Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:48 PM
Ahsville (just south of Columbus), OH
Joined May 2007
586 Posts
Trader Rating: 139
Rant
Jan/2011 *NEW BUILD THREAD/PHOTOS* Members' GENEROSITY + Students = HUGE SMILES!

The title of this thread has been changed to reflect the good that has come out of the not-so-good event described below. It was never the intention of this thread to go in this direction; however with the help of RC Group members and vendors, young pilots in the Hilliard/Columbus, Ohio area will be flying until their hears content. THANKS to EVERYONE WHO HAS DONATED MONEY, PRODUCTS and YOUR TIME! I will never be able to repay your kindness, but I will make sure to pass it on! I will continue to update this thread regularly so that all can see just what the generosity has created.

I have been asked to put my e-mail address and shipping address at the beginning of this thread for any members who would like to become a part of this UNBELIEVABLE HAPPENING! My Paypal is as follows: igyb711@aol.com. My shipping address is as follows: Hoffman Trails Elementary, ATTN: Henry H. Rauhaus, 4301 Hoffman Farms Drive, Hilliard, OH 43026.

I can honestly say that it pains me to report this very unfortunate event; however my patience has run out, and I feel its story must be told.

Over the last three years, I have worked with many students at my elementary school, where I am a fifth grade teacher, learn to fly. To date, I have introduced almost two hundred different students to the world of flying two-channel micro aircraft. We would meet several times a week after school and fly away in our massive gym. How lucky we were to have such a large space to fly indoors. I could accommodate up to thirty-two students at a time, flying from eight different stations. Each station would have at least six of the same type of micros, charged and ready for flight. The key I found was finding enough different frequency that could fly together. Hence, I ended up using Silverlit Palm-Zs, (Channel A, B, and C), Air Hogs Biplanes (Channels A, B, and C), and eventually added Piloto Revels (Channel Red and Blue). As the young pilots improved, I added other Air Hog Micros and started flying Avion IOs (all five channels). It was an awesome flight to see as many as twelve different micro birds flying at any given time. With at least six of every bird, I had the students rotate flying every five minutes, so there was never a break in the action. The students absolutely loved this, and from these sessions, I actually had the opportunity to help almost three-dozen students students soloed on Parkzone Aerobird IIIs. Heck, over three dozen students (ages six to eleven) are now flying four-channel birds, and we are currently in the final stages of setting up our own ParkPilot Club. I can’t tell you how happy this makes me feel. I love giving others…what my father gave to me. But…I digress.

I quickly learned that young students….damage micro airplanes. [/B] I did many field repairs, but eventually, some of the airframes were no longer flight worthy and had to be shelved, and when you figure the cost of these birds, it can get extremely expensive. I combed websites and these forums to keep adding to my flock of micros…but those students always seemed to find a way…no matter how careful they were…to damage them.

This is when I met Greg Bacon, aka “gbarc” her on RC Groups. I saw some of his postings and advertisements for his “Egg-Flyer” line…and I figure what the hell. Instead of purchasing commercial planes, I would help support a fellow brother of the forums…and I was assured his would fly much, much, better. (After watching his videos…I agreed.)

We agreed on my purchased of eleven total RTF egg-flyer aircraft, and his price for this service was $30 per micro, for a total of $330. I sent him Paypal for these services in December of last year. I also sent several dozen complete micro flyers (including some very good BSD motors, batteries, and actuators) that were structurally damaged, but the radio and motor gear was fine. Estimated value of this equipment was several hundred dollars or more.

We did not set a hard timeline, but Greg said that he should have this complete after the holidays and back to me sometimes in January. I also agreed to pay for the return shipping. (He asked for an additional $30 which I sent.) Over the next several months, I touched base with him every several weeks, and soon realized that it was taking Greg longer than I thought it would be, but again, as long as I had it within a couple of months so my student pilots could enjoy them, it was no big deal.

Well, it is now almost a year later…AND STILL NOTHING! My last contact with Greg was in early June, where he assured me a full refund by the end of the month. He also said that he would send the full refund AND THE EGG FLYER MODELS. [/B] I told him I did not need the models, and that he could actually keep all of the equipment, but I really wanted the refund. At this stage, I really just wanted to recoup the money.

Over the last several months I did keep sending him PMs and e-mails, however I don’t think that he has signed-on here for quite some time. I finally told him that I would ask for the forums help if this was not resolved.

Basically, I feel I have done everything I could do to help Greg complete this transaction, bit all my efforts have been to no avail.

If anyone knows Greg (gbarc) personally, please let him know about this thread, and that I will be the first one in line to report he has made good on our trade, or at least give me back the $360. I am not trying to run his name through the mud as I know at one time, he was selling these micros, but her really has left me no choice.

Hopefully, we can get this matter resolved and I can purchase more micros for my students. $360 can go a long way.

The attached photo is of my currently students (who have soloed) and their first introduction to Liteflite’s Bug. It is a blast to fly inside!

In the next post I will include the PM’s that I could find the clearly indicate Greg intended to refund the money and send the RTF egg flyers.
bighank13 is offline Find More Posts by bighank13
Last edited by bighank13; Jan 12, 2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: This thread has taken a turn...for the best!
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2009, 12:56 PM
Joined May 2007
586 Posts
PMs (gbarc is in red) and Paypal Info

Re: Micro Lot...RTF...$330
Full refund before months end. just had to get caught up on a few things.

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighank13
Hey.

I just wanted to let you know that I have not yet received Paypal refund for the micro lot. Please let me know when to expect the $330 refund (minus your expenses for the new receivers purchased). THANKS Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarc
Ok i will refund your money and i'll still send the models.The last time we spoke you said take my time and get them done when i got them done.Granted the school year is over but you'll have new ones for next year.Yes you have been patient, but at the same time i did tell you that i had to rebuild several of the RX's you sent. In the meantime i got more RX's at my own expense.

Regards,

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighank13
Hey. My school year will be over in four days, and I still don't have anything from you in regards to the 11 RTF micros that you were going to build for my flying club. I have been extremely patient thus far. At this time, I ask that you please refund my money ASAP. I don't need the micros pieces/parts so they are yours to keep. I have no need for any of the promised micros either, as school is over. My paypal account is as follows: ]. I will let you know when payment is refunded. THANKS for your prompt attention. bighank13
Last edited by bighank13; Nov 23, 2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 01:10 PM
Krued Up
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Jul 2004
4,464 Posts
Trader Rating: 360
Hank,it's a shame that everyday that goes by,you see more and more bad things happen to good people.hope things get resolved appropriately and in a timely fashion.(even though the time thing has come and gone)
snolord1 is offline Find More Posts by snolord1
Old Nov 23, 2009, 01:36 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
What address did you ship to? I'm sure you can find him here: http://www.whitepages.com/search/Fin...=jackson%2C+mi

Who knows, maybe something happened to him? He hasn't logged on here since July and his "business" website (geocities) is gone: http://www.geocities.com/mremale4u/THE_JUNKYARD.html

You may want to talk to Andy as well http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4u#post7975006
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Last edited by HappyKillmore; Nov 23, 2009 at 01:48 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 23, 2009, 02:05 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,742 Posts
Trader Rating: 78
Sorry the kids have to suffer from this guy's shenanigans. Sounds like he talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. I commend you on your efforts with "your" kids. My club does an annual demo for the elementary school we fly at, we bring a bunch of cheap balsa gliders & give 'em to the kids then put on a show for them. Have you considered asking here on RCG for donations of suitable planes for these kids to learn on? There are a lot of really generous and helpful people on these forums; I'm sure many would be glad to help.
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Nov 23, 2009, 03:16 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
2,866 Posts
Trader Rating: 82
I hope something didn't happen to Greg. In fact I found a web site for Junkyard Micro R/C still online and I'd really like to have a DR1.

But back on topic, could we get a fund going to help replace some of his planes? I'll kick it off. PM me your present paypal and I'll give the kids $20.

http://www.freewebs.com/junkyardmicrorc/
johnbyrne is offline Find More Posts by johnbyrne
Last edited by johnbyrne; Nov 23, 2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 04:03 PM
Check my blog-updated
Columbus,Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
2,133 Posts
Trader Rating: 115
If it matters to anyone, and it should-

I know Hank. I have custom built for him and sold items to him. He is a teacher and a great guy to talk to.
This really upsets me not just about being scammed, but Hank really does try to get the kids into RC. With his own money.

Hank, if there is anything I can do give me a call.

Do you have any info on Greg? Shoot me a pm if you do.
Mayday!Mayday! is offline Find More Posts by Mayday!Mayday!
Old Nov 23, 2009, 04:32 PM
wine country wing nut
United States, CA, Sonoma
Joined Mar 2005
388 Posts
Trader Rating: 46
I am willing send some $$$ to the fund. Please post your papal addy. Let's give those kids something to smile about knowing that people on RCG care.
BlueSkyRiderX is offline Find More Posts by BlueSkyRiderX
Old Nov 23, 2009, 05:01 PM
Joined May 2007
586 Posts
Hey Fellas....

I appreciate all of the offers for money. If you would really like to donate some money to my group, the Paypal addy is as follows: igyb711@aol.com I guess you would have to trust me that I would put it back into my group. Ya know it is bad when you have your boxes and boxes of mirco flyers sent my school....so my wife doesn't know. Worst thing is...I'm not kidding about that

Mayaday...thanks for the positive note. Ya know...I guess that is what makes me happiest...seeing young pilots grow. I guess that is the teacher in me. I am almost feek like a proud new pappa over and over again each time one of my students solos for the first time. Some of those relationships are absolutley priceless. Heck...if it was not for the young pilots, our sport would eventually disappear.

Anyway, I appreciate all your help fellows, and again, if anyone knows Greg...PLEASE let him know about this thread. I am not trying to bad mouth him, I just want him to clear this up.
Last edited by bighank13; Nov 23, 2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 05:04 PM
Often wrong ("wife")
Deep in the South
Joined Sep 2003
2,866 Posts
Trader Rating: 82
I suspect Greg is a great guy. I have read some of his past posts and found one in which he talks about his sister being very sick. Maybe he just ran into some really bad times.

