SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Nov 22, 2009, 09:03 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,505 Posts
Discussion
EDF Officially Breaks 200 MPH Flat and Level... Project Speed Baby!!!

OK boys, it's official, the "beef" as they put it has finally been shown. The "Project Speed" BVM Electra today hit 209.5 MPH average speed via Eagle Tree Pro and 209.144 MPH via Doppler, flat and level, average speed, both directions, take your pick! Some of you may know we've been working on going fast for some time, Project Speed being the BVM Electra built for this purpose. The first phase of this project was just to build an ultra clean airframe and see what that alone gets you. The clean airframe was enough to win the Fastest EDF @ E-Jets 2009 in Ohio this year! Well, the next phase was power system, we've toyed with a few different setups, today's speed run was done using the BVM VioFan 6215 running on 15S, 5000 mAh Thunder Power Pro Power 40C packs.

The conditions in Delray Beach, Florida were 82.5 degrees @ 5:20 PM when the Electra made two passes in opposite directions using an Eagle Tree Pro telemetry device for unofficial speed and post-video Doppler analysis for official speed. The reason for Doppler over RADAR is likely more to do with there being no way to ensure proper calibration when someone makes a video, Eagle Tree uses pressure differential but again this could be tampered with so you end up with Doppler, easy for the average Joe to confirm from home and perfect for our purposes since we expect a gaggle of fellow modelers to confirm (or challenge) our speed. We've taken the liberty of posting High Definition Windows Media, Standard Definition Windows Media, WAV audio full and WAV audio for Speed Pass #1 and Speed Pass #2 WAV for those that don't want to convert.

As for the "record" and "first official" 200 MPH claim, this comes after searching quite extensively to see if anyone has done this before. We've hit 228+ MPH in a dive, the trick here is to do it flat and level and get it on video with some type of speed trap of other measuring device so it's official, we believe no one has provided a video showing any EDF breaking 200 MPH to date. Of course we're not done yet either, the goal is to break 225 MPH, perhaps faster but for now we hope others are encouraged to "drop the hammer" so to speak and build faster EDF's. We had a great time @ E-Jets and figure events like this are a great way to spur the industry on. Of course BVM and Thunder Power don't need much of a push, both are hard to beat and picking them was no accident, thanks to BVM and crew for their full support and Thunder Power for their support and of course LiPo packs that simply can't be beat!

Project Speed Record Run, Windows Media, High Definition, 92MB
Project Speed Record Run, Windows Media, Standard Definition, 14MB
Project Speed Record Run, MP3 Audio, 128 kbps, 3MB
Project Speed Record Run (Pass 1), WAV Audio, 44.1 kHz, 1MB
Project Speed Record Run (Pass 2), WAV Audio, 44.1 kHz, 1MB

Rob Lynch
Jack Fetter

Project Speed
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Last edited by jfetter; Nov 22, 2009 at 09:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2009, 09:24 PM
Raleigh, N.C.
Joined Dec 2001
311 Posts
Way to go Team Speed. Thats the way to raise the bar. Theres the Beef...
KHorton is offline Find More Posts by KHorton
Old Nov 22, 2009, 09:29 PM
Team House of Power Hobbies
Tamarac FL
Joined Oct 2003
427 Posts
Thanks it was a ball, got a few more things in the works as well.
rcjet lynch is offline Find More Posts by rcjet lynch
Old Nov 22, 2009, 09:48 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,129 Posts
REAL smooth piloting !!
sheppard559 is offline Find More Posts by sheppard559
Old Nov 22, 2009, 09:51 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheppard559 View Post
REAL smooth piloting !!
I'd like to say that's me but I'm on video, that's the best part (or worst part maybe) working with Rob, he's like a robot on the sticks, makes me the weak link, heheh...

Jack
Old Nov 22, 2009, 09:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2009
462 Posts
Oh No,,, Throttle chop right after the pass... hum.....

I couldn't get the same numbers you got with 2 different doppler programs, Bob will check in thou. This is what i got with mimimal margin of error.

Still working on this. Will Edit this shortly.

The rest has been deleted
EDF Phantom - Kryptonic is offline Find More Posts by EDF Phantom - Kryptonic
Last edited by EDF Phantom - Kryptonic; Nov 22, 2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 09:53 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,889 Posts
Nice job flying, Rob.

We all need to aim higher than 225 if we want to beat the GDF planes from back in the day.

Our new Starfire is way over 200MPH. We have GPS for tracking speed, which I believe is more reliable than Eagletree's pitot tube setup as it is not fully temperature compensated (you guys could be faster or slower than your reported speed).
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2009, 09:58 PM
Team House of Power Hobbies
Tamarac FL
Joined Oct 2003
427 Posts
Its getting there, I am learning more everytime we go out and I am sure Jack is as well it just takes time.
rcjet lynch is offline Find More Posts by rcjet lynch
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:04 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
We all need to aim higher than 225 if we want to beat the GDF planes from back in the day.
Well, I wasn't part of the GDF crowd but it's also not a fair comparison IMO, that "was what it was" and this, well, it's a different animal. Plus we're done with the dive, we've done close to 230 MPH in a dive, I want to see what the power system is capable of flat and level.

Quote:
Our new Starfire is way over 200MPH. We have GPS for tracking speed, which I believe is more reliable than Eagletree's pitot tube setup as it is not fully temperature compensated (you guys could be faster or slower than your reported speed).
Speaking of which, we expected to see something from AZ, what happened? Eagle Tree supports GPS but pressure differential is pretty good, you can see by the Doppler comparison which we do every time we run as an audit, we're pretty pleased overall...

Jack
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:08 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,273 Posts
Congratulations Rob and Jack ... Strong Work.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:15 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDF Phantom View Post
I heard the throttle chop right after the pass... hum..... I couldn't get the same numbers you got with 2 different doppler programs, Bob will check in thou. I was getting mid to high 190's.

The rest has been deleted
You have the temp set @ 28C (82.5F)? Rob most definitely chopped the throttle, this time waiting until fully passed versus his habit of chopping it as it passes him...

Jack
Last edited by jfetter; Nov 22, 2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:16 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,889 Posts
We didn't have a contest... it was sort of unofficially frowned upon, so nothing was done. The new Starfire flys a lot different than the old one, being 3 pounds lighter. It really wants to float! It will be fun to put this one to the test. I am going to build another one with a wing that is 10mm thinner... these things have fat wings.

As far as the GDF stuff goes, I didn't do that either, but I have watched a bunch of videos where they were doing 225 flat and level (no dive) and 255 with a dive. Radar was used at the event, and the speeds confirmed with doppler. Bob was part of these, so he should know better than most!
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:16 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Murray View Post
Congratulations Rob and Jack ... Strong Work.
Thanks Kevin, much appreciated!

Jack
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:22 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,505 Posts
Quote:
We didn't have a contest... it was sort of unofficially frowned upon, so nothing was done.
Well, not to be rude Jim but if you're going to drop hints in this thread and outright say you were faster in the sister thread, I would really expect to see some supporting beef? You know the rules of the sister thread, post it and let them Doppler it and we'll see what we'll see.

As I said to rvincent about E-Jets, you saw enough for us to win, likewise today you saw enough to make 200 MPH flat and level a fact, not just a claim. Don't assume you've seen it all yet either my friend, unlike some, we know what foreplay is ;-)

Jack
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2009
462 Posts
This is what i got with mimimal margin of error.... the numbers were worse on the various doppler plots, these were the best speeds from the doppler program.

Chopping the throttle doesn't help. Averages out to 195mph.

God I hope i'm wrong.

Ooh and now to hear from the Shills...... It only takes a fat wallet to go fast. now to see someone do it with a wemotech fan
EDF Phantom - Kryptonic is offline Find More Posts by EDF Phantom - Kryptonic
Last edited by EDF Phantom - Kryptonic; Nov 22, 2009 at 10:39 PM.
Closed Thread