Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 22, 2009, 03:28 PM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Oct 2002
224 Posts
Discussion
First Foamy Jet Flies - Dynamic Foamy F22

All,

Yesterday was the inaugural flights of my first official profile jet, a Dynamic Foamy F22.

Length = 31 "
Span = 20" (originally 22", but shortened to fit on 20x30 foamboard)
Dollar Store foamboard (paper left on for strength)
AUW = 8.3 oz
1450 kV Outrunner
GWS 6050 prop
10-Amp ESC
2x 9-gram servos
11.1V 500 mAh lipo
Spektrum 6110e RX

It was a great flying plane and I ended up with several nice flights (and unfortunately a few rough landings during the day). Once I got over the initial shock of how strong the torque roll could be on takeoff, I was able to get her launched nicely for some flying around the local field. Even got a couple loops in !! I'm very pleased given this is my first official RC plane. By the end of the day, a few rough nose-ins had pretty much destroyed the nose, but to my surprise, once I reattached the battery and verified the CG again, it kept flying even with the nose a mess. It really took a beating a kept on flying.

Obviously, it's to the point now where I need to rebuild it. I was toying with the idea of just gluing on a new nose, but given I can trace a rebuild this on $1.50 worth of foam, so I'm not sure it's worth messing with to just rebuild the nose itself.

The one thing that does concern me is the placement of the gear with regards to crashes. The battery is velcroed right in front to get the CG right with the rear pusher motor. Most crashes had the battery fly off, and a few had the ESC and RX come off of their double-sided tape too. I'm concerned that a future crash might damage any of these (and obviously a damaged lipo can be a safety concern). I've considered my next jet might be one with a mid-mounted motor and internal compartment to protect the gear from flying off (like the F15 / F22 models by abradley - nicohobbies.com).

All in all I'm hooked !! Thanks for the great jet Team Dynamic !!

Pete
Buckeye95 is offline Find More Posts by Buckeye95
Last edited by Buckeye95; Nov 22, 2009 at 05:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2009, 03:45 PM
Master of the figure 9
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2004
2,671 Posts
THIS IS YOUR FIRST RC PLANE!!! WOW. Kudos on the maiden. Great looking build. I say cut the nose off and put on a new one. Much quicker than a new build. Try to remember to pull a LITTLE up elevator at touch down to avoid digging the nose in on landing.

David
Old Man is offline Find More Posts by Old Man
Old Nov 22, 2009, 05:11 PM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Oct 2002
224 Posts
David,

Thanks for the comments. By first RC plane, I mean the first one that was not toy-grade from either Walmart or Target (I have flown both Aero-Aces and Tyco Skyforce planes in the past). Additionally, I have a lot of helicopter experience (Honeybee, and Blade CX, MCX, and MSR). I know the helicopter experience was a help with orientation and having some of the basics of RC down.

Pete
Buckeye95 is offline Find More Posts by Buckeye95
Old Nov 22, 2009, 06:31 PM
Master of the figure 9
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2004
2,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye95 View Post
David,

Thanks for the comments. By first RC plane, I mean the first one that was not toy-grade from either Walmart or Target (I have flown both Aero-Aces and Tyco Skyforce planes in the past). Additionally, I have a lot of helicopter experience (Honeybee, and Blade CX, MCX, and MSR). I know the helicopter experience was a help with orientation and having some of the basics of RC down.

Pete
So it really is your first hobby grade fixed wing plane. Was your first car an F-1 racer! Because your first real plane was!!! Be proud, it looks great and you brough her down in one piece repeatedly.

GREAT JOB!!!!

David
Old Man is offline Find More Posts by Old Man
Old Apr 10, 2010, 01:13 AM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
I bought one of these from Dynamic Foamy. Powered it with a small Hacker motor. It is pretty fun. Nice job.

e
egaus is offline Find More Posts by egaus