HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2009, 06:21 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
Off topic: Does my sharp eyes se a F14 TomCat?
Yes you do.. 1/7 scale 110" ws, 110" long. Will be offered as a kit late next year. It only takes, 6,000 ar6400 bricks to fly it. lol
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2009, 06:36 PM
Love the sport, not the plane
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2009
1,231 Posts
Very funny !
dylantorquerol is offline Find More Posts by dylantorquerol
Old Dec 11, 2009, 07:05 PM
Nothing flies like a Pitts
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Aug 2006
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
Yes you do.. 1/7 scale 110" ws, 110" long. Will be offered as a kit late next year. It only takes, 6,000 ar6400 bricks to fly it. lol
I think 200 would do lol, and a pain in the arse to bind. and i guess you could have a úber edf running on 800v
Meshuggah is offline Find More Posts by Meshuggah
Old Dec 11, 2009, 07:08 PM
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2009
1,231 Posts
Could you actually do that? Use like 200… or 20?
Old Dec 11, 2009, 07:17 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
I think 200 would do lol, and a pain in the arse to bind. and i guess you could have a úber edf running on 800v
haha... very true.. anyways, here's a link to the build thread for those interested:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8868360/tm.htm
Old Dec 11, 2009, 10:26 PM
Joined Jan 2009
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
Meshuggah, every time i see this, i almost break down into a fit of unworthyness, often accompanied by a big feeling of I WANT THAT NOW AND ILL KILL TO GET IT
I have to second that..
Makes me want to go out and buy some Durobatics.

What CAD tools did you use? I've not had any luck finding anything useful that is easy enough to use for this purpose.
MikeW9 is offline Find More Posts by MikeW9
Old Dec 12, 2009, 01:06 AM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylantorquerol View Post
Could you actually do that? Use like 200… or 20?
Depends what Tx you are using. but it is theoretically possible
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Dec 12, 2009, 01:49 AM
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2009
1,231 Posts
GUESS WHAT I JUST STARTED BUILDING! 6th Ver. 4 micro 14"! Yay! It is 14" for the WS. AUW should be about 45-60g. I am just guessing.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 01:13 PM
Joined Sep 2009
3,765 Posts
i think the weight is far too heavy, for a plane of that size you are going to be needing 35-40g max. That looks close to the 4-site, depending on your success, i may have a go. Have you started a build thread and what size Depron is that?
Old Dec 12, 2009, 02:20 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,158 Posts
Weight does seem a bit on the high side, but if your going brushless, just throw more power on it

I've got 4 flights on mine so far, and it will literally fly around under 1/4 throttle at just over a walking pace (but much lower than a jog). Long down-lines w/ the power pulled to idle (and no ESC braking) it doesn't pick up much speed. rolls are fairly axial, knife edge requires very little rudder. inverted just a touch of down elevator. slow 1 roll Rolling circles can get interesting though. If you feed to much rudder into it, it will actually counter-act the ailerons and stop rolling and just start going into a knife-edge loop, so you have to be very smooth and precise with the rudder. I've got mine balanced about 1/3 of the way back on the upper wing and it seems about perfect, as their is no knife edge coupling in this position.

If you are using 2mm depron for the fuselage, i would recommend adding another layer around the motor mounting area, or some very lightweight fiberglass cloth (1/2oz would do on both sides). This is one thing on mine that i wish i had done, but didn't think it was necessary, but have found out it is (the 6th doesn't like tree's).

Also use some extremely small carbon tubing and run "V" bracing down the bottom of the fuselage from the tail all the way to the nose. The weight gain was only 3-4g on my model using .050" carbon rod and it is much stronger. For the wings, i suggest doing an "X" brace w/ .050" carbon rod as well. The aft brace should go thru the outboard upper wing, the hover flap area, the lower fuselage and then into the lower wing. Then the forward one should go thru the outboard lower wing, upper fuselage, inboard upper wing.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 03:11 PM
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2009
1,231 Posts
Thanks! That is very helpful. I will use a little more foam bracing for the side fuse V. The AUW I gave was just a rough guess. My AUW on my Micro Avion 16" was 31g. I have a shorter WS, but 2 wings. I guess 45g. is my max. I am also going to use an APO5, Thunder Bird 6A, maybe 240mah 20c 2 cell. I will start a build log after I finish this reply. When you said Staples didn't cut it right, does that mean they cut it with a CNC machine for you? That would be nice.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 03:18 PM
Joined Sep 2009
3,765 Posts
Very nice! Video? Oh, and build thread/plans?
Last edited by Bowerz; Dec 12, 2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 03:27 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylantorquerol View Post
Thanks! That is very helpful. I will use a little more foam bracing for the side fuse V. The AUW I gave was just a rough guess. My AUW on my Micro Avion 16" was 31g. I have a shorter WS, but 2 wings. I guess 45g. is my max. I am also going to use an APO5, Thunder Bird 6A, maybe 240mah 20c 2 cell. I will start a build log after I finish this reply. When you said Staples didn't cut it right, does that mean they cut it with a CNC machine for you? That would be nice.
they didn't print it right.. i asked them to print it at 65% of actual size (18" ws), but they printed it to fit the paper size (which ended up being 20" ws).
Old Dec 12, 2009, 03:30 PM
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2009
1,231 Posts
Thanks. I just added everything up, and AUW should be 41g. It will probably be awhile before I get electronics, but I could get them for Christmas. So no vids yet.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 03:30 PM
Joined Sep 2009
3,765 Posts
i think i will do 18" WS if i can get the plans, i have a tool for scaling and tiling