HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2010, 04:18 AM
Aint nothing like a Mongrel!!
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
So can someone explain it for the dummies, what is the advantage of the 9c or 10C for FPV?
Well I have the 10C plus a Spektrum module, a 36Mhz module and a Futaba 2.4 Module.

What it mean for me is that I could keep all of my planes running the Spektrum RXs and fly them with the Spektrum Module in the back of the TX.

Then swap out to 36Mhz when I want to fly FPV.

Whack the Futaba 2.4G module in when I test fly customer's Tricopters!!

THEN - If you want to go a long range system, go to Ready Made RC and get the module that will plug right into the LRS or Dragon etc.

PLUS... The programming just craps all over the spektrum, and it has more switches and dials than a 747 cockpit!!
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2010, 04:55 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
Hi mate,

I don't mind at all with answering a thousand questions. If you buy from me or not is not what I really care about. I just care about having a great time with my hobby and helping someone else have a good time with it.

I have been criticised in the past because Mongrel Gear is not my primary business, and apparently I am not a "True Hobby Store". Well that may be right to a degree. It is not my primary business. It is my Hobby that has evolved into a business that soon may well end up being my primary business.

I asked a thousand questions from people when I started, and if not for their help, I would not have had the start that I did. So I am just paying it forward.

So don't worry about asking questions and sending email - I will always answer them as best as I can.

Cheers
Mongrel.
I hope you business keeps growing and I suspect the FPV will keep growing.

I started a part time business years ago but the Federal Government stuffed it. As everyone knows you can fill up inkjet printer cartridges you can do the same with laser printers. I started when no one else was doing it in Australia but the government brought in hundreds of dollars of fees to import laser toner. I had 15 customers and would have gotten a larger company with numerous printers if I kept going but was happy at that time to stay small, as it was a part time job.

Here is one thing you will not believe - no one can import one toner from overseas legally without being registered by the Federal Government and pay the yearly fee of hundreds of dollars. They were looking after the larger companies.

Hope the number of Australian FPV's grows and buy from you.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Aug 10, 2010, 05:01 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,629 Posts
Thanks mate!! Sorry to hear about your business.

I agree - we are over-governed to hell.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2010, 05:05 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
So can someone explain it for the dummies, what is the advantage of the 9c or 10C for FPV?
Besides what ChancesAU and The Mongrel have been saying which are all very good points, but I only know one simple point. Someone mentioned you need 8 channels for a pan/tilt in my Easy*.

A 7C is much cheaper but it apparently is too small in channels.

I have not sat down yet to see what they are but I'll start and have a go.

1. Ailerons
2. Elevator
3. Rudder
4. Motor
5. Panning
6. Tilting
7. ?
8. ?

(I have Elogger, OSD Pro, GPS)

Can anyone help with the list of channels?

Max: Mot looking too good with this rain for tomorrow.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 05:16 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancesAU View Post
Nah... got nothing really flying for fun, made a little sub 1kg flying wing UAV for autonomous mapping & me mate is just swapping motors in his queen bee after frying a turnigy, scorpion brushless arrived today to replace it

My motor is vibrating too much in the miniswift and the video sucks, need to pull the motor down and fix it... when I get keen hehe.

Might get a new 3G card soon, ive been without for like 6 months and only Telstra cuts it, theyre also the most expensive :|
With your Park 250 that is vibrating I just had a look at mine. I mentioned you had too much end play so I think it is just a matter of adjusting the screws to hold the prop on to reduce the end play. When you loose the end play it may reduce the wobble.

I am different to you in that mine are all for fun and it looks like the amount is growing every day. Only two with FPV to date the delta wing Mini Swift and the Condor. I took a photo of them all last weekend.

Nice retracts on the Queen Bee.
Last edited by Firepower; Aug 10, 2010 at 05:22 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 05:46 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.au View Post
Hey Firepower, that 6EX, is it mode 1?. If you decide you want to sell it, pm me.

My brother is looking for a TX.

Cheers, Kev.
Both of my 6EX's are in perfect condition and I have been using Mode 1 so do not think I can change to Mode 2. I am not sure which forum it was on(probably here) but I got attacked for using Mode 1 as everyone else reckoned Mode 2 was the only way to go.

Anyway the other one is Mode 2. It can be changed to Mode 1

I just found the following for a Mode change for a 6EX.

I was just going to put one one Ebay sometime. There are a lot of Spectrum's on EBay going at ridiculous prices. A DX6i went for $180 plus two days ago which is very close to a new price. I was not expecting that much for the 6EX but thought it should go well. But it is well known as mentioned by chancesAU "Spektrum is cheap and nasty".

So is Mode 2 any good for you.

GOT THIS FROM ANOTHER FORUM

Changing the Futaba 6EX from Mode 2 to Mode 1 is VERY easy (IMO)

1: remove the battery, and the bottom of the radio

2: remove the ratchet from the left stick
3: install the Ratchet on the right stick

4: remove the centering assembly from the right stick (spring can be a little hard to get at)
5: install the centering assembly on the left stick

6: Install the bottom of the radio, and the battery

7: Change the mode in the programming (See page 34 of the manual)
7a: turn on the radio, while pressing the "Mode" and "Select" buttons
7b: select mode 1 (Or whatever mode you want)
7c: turn of the radio, and turn it on again.

8: The radio is now ready. For me, it took around 10-15 mins.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 05:52 AM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
Sounds easy enough to swap over, he's (my brother) only interested in the TX, no rx or servos are needed.

Cheers, kev.
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Old Aug 10, 2010, 06:40 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Besides what ChancesAU and The Mongrel have been saying which are all very good points, but I only know one simple point. Someone mentioned you need 8 channels for a pan/tilt in my Easy*.

A 7C is much cheaper but it apparently is too small in channels.

I have not sat down yet to see what they are but I'll start and have a go.

1. Ailerons
2. Elevator
3. Rudder
4. Motor
5. Panning
6. Tilting
7. ?
8. ?

(I have Elogger, OSD Pro, GPS)

Can anyone help with the list of channels?

Max: Mot looking too good with this rain for tomorrow.
Depending how you setup up your Ailerons, you might need 2 channels. Especially if you want to use differential or use them for Flaperons.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2010, 07:25 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.au View Post
Sounds easy enough to swap over, he's (my brother) only interested in the TX, no rx or servos are needed.

Cheers, kev.
Looks like the price has just doubled. (Just joking) I see hobbycity is selling FASST receivers for $29.99 if you sign in.

http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=14300

I guess everyone will be after Futabas now. (bugger)

Guess I do not need to get a Spektrum for the small planes as the FASST receivers will be cheap.

I would selling the transmitter only if I get a 10C which I probably will. Do not know how much to put on it?
Old Aug 10, 2010, 07:28 AM
Now what?
Bulli, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
4,054 Posts
Quote:
{
2: remove the ratchet from the left stick
3: install the Ratchet on the right stick
}
Just a tip I learned from flying helis that would apply to tricopters, Leave the ratchet off the throttle stick for nice smooth throttle control
narcas is offline Find More Posts by narcas
Old Aug 10, 2010, 07:38 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,007 Posts
Quote:
Col, need a hand deciding? gimmie a call.
I reckon you should find a 36mhz 10c/9c and piss off everything else, get the modules for whatever else you need.
36mhz synth TX modules are rather hard to find. (correct me if im wrong someone)
I paid around $700 for my 9c brand new with the c-tick (big whoop, wanna fight about it?!(sorry, thats off family guy )) but I got the 36mhz module and it rawks!
Hi Max

I tried to ring you tonight as you mentioned but got yours and Kims phone numbers mixed up. We changed to Skype and were on for quite a while.

Guess you did not understand my last email. The other day I got a SMS from Kim but though it was from you which was forwarded on from someone else and I though it must have been from Kim. (Confused) Apparently it was from Darren and not you which was about tomorrow if it does not keep raining.

Catch you sometime soon.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 07:42 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Hi Max

I tried to ring you tonight as you mentioned but got yours and Kims phone numbers mixed up. We changed to Skype and were on for quite a while.

Guess you did not understand my last email. The other day I got a SMS from Kim but though it was from you which was forwarded on from someone else and I though it must have been from Kim. (Confused) Apparently it was from Darren and not you which was about tomorrow if it does not keep raining.

Catch you sometime soon.
Woah :P you so lost me there...
Yeah tomorrow looks like its off
How pretty does the radar look at the moment!

Ill call ya up tomorrow and see what your up too, saturday looks like the only decent day at the moment
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:49 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,007 Posts
Quote:
Woah :P you so lost me there...
Yeah tomorrow looks like its off
How pretty does the radar look at the moment!

Ill call ya up tomorrow and see what your up too, saturday looks like the only decent day at the moment
Yeh - great radar. I have not seen it like that before. I just sent you an email which may clear up the confusion.

I just ordered two of those FASST receivers from HK that are on back order. I'll see how they go.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:38 AM
BRISVEGAS BABY
Joined Mar 2010
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan089 View Post
hey all

Just wondering if anyone knows any really nice scenic places for FPV within about an hour and a half from Brisbane. The missus wants to go for a picnic somewhere scenic and says she don't mind if i bring the plane along. Figure i can kill two birds with one stone . Im thinking either beachfront with cliffs n such. Or nice mountains.

anyways let me know

Cheers
Hey all

Just in answer to my own question i found this great place in maleny about 1 hr out from brisbane. The views are magnificent, you can see the ocean and the mountains and green pastures and everything. I was there for half the day and apparently its also a bit of a hangout for local sloap soarers because when the wind is right they can stay up for hours. Anyways i was flying my EZ* and had about an hour in the sky and only used 500 mah of a 2200 mah battery... I reckon if i tried i could have spent 2-3 hours WITH ONE BATTERY, unfortunately however the mistress got a little bored and upset... something along the lines of "why dont you love me and spend as much time with me as that damned plane of yours". HAHA anyways I wish i had a video recording system to show you all but i can deffinately recommend the trip for anyone who lives locally to the area.

here is the google earth link http://maps.google.com/maps?q=-26.77949%2C152.921005&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GBfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

Just beware (im no glider pro) ITS BLOODY HARD to land when all the wind wants to do is keep you high in the sky.... lucky there is long grass to cushion any hard landings.
nathan089 is offline Find More Posts by nathan089
Last edited by nathan089; Aug 10, 2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 04:57 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,787 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of slope soaring.. the natural home of FPV
My flights are typically 1-2 hrs.
It can become Boring Soaring.. but not just yet.
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn