Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 22, 2009, 02:05 PM
One of the usual suspects
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2007
1,470 Posts
Mini-Review
Delta Twin 456MB from HPI Racing - 2 EDF Jet Foamy!

My LHS got several of these RTF in stock, and I decided to get one. It is a twin EDF with 5300kv inrunners, and a delta wing design. It comes with a 4 channel 72mhz transmitter and receiver, a 1000mah Lipo and a balancing charger, and 2 servos and two ESCs are installed. Batteries are not included for the TX. Peel and stick decals are included, so you can use them or paint and decorate it to your own taste.

Manufacturer's websites:

http://www.456mb.eu/aircraft.php?partNo=66294&lang=en
http://www.456mb.com/66290.php

These are the only previous threads I found on RCG:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=delta+twin
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1127742

And here is a Youtube video:
456MB DeltaTwin RTF (1 min 5 sec) (1 min 5 sec)

Likes: Cool design, Nearly fully assembled, (So much included!), Option of not using stickers.
Dislikes: Charger not AC powered, 72mhz radio (although a PNP is supposedly available) Funky battery connector (When I get more lipos for it, I will replace with power poles.)

I will assemble this bird and give a flight report soon. (weather here is bad today...) I think I will substitute a 2.4Ghz RX and save the included radio system for donation.
Vicarious is online now Find More Posts by Vicarious
Last edited by Vicarious; Nov 22, 2009 at 08:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2010, 08:08 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,603 Posts
as if I didn't have enough planes and as if the significant other isn't sick of "all that stuff" I took the plunge and bought this plane. As long as the stock power system works I'll keep it and have heard the the wing are a little thin. Maybe some CF. Other than that a DSM2 Rcvr and that's probably all the mods I'll do. I'll let you know how it turns out.
kenstogie is online now Find More Posts by kenstogie
Old Jan 18, 2010, 05:16 PM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,603 Posts
The plane arrived and it looks to be worth 89 bucks for an RTF. First thing I did was got rid of those tamiya type connectors and swithced it to Deans. Havn't had a chance to crash it errr I mean fly it but spring's coming. Also does anyone know what the COG is?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 08:58 PM
Joined Jun 2007
1,470 Posts
The best flights I had were with the battery all the way back - to the end of the velcro. I would mark where the cg is with that. Since it's not in the directions - you just have to hope! Mine is so rebuilt, that I don't know where it is. If you take my suggestion, would you take a picture of where it balances? Otherwise, maybe someone else will post.

Fair winds on your maiden!
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:43 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicarious View Post
The best flights I had were with the battery all the way back - to the end of the velcro. I would mark where the cg is with that. Since it's not in the directions - you just have to hope! Mine is so rebuilt, that I don't know where it is. If you take my suggestion, would you take a picture of where it balances? Otherwise, maybe someone else will post.

Fair winds on your maiden!
Generally if I don't know what the COG is I keep it nose heavy. So I'll put it all the way forward. Might be the wrong choice but.... Besides it's not like there's a whol lot of room anyway. Even if (when) I crash it I will buy a sheet of depron and throw the electronics on there or just pillage the heck out of the electronics. Thanks and I'll let you know how it goes!
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:49 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,603 Posts
456MB Delta Twin Flight 20090823 (2 min 17 sec)

this guy says to add a little weight in the front
"Batteries and power are all standard. In front of the battery, and add a little weight. "
Old Jan 20, 2010, 08:53 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Finally, someone got one of these! Thanks for posting your impressions and pics, Vicarious and Ken.

I love the looks..what a great looking shape. I'm dying to check out the video (can't do it from here ).

Does anyone know of an online US based vendor who is selling these?
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:03 AM
Joined Jun 2007
1,470 Posts
EBAY Search "Delta Twin"
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:34 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,603 Posts
I got mine from RCPlanet for a measly 89 bucks and it was RTF. I figured I could part it out if the airframe was so-so. I now have about 15 crappy lipo chargers.
I swapped out the tamiya connectors. other than that I am gonna maiden it stock.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:39 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,603 Posts
There is very little on these planes in the way of video. The parent company is HPI racing so so I don't think it's junk electronics like Harborfreight stuff and the like.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:53 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,603 Posts
http://www.rcplanet.com/Hot_Bodies_D...p/hbs66290.htm

I have only bought from them once but I had very good luck with my purchase, recieved it in under a week.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:21 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Got mine off of Feebay about 2 months ago. Flew it for the first time a few weeks ago on a pretty windy day. This is my first delta/wing style plane, I usually fly training style foamies. This thing flew great! Fast (well, for me it was) and extremely responsive. How can you beat it 100 delivered?

One bizzare thing though. About 5 minutes into the flight I heard some odd noises coming from the engines, not the high whine noise that normally is made. It was almost like a studder, then the power/responsiveness was decreased. Turns out I lost thrust in one engine. Plane still flew great on one engine past the downwind leg, then turned to land into the wind...almost a perfect landing.

Turns out the fan blade came off the engine shaft. Oddly enough I had three chunks of the wing taken out, but in front of the fan. Anyway, no problem I thought, I have two other fan blade assemblies. Low and hehold, there is a brass fitting that goes over the shaft, and of course that's not available as a part. I just got off the phone with the company and told them what happened, they send a new engine pod/assembly out free of charge! Considering they charge $430.00 for the plane direct from them, I expected to be billed.

I'll update once it comes in, and also try to get a pic of of my paintjob for the plane.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:59 AM
Joined Jun 2007
1,470 Posts
Just wanted to add a link to another thread on the Delta Twin that kenstogie started: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1171652
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:53 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Got mine off of Feebay about 2 months ago. Flew it for the first time a few weeks ago on a pretty windy day. This is my first delta/wing style plane, I usually fly training style foamies. This thing flew great! Fast (well, for me it was) and extremely responsive. How can you beat it 100 delivered?

One bizzare thing though. About 5 minutes into the flight I heard some odd noises coming from the engines, not the high whine noise that normally is made. It was almost like a studder, then the power/responsiveness was decreased. Turns out I lost thrust in one engine. Plane still flew great on one engine past the downwind leg, then turned to land into the wind...almost a perfect landing.

Turns out the fan blade came off the engine shaft. Oddly enough I had three chunks of the wing taken out, but in front of the fan. Anyway, no problem I thought, I have two other fan blade assemblies. Low and hehold, there is a brass fitting that goes over the shaft, and of course that's not available as a part. I just got off the phone with the company and told them what happened, they send a new engine pod/assembly out free of charge! Considering they charge $430.00 for the plane direct from them, I expected to be billed.

I'll update once it comes in, and also try to get a pic of of my paintjob for the plane.
Thanks for telling me. I will put a drop of CA on that and hopefully it'll lock it down.

Last edited by kenstogie; Jan 26, 2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:13 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,603 Posts
One of the other threads Advice
"Make sure you launch this plane with plenty of authority and make sure it is at full throttle, also adjust the control rods to get more throw. The default throw settings give very limited control, beware."