BUT

My offer has less to do with this deal and more to do with my desire to help your kids. If Greg pops up today and says he has the planes ready to go I still want to send ya some $ to help out. I've read many who have great ideas but you have put it into action and have success stories involving kids. This is really wonderful.

Sooooo

Please accept my donation of $20 to your class project regardless of the outcome with Greg. This is my gift to your kids and I hope others will follow. Heck, I've spent that much at McDonalds before
johnbyrne is offline Find More Posts by johnbyrne
Old Nov 23, 2009, 05:18 PM
Planes, Guitars and Cigars
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
Trader Rating: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighank13 View Post
I appreciate all of the offers for money. Let's see if we can find out what happen to Greg and go from there. I really seemed like someone who cared.
Well what happened to him between December and July when he was still replying but didn't deliver what he promised? I hope nothing happend after that time but is no excuse for the 7 month delay prior to that.

He could have sen't you something - a few planes and partial refund. If he returned $50.00 a month you would have been paid back by now.
Steve_A_Reno is offline Find More Posts by Steve_A_Reno
Old Nov 23, 2009, 06:01 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighank13 View Post
I appreciate all of the offers for money. If you would really like to donate some money to my group, the Paypal addy is as follows: igyb711@aol.com I guess you would have to trust me that I would put it back into my group. Ya know it is bad when you have your boxes and boxes of mirco flyers sent my school....so my wife doesn't know. Worst thing is...I'm not kidding about that

Mayaday...thanks for the positive note. Ya know...I guess that is what makes me happiest...seeing young pilots grow. I guess that is the teacher in me. I am almost feek like a proud new pappa over and over again each time one of my students solos for the first time. Some of those relationships are absolutley priceless. Heck...if it was not for the young pilots, our sport would eventually disappear.

Anyway, I appreciate all your help fellows, and again, if anyone knows Greg...PLEASE let him know about this thread. I am not trying to bad mouth him, I just want him to clear this up.
Donation will be on the way; as to the trust thing, it was my idea in the first place, you didn't do anything but ask for help, so everybody can blame me if it's a scam, (most of us here have "scam radar" anyway; I think we're pretty sure you're the real deal). You're right, we need young pilots in the sport and you're helping to train the next generation of RC pilots; I can't think of a better cause. If you ever get a refund and/or the planes from Greg, put it back in to stuff for the kids. And, let them know there's a community online here to help them, and encourage them to get their parents involved too. Seek out a local club for help too; AMA can help you with that. Our club's annual demo is a big hit with the kids, I'm sure you could arrange a demo from a local club for your young aspiring pilots as well. I'm going to post a couple of pics from our elementary school demo last year. Good luck and keep up the good work!

Sonny
Old Nov 23, 2009, 06:39 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,742 Posts
Small donation sent; C'mon everybody let's get on board & get those kids something to fly!!
Old Nov 23, 2009, 08:20 PM
Jackson, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2002
1,388 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Guys i've been away for awhile and i do apologize especially to Big hank. Yes this has been a very trying time for me. My sister was very ill in fact she died and was brought back. Recently she had to go back to the hospital due to another close call. In the same time period i had a cousin who was in hospice lose his battle to cancer. This is the second time in the space of a 6 months that i've lost someone to cancer my uncle being earlier this year. I will be back and will make things square...but i just needed to take a breather..its been to many things to fast.
gbarc is offline Find More Posts by gbarc
Old Nov 23, 2009, 08:27 PM
Joined May 2007
586 Posts
Thank you, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbarc View Post
Guys i've been away for awhile and i do apologize especially to Big hank. Yes this has been a very trying time for me. My sister was very ill in fact she died and was brought back. Recently she had to go back to the hospital due to another close call. In the same time period i had a cousin who was in hospice lose his battle to cancer. This is the second time in the space of a 6 months that i've lost someone to cancer my uncle being earlier this year. I will be back and will make things square...but i just needed to take a breather..its been to many things to fast.
I am really sorry to hear about your sister, as I lost my father-in-law and an aunt this year to cancer. It really sucks. Please understand, I tried to contact you many times to resolve this before posting here, as I am not trying to smear your name. I was just trying to recover the monies that I paid for something I never received...that is it.

I, like you, live pay check to pay check. My wife is also a school teacher, and we have her mother and disabled aunt living with us...so I know how it is to watch what you spend.

I will tell you that members on the forum have started donated money to my students, and I really do appreciate that. I will put every single penny right back into what I love to do...and that is help young pilots fly. However, although I do appreciate you speaking up (that can be really tough), we need to work something out so that you can repay your debt, also. You can PM me if you have any ideas as $360 is a lot of cash at once...but if you really think about it...it has been almost a year.

Again, thanks for speaking up, and I will say an extra prayer for you and your family tonight before I go to bed.

Hopefully, we can resolve this matter so that we both can get on with our lives.