HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:12 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Build Log
Remodeling the RC Aerodyne/Heliartist 450 UH-1

Edit:

A little journey in the process of making this fuselage look something like this .....

And on with the show!
---------------------------------------------------

I got enough stuff done to my RC Aerodyne version Heliartist 450 UH-1 to start a build thread...so here it goes.

I picked the RC Aerodyne version because the tail rotor area in the fuselage is uncut, so a more to scale left tail rotor can be had. But there are some other issues which I think needed addressing in these 450 hueys, so I'm setting out to make them a little bit more the way I want them:

First off, the fuselage is supplied with some generic skids which arent the closest to the 1:1 version (actually they ship the Heliartist AS-350 front skids with these UH1's). So with a tubing bender, some brass tubing, and some black paint, I made some new down tubes that are a little closer:

The skid downtube positions need adjusting also, the rear downtubes are too far forward as-supplied, so some wood was epoxyed to where the new location will be:

To get rid of the recess where the downtube was formerly located, some filler was used:

Moving elsewhere, my fuselage was rather droopy in the top:

So some CF tube I had laying around was epoxyed to strengthen and straighten the roof:

A little better now:

One of the main detractors of this fuselage in stock form is the windshield, it is too small. A Dremel cutting wheel attack solved that:

But now how do you fit the suppled windshield to the fuselage? You dont. Make a new one! Some .030 clear polyester sheet was obtained:

And taped into place to the window opening:

After around a minute in a pre-heated 200F* oven, sprinkle with sugar, and serve. Ta-da...one curved windsheild that fits:

I also trimmed out the door windows for a better appearance. I am still deciding if I should just leave it like this, or cut them out fully and put a window there with painted-on window details more like the 1:1 model. This opening does make a nice grab point to remove the top for battery access. I'll make a final decision further in the build.

Well, that's all for now, more later
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Last edited by SidewaysLS4; Jul 11, 2011 at 05:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:27 AM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,202 Posts
Great job Sideways. A shame the factory can't get it right. Painting over that hideous green with an olive drab will also be a big improvement if you're doing a US Army Huey. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers - Boyd
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:44 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverup View Post
Great job Sideways. A shame the factory can't get it right. Painting over that hideous green with an olive drab will also be a big improvement if you're doing a US Army Huey. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers - Boyd
Thanks! Yeah, it is going to lose the ? green. Initially I was thinking the usual Helo Drab repaint, but since I have 2 birds like this, and didnt like the Vietnam era Olive Drab, and want a bit more visibility, maybe some sort of Desert Sand color might work. I need to scrounge around to see if maybe some ARNG Hueys that might have been still in service back in the 80-90's might have went to Desert Storm and got hosed down with some tan CARC like the vehicles. Need a few pictures of that
Old Nov 22, 2009, 01:18 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
I dont even think that is a vietnam era OD green used on Helicopters.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Nov 22, 2009, 01:44 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,748 Posts
Great modeling skills. Nothing like being able to take a basic kit and turn it into a true-to-scale model. I'm looking forward to the rest of the build.
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old Nov 22, 2009, 07:01 PM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2004
1,831 Posts
I search and search internet and come out something like this (correct me if I'm wrong):
Prior before UH-1C, they paint their UH-1A/B heli with shinny Army green with shinny red/yellow paint here and there.
Then maybe due to easily spotted by enemy, they beginning to change their color theme to Olive Drab with minor striking color here and there.

But the HeliArtist uses green color that does not look like normal Army Green and definitely not Olive Drab.

I got my HeliArtist UH-1B gelcoat version instead. Just like u all, I try to mod it as scale as possible. Already cut open one side of the cargo door but now trying to figuring out whether should I build another cargo door (due to the stock cargo door window too big) or just modify the cut out cargo door?

SH
Super_Hornet is offline Find More Posts by Super_Hornet
Old Nov 22, 2009, 07:07 PM
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,202 Posts
Somehow I knew SuperHornet would have his magic working on something like this.

Cheers - Boyd
Old Nov 22, 2009, 07:27 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Yeah, the origional colors in the 60's were FS34087. Then they went to FS34031. Of course fading results in the colors changing over time. Now it seems just black is running the course in Army aviation considering the latest Littlebird variants.

Can you make a photo of the open doors? I think that would be pretty neat to do, I'd like to see how you did it.

3 guesses what the color of mine is ending up being...
Old Nov 22, 2009, 07:58 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Paint your heli the US Army way...

http://www.freeflightdesign.com/pdf/...500-345-23.pdf
Old Nov 22, 2009, 08:47 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Sideways,

did you get the right belt?
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 22, 2009, 09:26 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Nope, still waiting for it. I called and they said it shipped out I believe Wednesday, so if that was UPS...Tuesday? Or the mail..tommorrow. I got the week off, lets see if I can get this flying while the weather is still sort of ok around here (I'm in Chicago too)

I wish I had the belt so I could see how long this boom is going to be...then I can do the servo cable, and finalize the fuselage setup/paint the rest. Progress ground to a halt again, lol.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:11 PM
USA, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Dec 2007
952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4 View Post
Nope, still waiting for it. I called and they said it shipped out I believe Wednesday, so if that was UPS...Tuesday? Or the mail..tommorrow. I got the week off, lets see if I can get this flying while the weather is still sort of ok around here (I'm in Chicago too)

I wish I had the belt so I could see how long this boom is going to be...then I can do the servo cable, and finalize the fuselage setup/paint the rest. Progress ground to a halt again, lol.

Lookin good!, ya gonna do rivits to?
prop bender is offline Find More Posts by prop bender
Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:30 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prop bender View Post
Lookin good!, ya gonna do rivits to?
Thanks! No, nothing that fancy. But I might be caught doing something like a bit of screen material scavenged from a computer fan filter glued into the engine bay openings:

A little coarser than the 1:1 model, but hey...

Speaking of openings...I gotta spam a bit about this file set I recently bought. I really like it, nice and quality-like, and good for fixing any opening to make it right in these fuselages. Hey...all the supplied windows fit now, lol
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:47 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
...Fast Forward

Well, here it is as of now. Still needs a working airframe, black out the head, different color main blades, "United States Army" decals on the boom, and paint the tail cap. Once I get that needed belt for the tail I'll take a few shots of how the left side tail rotor can be done.

Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:51 PM
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4 View Post
Well, here it is as of now. Still needs a working airframe, black out the head, different color main blades, "United States Army" decals on the boom, and paint the tail cap. Once I get that needed belt for the tail I'll take a few shots of how the left side tail rotor can be done.

The paint job is super, so much better than that "Swine Flu Green" that was on it.