and on and it seemend to fix it...so I thought.
It was flying fine today for 10 mins, then the same motor burped a few times, then stopped resulting in a couple of broken props. What causes that?
Hmm.. Could be the motor or the ESC. I can't tell you either way, as does not happen often. I have had some reports of a bearing going, but again, rare.

My current copter has the original ESCs and Motors, and I can't even imagine how many flights (and crashes) it has had.

Let me know what you find out. Do some static bench tests swapping ESCs etc and get back to me.

Cheers
Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:09 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcas View Post
I wish I read all this before I forked out for a setup

Did you record the video?
What setup did you get? You purchased the goggles through us, but what did you settle on for TX/RX??
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2010, 10:29 PM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
What do you guys recommend as the best RX for FPV on 36mhz - PPM or PCM? I'm running a Futaba 9C and am trying to narrow the search between the different RX types

s.
Futaba PCM RX's are too exy, go the corona 9ch for $20 if you want bang for buck.
I would trust the futaba PCM RX over the corona but the price is scary.
I got 2 R319DPS RX's and they go into anything big and/or expensive.

Neither have randomly failed on me but $20 dont seem like alot of money for the thing thats flying your plane
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:20 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancesAU View Post
Futaba PCM RX's are too exy, go the corona 9ch for $20 if you want bang for buck.
I would trust the futaba PCM RX over the corona but the price is scary.
I got 2 R319DPS RX's and they go into anything big and/or expensive.

Neither have randomly failed on me but $20 dont seem like alot of money for the thing thats flying your plane
So, you prefer the PCM RX's because they offer better range? why are they better?

s.
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:48 PM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
So, you prefer the PCM RX's because they offer better range? why are they better?

s.
Well ive never modified an RX antenna but Ive had my stock R319DPS RX in 2 different planes with different video TX's / setups.
The funjet I had locked out on me with 30 meters altitude @ 300meter from home this was at a big park in town.

Another time in an apprentice I was 1.1km from home @ 250m and it locked out, this flight was done in a remote area with complete LOS.
I didnt trust it after that for long range.
I still think its very reliable, the price is a big turnoff.

Also PCM is propriety to the brand, eg. futaba PCM wont work with JR or Multiplex...
PPM Rx's like the corona are universal, some say the overhead which PCM uses to encode the data (which makes it "glitch free") reduces the range a little and increases latency, I dont know if thats correct but it kinda makes sense?

A new corona well looked after should preform amazingly, I have one coming tomorrow for an FPV wing, it should be great for inside 1km.
Antennas on them are a little flimsy compared to the nice thick futaba ones... this can be changed with a little solder work
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU