HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2011, 05:51 AM
USA, NC, Apex
Joined Aug 2003
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird View Post
Tim - what size 1S battery would be needed to run the AP03 for 5-6mins flight time? Thats really my only concern with going up from the AP02 as I was really trying to keep the weight down to allow a slower, more scale flight speed. Saying that for the second one I should be able to loose about 2-3g so it should come in at AUW around 20g - 21g with the addition of the BL motor & ESC.

Many thanks
I fly these planes on 100mah 20C 1S batteries, but you might want to consider 160mah since you'll probably want to prop it more aggressively than I do for my slow WWI birds. They are Peanut scale 13" wingspan planes with AUW between 23 and 24gm. Two of them use the AP03 (4000KV version since I don't need lots of power), the other one uses what started out life as a HobbyKing 5gm brushless motor and is now after major surgery a 3.1gm motor.

Tim
Tim Cullip is offline Find More Posts by Tim Cullip
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2011, 11:54 AM
I Toast Planes
Joined Jul 2010
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIT KID View Post
Here's my little pusher jet based off the Habu. Flies a lot like the p-51 with a little better roll rate. Looking to add thrust vectoring next!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu0SiGo4B8s

-Adam
Thats soo cool! Do you have plans for it?
bakon is offline Find More Posts by bakon
Old Feb 01, 2011, 12:06 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cullip View Post
I fly these planes on 100mah 20C 1S batteries, but you might want to consider 160mah since you'll probably want to prop it more aggressively than I do for my slow WWI birds. They are Peanut scale 13" wingspan planes with AUW between 23 and 24gm. Two of them use the AP03 (4000KV version since I don't need lots of power), the other one uses what started out life as a HobbyKing 5gm brushless motor and is now after major surgery a 3.1gm motor.

Tim
Nice squadron Tim. Need an Albatross and a Fokker DR1 to take them on. I must admit I'm between a rock and a hard place to either go spitfire for my next project to take on the 109 or tackle a 12" Spad in depron to get a good slow flier. Difficult decissions!

What prop sizes do you use on the AP03? I would love to stick to scale dia at about 4" but I notice the AP02 & 3 recommended prop size is 3" max. Any experience of running larger props on the 3?

J
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
Old Feb 01, 2011, 12:26 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Melrose, MA
Joined Jul 2005
1,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakon View Post
Thats soo cool! Do you have plans for it?
plans are posted here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1357621

-Adam
AJWoods is online now Find More Posts by AJWoods
Old Feb 01, 2011, 01:36 PM
USA, NC, Apex
Joined Aug 2003
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird View Post
What prop sizes do you use on the AP03? I would love to stick to scale dia at about 4" but I notice the AP02 & 3 recommended prop size is 3" max. Any experience of running larger props on the 3?

J
I think some folks have gone all the way up to 5" props on the AP03 for maximum thrust, but I tend to prop them very conservatively. I use the Parkzone props for the UM planes (cessna, citrabria, J3). I like the various 100mmx60mm props the best for my WWI birds. I can get about 7000rpm at 1.2 amps on a typical 100mmx60mm prop (this is with the 4000KV version of the AP03, you might want the 7500KV version).

And yes, I do need to do a German plane next, just haven't decided which one. Since I'm not doing ailerons at this size I need dihedral and it seems like most of the German WWI fighters were pretty dihedral-free (not that I can't do say a Fokker DVII with dihedral, it just doesn't look quite the same).

Tim
Old Feb 01, 2011, 02:02 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,931 Posts
Very nice birds Tim.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Feb 01, 2011, 05:49 PM
I Toast Planes
Joined Jul 2010
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIT KID View Post
Thanks im gonna start building now!
bakon is offline Find More Posts by bakon
Old Feb 01, 2011, 06:25 PM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Feb 2004
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cullip View Post

Tim
what is the covering on the yellow tigermoth?
sajeev is offline Find More Posts by sajeev
Old Feb 03, 2011, 08:51 PM
Crash Tester
USA, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Sep 2010
149 Posts
Here is my JU-87B Stuka from a Guillows 16" kit.
MiniStuka (0 min 54 sec)
Tuctronics is offline Find More Posts by Tuctronics
Old Feb 03, 2011, 09:16 PM
USA, WV, Parkersburg
Joined Jun 2007
914 Posts
Very nice, the take offs look so smooth. Where did you get the kit and is it stock or brushless?
Garrett1234567 is offline Find More Posts by Garrett1234567
Old Feb 03, 2011, 09:19 PM View Post
bakon
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. It is temporarily hidden while bakon edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 09:26 PM
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakon View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFM-YcLuOnU

Todays big news: The Blade Mcp x.
What exactly does this have to do with the Ar6400 Rx ??? --- Does the Blade Mcp have the AR6400 Rx installed ???
ckreef is offline Find More Posts by ckreef
Old Feb 04, 2011, 05:51 AM
USA, NC, Apex
Joined Aug 2003
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajeev View Post
what is the covering on the yellow tigermoth?
Sorry, thought I had already posted a response to this, but I guess I got interrupted and never hit "Submit Reply".

All three planes are covered in Japanese Esaki tissue. The yellow plane is a Bristol Scout and uses yellow Esaki (no paint, no sealer, just tissue). It's "too yellow" for a Bristol Scout, but hopefully it will fade over time. The SE5A and Sopwith Pup use green Esaki which would be way too bright a green by itself. I get the camo green look by rubbing brown artist's pastel chalk into the tissue (mostly on the back side, some on the front side), again no paint, no sealer.

The roundels were printed on tissue on a laser printer.

Tim
Old Feb 04, 2011, 08:28 AM
Surrey, UK
Joined Mar 2003
388 Posts
Wow! How do you get the wing into the printer??

PDR
Peter D Rieden is offline Find More Posts by Peter D Rieden
Old Feb 04, 2011, 08:53 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
I just added guns to my AR6400 Albatros. Guns work off the gear channel.

Here's a Video:

Slider2732 came up with the idea and I used a plug from Glenn2626 to interface Sliders idea into the AR6400.

Total weight gain including the Balsa & Styrene guns was 2.4g (The supplied plastic guns weigh over 1g, so it's only 1.4g over stock).

Details are in this thread:

Low Buck DIY Dual LED machine guns
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN