HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:53 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,200 Posts
That pic looks like God had a bath and pulled the plug!

Freakin huge water spout! Hate to be on the water and see that coming at ya!!
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:00 AM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,504 Posts
I would hate to be on land and see that coming at ya!!
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:20 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,519 Posts
Yikes! I have seen the odd waterspout but NOTHING like that
ommadawn is online now Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:07 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Dec 2006
661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basadia View Post
Anyone have a local supply of CAT6E or CAT7 shielded twisted pair cable? I'm planning on changing most of my cable out on the Skywalker to try and get better video range.
Great info on this can be found here:
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....For-FPV-(CAT-6)
Got some spare RG178, Am i on the right track using that for black and signal from Cam to OSD and another length from the OSD to the VTX? Thinking the red will be ok as is if i elliminate esc noise nearer the esc?
doonunder is online now Find More Posts by doonunder
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:35 PM
Balsa/Foam dustman
Brisbane Australia
Joined Dec 2007
36 Posts
Give these guys a try Queensland Cables and Connectors, and probably worth a call if you can't find what you need on the website
http://www.qconnect.com.au/

Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by basadia View Post
FSTP cable sounds similar to USB cable. I have access to lots of that cabling but it does not shield between individual strands, thats the beauty of CAT7. You can run video down one single strand of a pair and audio down another and you a shield between the two. You also get shielding from external RFI due to the shielding around all eight strands.

I have ordered a 20 meter CAT7 patch lead off Ebay ($20) but as it is coming from China will take a couple of weeks. Unless I can find some local will have to wait.
cheers
hitchingbar is offline Find More Posts by hitchingbar
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:30 AM
Tasmania, Australia
Joined Aug 2004
1,911 Posts
I spent a bit of time and built some iBCrazy, scew planar and cloverleaf antennas. Fitted the cloverleaf to the transmitter, and scew planar to the video receiver. Wandered down the yard and behind the house, some trees, and a shed until the signal was breaking up. Swapped back to the rubber ducky antenna on Tx and Rx, and the signal (picture quality) was very little different. Still lost, or breaking up signal at about the same distance.
So, under this test my antenna were about as good as the standard linear polarised rubber duckies.
Is this a realistic way to test? The combination is said to be good for 15km ?? but I suppose that is line of sight and up in the air.
What are the experiences of those that have tried these types of antenna?
btw: The antenna tutorials from IBCrazy are pretty easy to follow and to build, and mine came out really well. Well worth experimenting with.

Mark
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:08 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,792 Posts
I've done quite a bit of distance flying with the rhcp antennas.
With a well set up model and groud station 1.2g is good for about 5km if using skew on rx. It will still receive at 15km but reception is usually far from usable add a directional like a crosshair etc and you get 15km plus with good reception.
If the antennas are not accurately made and wiring is a nightmare don't expect any improvement over linear antennas

Chris.
NutBag is online now Find More Posts by NutBag
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:10 AM
Quads, 4 times the fun.
Australia, NSW, Brookvale
Joined Apr 2011
586 Posts
Here's a great vid I found on the intertubes, loads of fun and mods galore!

RCDOX 2012 SKYWALKER FPV How to fly Batman camera RC plane (4 min 7 sec)
rogueqd is offline Find More Posts by rogueqd
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:17 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz1104 View Post
I spent a bit of time and built some iBCrazy, scew planar and cloverleaf antennas. Fitted the cloverleaf to the transmitter, and scew planar to the video receiver. Wandered down the yard and behind the house, some trees, and a shed until the signal was breaking up. Swapped back to the rubber ducky antenna on Tx and Rx, and the signal (picture quality) was very little different. Still lost, or breaking up signal at about the same distance.
So, under this test my antenna were about as good as the standard linear polarised rubber duckies.
Is this a realistic way to test? The combination is said to be good for 15km ?? but I suppose that is line of sight and up in the air.
What are the experiences of those that have tried these types of antenna?
btw: The antenna tutorials from IBCrazy are pretty easy to follow and to build, and mine came out really well. Well worth experimenting with.

Mark

Mark,

Unless you were very accurate with you manufacturing, you may find your Skew and Clover are not much chop.

Good quality made Skew Planners on both the TX and the RX will get you great range - and will, besides what you hear, get better range than a Skew/Clover combo.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:43 AM
Tasmania, Australia
Joined Aug 2004
1,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
Mark,

Unless you were very accurate with you manufacturing, you may find your Skew and Clover are not much chop.

Good quality made Skew Planners on both the TX and the RX will get you great range - and will, besides what you hear, get better range than a Skew/Clover combo.
I did also make a pair of skew planars, and there was little difference between the cloverleaf/skew planar and the pair of skew planar. Maybe I'm being a little unfair in testing them as I was pretty much JUST looking at penetration through obstacles rather than clear unobstructed range.
Yes, the instructions call for very specific measurements, and I made up jigs, and templates for cutting and bending. Not as hard as I first thought. I did test channels either side of the 1280 that they were made for, and sure enough signal quality deteriorated the further away from the 1280 that I got.
I used pre assembled sma and rg316 cables from here http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160582124...84.m1439.l2649 . Can cut 2 sma ends from 1 cable.
I used 1mm memory wire as specified by iBCrazy from spotlight stores for the antenna part.
(and yes, they were all LHCP)
Might have to do some further tests and maybe build a crosshair to go on the tracker.

Wiring nightmare is a definite possibility nutbag .... not much choice on a quadcopter ... everything is squeezed in a small space.
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:07 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,504 Posts
Hi Mark,

Sounds like you are on the right track.

You will get heaps better performance out of good SPW than the rubbers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:56 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,451 Posts
Posted this on the 13th:

Quote:
Anybody had experience buying from:

http://arkrc.com.au/

Looking at some DJI and Naza gear to buy. Prices look fine.

Cheers.
I put them to the test. Purchased a Flame Wheel 450, Naza multi-copter controller and the GPS last Thursday. It all arrived today, well packed.
Very impressed.
The sweetener was my better half completed my purchase and gifted the lot to me!

So this will be my very first quad and will commence building this coming weekend.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:26 AM
Fully Sick Bro!
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Nov 2012
360 Posts
i know this is kinda not on topic but i just got my fist set of fat sharks today the attitude SD ones and i was so excited to see what there like that i connected them up to my plastation 3 n put ACE COMBAT on ( for those who dont know its a fighter jet combat type game ) and holy heck they are awesome i cant wait to go up in my real plane with them
jarred1993 is offline Find More Posts by jarred1993
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:49 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,504 Posts
I tried that too with Need for Speed. I nearly blew chunks!!

Played Black Ops 2 the other night in 3D. That's pretty awesome!!

The are certainly a better goggle that's fure sure!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:15 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueqd View Post
Here's a great vid I found on the intertubes, loads of fun and mods galore!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNOv0kobveo
I've seen these kids in other vids doing some cool stuff with Rc vehicles.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman