SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 22, 2009, 07:34 PM
south shore MA.
Joined Oct 2008
181 Posts
Build Log
26" 1/18th scale scratch built Downeast(lobster) boat

Hello, some of you may have seen my brutal attempts at scratchbuilding this boat, well here is attempt 3. the fiberglass hull is 26" and I am building in roughly 1/18th scale giving a scale length of 39ft.
this time around I am going to attempt a bit more detail than the other 2 times. I am shooting for spread of working interior and exterior lights and a rotating radar. the boat is a downeast style hull commonly used for lobstering but I am going to model this boat after a Tuna/scallop dragger my father had when I was a kid.
here are some pictures of the first 2 builds.
CMEboston is offline Find More Posts by CMEboston
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2009, 07:46 PM
south shore MA.
Joined Oct 2008
181 Posts
Ver. 1.03

so I kept the cap rail from the second build but that is about it. A few changes were a accurate scale inwale height, flush deck to the transom(witch put the rudder servo under the deck). I also plan on making the whole structure removable including the trunk cabin top, witch was glued down in previous builds. the deck is a one peice 1/8 ply with two hatches cut out for battery compartments.
the wheelhouse will be what is called 2/3 split, allowing 2 steering stations one in, one out.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 07:55 PM
south shore MA.
Joined Oct 2008
181 Posts
After I get started on the house I think I should be able to build it off the boat. the hull needs some work. plan on stripping the bottom,then fill and fair the gaps between the caprail and hull and fair a feiw voids she is going to be painted by our boat painter, we have some extra awlgrip fighting lady yellow, what do you think
Old Nov 22, 2009, 08:14 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,429 Posts
Nice! Reminds me of the Midwest shrimp dragger:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250531859414
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Nov 29, 2009, 06:25 PM
south shore MA.
Joined Oct 2008
181 Posts
Windows consume me

Here are some updates.the windows exercised my pateince for sure,I built each house side twice,thats what it took to get the windows right. I have learned a bit about my new scroll saw though. now it is time to fill the voids and start fairing. I was going to use polycrilic to seal the wood for paint but also thought about using filler and could use some advice.
The cabin side and back are going to have doors in them, but I think ill just paint them on, well see.
Old Dec 04, 2009, 08:38 AM
south shore MA.
Joined Oct 2008
181 Posts
not much time to work on here. I did manage to bould the removable cabin roof, I think it will be permanatly attached after I seal up the wood, do the cabin details and put the windows in.
Old Dec 05, 2009, 10:44 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,315 Posts
CME: She looks fantastic! Really nice job of scratching the deck and cabin structure. What kind of scroll saw do you have?

BTW, love the 'old skool' calendar.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Dec 05, 2009, 12:01 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,731 Posts
CEMboston- I really like the lines of this lobster boat hull. I epically like the flair on the bow and that she seams a little beamier toward the bow than most of the lobster boat designs. Your workmanship so far is really good , and not seeing the your previous builds you mentioned, can no reason for your statement that workmanship was a brutal attempt.
Keep up the good work. We need more modelers to attempt scratch building or building of any type to keep the hobby and art form alive.
Are you building from plans or your own design. If it is your own design, please post the plans in a PDF file format if you would be so kind. I am really following this thread with great interest.
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old Dec 05, 2009, 07:43 PM
south shore MA.
Joined Oct 2008
181 Posts
Kmot, My scroll saw is a Task force from Lowes, it was a floor model and I picked it up for $25 IIRC. I got the calender at a Furuno (marine electronics manufacturer) seminar from some good ol boys with a shop on the outer banks.

Frank, there are alot of different down east designs, most of the builds on here are, and the midwest model, are older traditional hulls, since the deisel was made practical in the marine market hullforms became wider and deeper. there are a few other designs that have more flair than this, infact I would comment that this hull has moderate flair. I dont know who's design this particular hull is, it actually has a little more of a "novi" hullform. My freind had this hull in his garage and I splashed it. there are no plans whatsoever and it is all from my head, actually I am not comletely happy with the lines on the trunk cabin but Im gonna roll with it. I have a set of templates for the cabin in the first post, the one with 2 windows. Sorry I dont have any plans. I have been scratch building on glass hulls for a while now, I just cant seem to finish em! Never really liked kits, I run ito issues with filling, fairing and painting but I think I will get through this one without getting too frustrated. seems I get hung up on all the little details!!

Thanks for the good words, Ill post some updates soon, I got 2 weeks of vacation time I gotta use before 2010.

John C.
Old Dec 06, 2009, 09:54 AM
Joined Dec 2009
58 Posts
Am looking for a fixer upper lobster boat hull or complete boat. Haven't had experience with frame and planking but am great at rehab work. Right now I have a U.S.C.G. powered lifeboat that I bought over 25 years ago in 1/16 scale that I'd like to have a companion boat of same scale, the lobster boat peaking my interest. Am restricted by limited funds due to age (67). Know of any?
crazy yank
crazy yank is offline Find More Posts by crazy yank
Old Dec 06, 2009, 10:20 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,731 Posts
crazy jank- Why don't you try building the hull from a kit. You are retiared so you have the time and you can buy a brand new DUMAS kit of the U.S.C.G. 40' UTILITY and just change the house on it to what ever you like. The real 40' utilitys were designed after a down east hull like the lobster boats. You can order them diredt from DUMAS in their discontinued boats section.http://www.dumasestore.com/catalog/i...;)cPath=136_58

P.S. The kit is only $75.00 brand new.
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old Dec 06, 2009, 10:47 AM
Joined Dec 2009
58 Posts
lobster boat rehab

Thanks, Frankg.

Right now they've got the 41' utility boat for $40, so I'm gonna do some looking and thinking about it. Looks promising, just glancing at it. I never would have thought of doing it this way.

My lifeboat is Dumas also, so I'm familiar with their kits. I bought the lifeboat for $25 partially done and with all my scale improvements, I could probably sell it for close to $1000, if I were so inclined, but I'm not.

crazy yank
Old Dec 06, 2009, 11:19 AM
Joined Dec 2009
58 Posts
Frankg,

Just got thru looking at the Dumas utility craft.... problem is the small size (17").
Thanks anyway for trying. I do appreciate the thought. I had one lined up on Ebay that was 30" long, but it sold for way too much money for me. I guess I'll continue my search for something in the 30" range. That way the scale of my lifeboat and the lobster boat would be compatible.

crazy yank
Old Dec 06, 2009, 01:16 PM
south shore MA.
Joined Oct 2008
181 Posts
You could make me an offer for one of my hulls, I have the mold.
Old Dec 06, 2009, 05:28 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,583 Posts
Dumas makes a 1:16th scale version of the 41' UTB as well, 31" long...
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal