HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:28 PM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,501 Posts
I am looking for a plan that is easy for a first time builder. I want to use the gear out of a battered sukhoi with the p-51 motor. A wing plan would be cool but remember this is a first time build.

Thanks

Rick
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:33 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
I am looking for a plan that is easy for a first time builder. I want to use the gear out of a battered sukhoi with the p-51 motor. A wing plan would be cool but remember this is a first time build.

Thanks

Rick
I did this as my first ever build. It was fun--more than I thought it'd be.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:51 PM
Good Times!
Joined Feb 2011
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post

Thanks

Rick
go here http://www.stevensaero.com/UltraMicr...p-1-c-336.html
it doesnt get any better for 1st time builds
Micro Budget is offline Find More Posts by Micro Budget
Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:49 AM
Joined May 2011
1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
Beautiful plane. I am looking for a stable airplane. A 3d style plane looks a little scary! We (sons and me) are still learning and I would like to know a little more of the flight characteristics.

You used a brush-less set-up. Would stock p-51 work?

Thanks for the reply and the excellent plans. I am guessing that if printed the Adobe files should be at a 1:1 scale.

Rick
Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:05 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1,585 Posts
Actually, mine's brushed. Same motor you'd find in a 4Site, UM P-51, and Su-26XP. I think if you turn the rates down and expo up, the plane is quite stable.

Admittedly, the first plane entirely for me was a 38" DW Foamies Yak-54. Even though it's a 3D aircraft, mine's a little under-powered, so I learned to fly it more scale/sport style and as I got more brave, started tossing in extra maneuvers
Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:07 AM
Joined May 2011
1,501 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Actually, mine's brushed. Same motor you'd find in a 4Site, UM P-51, and Su-26XP. I think if you turn the rates down and expo up, the plane is quite stable.

Admittedly, the first plane entirely for me was a 38" DW Foamies Yak-54. Even though it's a 3D aircraft, mine's a little under-powered, so I learned to fly it more scale/sport style and as I got more brave, started tossing in extra maneuvers
I have a dx5. No expo. How would it fly of low rate w/o expo?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:10 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1,585 Posts
I'm pretty sure it would. I've got a DX6i, and have flown it (accidentally) on low rates a couple times. Scared myself when I did because I'm used to flying in a small area and turning at the last moment because the big control surfaces + high rates means I can turn on a dime, lol.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 01:56 PM
Joined May 2011
1,501 Posts
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it would. I've got a DX6i, and have flown it (accidentally) on low rates a couple times. Scared myself when I did because I'm used to flying in a small area and turning at the last moment because the big control surfaces + high rates means I can turn on a dime, lol.
How fast is it?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 02:03 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,585 Posts
It flies very slowly. You can see some videos in my build thread. In particular, note the small amount of space I'm flying in.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:54 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,627 Posts
What is currently the cheapest way to get the Um Rx, servos, motor for custom builds? Cheaper to but a complete UM or buy the components?

Looking to possibly build a flat foamie UM F117 so would need the 2 seperate servos to mount on delta wing for elevon control.

I'm thinking its probbably as cheap to like a 4-site or something?

Also can the BRUSHED motors be reversed as this would need to be a push setup? (edit - I said brushless but menat brushed).
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Last edited by flitelab; Jul 27, 2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:00 PM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
What is currently the cheapest way to get the Um Rx, servos, motor for custom builds? Cheaper to but a complete UM or buy the components?

Looking to possibly build a flat foamie UM F117 so would need the 2 seperate servos to mount on delta wing for elevon control.

I'm thinking its probbably as cheap to like a 4-site or something?

Also can the brushless motors be reversed as this would need to be a push setup?
the brushless motor reverse is an easy one, just swap two wires.
as for UM internals. i just got an AR6400 and servo off ebay at less than 1/3rd of the price of a whole aircraft. granted its 2nd hand but it is all complete and in very good condition.
also there are many new items for sale on Hobbyking for building UM aircraft.
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:02 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord chris View Post
the brushless motor reverse is an easy one, just swap two wires.
as for UM internals. i just got an AR6400 and servo off ebay at less than 1/3rd of the price of a whole aircraft. granted its 2nd hand but it is all complete and in very good condition.
also there are many new items for sale on Hobbyking for building UM aircraft.
Sorry meant to say brushed motor reverse since that is what most UM use.

Trying to decide to go with the brushed setup or perhaps pickup a Beast as a doner for a build as it would give a bit more power with brushless and allow for bigger size.

I'll check ebay and some local forsale listings.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:59 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Buy a new UM 4 site for $70, gut it and sell the airframe and box for $25.

You'll get a new L brick, 2 L servos and a Black belled, long lead motor motor for $45
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jul 27, 2011, 01:01 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post

You'll get a new L brick, 2 L servos and a Black belled, long lead motor motor for $45
Thanks, that is what I was thinking if I go brushed. But thinking on it more be nice to get rid of the gearbox setup that brushless would offer.

Perhaps I'll go with a Beast for $130 and fly it first then go from there if I ever have to pickup any pieces
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 27, 2011, 01:04 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post

Even better...just buy the 4Site, fly it and enjoy it for awhile, wait until it gets wrecked, then gut it.

Works better if you're like me and tend to be a little ham-fisted with the knife