Old Feb 06, 2011, 06:35 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dflyboy1 View Post
Has anyone considered a micro sopwith?
Which Sopwith? Several to choose from, and yes they have been done. Should be a good flyer BTW.
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Feb 06, 2011, 08:00 PM
USA, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined Dec 2010
213 Posts
I was thinking of a sopwith camel with snoopy at the controls
3dflyboy1 is offline Find More Posts by 3dflyboy1
Old Feb 06, 2011, 09:53 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
I was thinking of a sopwith camel with snoopy at the controls
Good choice, but cheat a little making the nose slightly longer, no one will probably notice, but do expect to put most of your gear up in the cowl area. The Pup would probably be a little more pilot friendly in my opinion. Love to see what you come up with!

Fred
Old Feb 07, 2011, 05:47 PM
USA, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined Dec 2010
213 Posts
I like the look of those peanut scale WWI birds a couple pages back. Hopefully I can find plans for a Sopwith Camel (or Pup?). Next thing I'll need is a Fokker DR1 for some competition! Making the nose longer is only for fitting the gear, right? no flying/aerodynamic affect?
3dflyboy1 is offline Find More Posts by 3dflyboy1
Old Feb 07, 2011, 05:54 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,389 Posts
QuickOats 100

In the style of our SkyBuggy 100 - here's a toon'ed up version of the Flying Quaker old-timer the QuickOats 100.

Scott Ginn's Excellent Build Log Here

Specs:

Flying Weight 1.8oz
Area 100 Sq. In.
Span 21.75 in.
Length 15 in.
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Feb 07, 2011, 06:02 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,389 Posts
1926 Farman Carte Postale

Here's another vintage looker - the 1926 Farman "Carte Postale" or Post Card. The 1926 Farman was derived by combining a sport "David" fuselage with a section of the "Goliath" wing. Original colors are thought to be a red fuselage with white lettering / silver flying surface with black lettering. Our builder took some liberty with this one and used red for the lettering on the wing.

We deviated a touch from scale outline on the H. Stab and V. Fin to favor good in-flight manners.

Specs:

Span: 16 in.
Area: 100 sq. in.
Length: 13 in.
Weight: 1.6 oz.
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Feb 07, 2011, 06:41 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
I like the look of those peanut scale WWI birds a couple pages back. Hopefully I can find plans for a Sopwith Camel (or Pup?). Next thing I'll need is a Fokker DR1 for some competition! Making the nose longer is only for fitting the gear, right? no flying/aerodynamic affect?
A little less twitchy or say more stable with a little added to the nose, somewhat less 'crazy aerobatic' which you will understand if you ever flew a Camel before!

Mainly so you can get closer to having her balance without a 1/2 ton of nose weight added, which is so typical of model WWI rotary engined aircraft.

The original full scale WWI birds had powerplants that were so heavy, they shortened the nose to do the same thing, help with balance!

Fred
Old Feb 07, 2011, 06:56 PM
USA, NC, Apex
Joined Aug 2003
836 Posts
Quote:
Not so much to make room as to get the C.G forward enough. The short nosed WWI rotory motor planes tend to end up tail heavy unless you either lengthen the nose a bit (doesn't need too much) or pay real attention to keeping everything very light in the back half of the fuselage and tail.

For my Sopwith Pup and Bristol Scout I had to put the battery right up against the back of the motor firewall and the rx/servo block right behind the battery and used very light building techniques for the fuse/tail.

If you plan ahead and pay attention it isn't too difficult to get it to balance.

Tim
Tim Cullip is offline Find More Posts by Tim Cullip
Old Feb 07, 2011, 10:27 PM
OY-5542
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Silkeborg
Joined Nov 2009
726 Posts
semi-scale Wilga

Here's a semi-scale Wilga I couldn't resist building:

Ultra Micro Wilga look-alike (0 min 15 sec)

Name: Ultra Micro Wilga.jpg
Views: 144
Size: 4.5 KB
Description: Ultra Micro semi-scale Wilga

It's made of 3mm, 6mm Depron and 3mm Epp. Plans were adapted and made after 3 view schemes. I had to make the cabin longer to allow the wing (not scale at all) to fit. The nose has been made a bit longer to and, together with the longer cabin, makes it easy to find the CG. The hole fuselage is also to narrow, Ups!
A nice litle feature, I think, is the elevators pushrod, it doesn't stick out of the fuselage at all.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to weigh it yet and I'll have to wait for better weither conditions to maiden.
Chrizz is offline Find More Posts by Chrizz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oxy 0.5
Old Feb 07, 2011, 10:53 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,568 Posts
Nice

is the wing epp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrizz View Post
Here's a semi-scale Wilga I couldn't resist building:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3143C2H6As4

Attachment 3787812

It's made of 3mm, 6mm Depron and 3mm Epp. Plans were adapted and made after 3 view schemes. I had to make the cabin longer to allow the wing (not scale at all) to fit. The nose has been made a bit longer to and, together with the longer cabin, makes it easy to find the CG. The hole fuselage is also to narrow, Ups!
A nice litle feature, I think, is the elevators pushrod, it doesn't stick out of the fuselage at all.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to weigh it yet and I'll have to wait for better weither conditions to maiden.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Feb 07, 2011, 11:40 PM
OY-5542
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Silkeborg
Joined Nov 2009
726 Posts
Yes, the wing is Epp. It's from a Epp glider...
Chrizz is offline Find More Posts by Chrizz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oxy 0.5
Old Feb 07, 2011, 11:42 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,568 Posts
Ah okay

Was gunna ask how you molded it that way.
She is a pretty quick plank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrizz View Post
Yes, the wing is Epp. It's from a Epp glider...
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Feb 08, 2011, 08:35 AM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
I just added guns to my AR6400 Albatros. Guns work off the gear channel.
Haha, my eyes nearly lost it watching that vid, really cool set up!
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
Old Feb 08, 2011, 03:54 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
Dumas 17.5" P-47
The ailerons still need to be painted, but I am fairly pleased with the way this plane flies.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1380780

I used the AR6400 out of a gutted P-51 and ran extended torque rods to the ailerons. The video is fairly short (and I do not crash at the end), but you get the idea of how this thing floats along. I will add a bigger prop (5043) to see how it handles some more speed.
danrc is offline Find More Posts by danrc