HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2009, 04:40 AM
Joined Feb 2006
75 Posts
Discussion
FDR pro and XBee Pro interface

Is it possible to get a serial output from the FDR pro unit to interface to the XBee Pro modules.
These modules work on 2.4GHz and give a transparent serial link over a 2.4GHz RF Link.
I know there is a serial output available from the FDR that connects to the Seagull TX, but to configure this you seem to need a Seagull RX unit as well.
Is there any way to configure this without a Seagull unit, (maybe a firmware upgrade)

David
f3fisa is offline Find More Posts by f3fisa
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:13 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
Hi David,

Our 2.4GHz system uses XBee Pro modules. if you run the Seagull Setup Wizard (under "Advanced") the first step will let you configure the FDR to use the 2.4Ghz (100 mw) system, which configures the recorder to talk to the XBee pro. The Seagull Rx is not required for this step to be completed.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 07, 2009, 04:02 AM
Joined Feb 2006
75 Posts
Thanks for the info Bill.

I am trying to make my own LCD display to view the output of the FDR, a bit like the Power Panel.

I have discovered the output is 19200 baud, and when using the GPS expander all the data is downloaded as hex, but read as decimal characters in reverse.

I can also see which bytes refer to the altitude and speed sensors, but can you tell me what format these are in. I also have a G Force sensor and know which bytes these are but cannot work out the format for these.
Old Dec 08, 2009, 07:59 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,935 Posts
HI David,

This is a big task. The data in the internal packets are compressed in an Eagle Tree proprietary format, and after decompression, require lots of work to convert them into a meaningful value. None of the values in the packet are actual usuable values, unfortunately.

We haven't documented the internal format of the data, for a lot of reasons, but mainly because of the massive scope of such a project.

We do plan on an ascii "NMEA" type output down the road, aimed primarily at people who want to do exactly what you want to do.

Regards,

Bill, for Eagle Tree
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 09, 2009, 03:22 AM
Joined Feb 2006
75 Posts
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply, can't wait for new ascii output.
I'm sure a Power Panel type display for the FDR would be a popular addition.

If anyone else is interested when the GPS expander is connected to the Flight Data Recorder you do get the Lat and Lon info, also the Time and number of Sats, haven't figured out how to make sense of the GPS Speed or GPS altitude yet, but it can't be difficult.

Also have a look at this neat LCD display

http://cats-whisker.com/web/node/7

David