SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 14, 2010, 09:45 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,881 Posts
with the AR6400 - if a person were to use two external servos plugged into the brick as dual ailerons - do you need a servo reverser OR can you mix it that way in a programmabl radio like the DX6i for example?
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:31 AM
United States, IN, Cedar Lake
Joined Jun 2008
28 Posts
Here's one I designed some months ago; built this one last week. Uses all stock 4-Site gear with some minor mods to the gearbox to sit flush against the flat surfaces of the nose. This plane will be featured in an upcoming issue of RC Sport Flyer. WS is 18" AUW 32 grams; constructed of 2mm depron, 1mm carbon for landing gears and structure and .8mm for pushrods.
Plane flies fantastic, is very nuetral in all attitudes. can move a lil bit quick sometimes, am considering adding some speed brakes or a combination of those and some side force generators.

Here's a flying shot in the backyard

BeyondParallax is offline Find More Posts by BeyondParallax
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:12 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
with the AR6400 - if a person were to use two external servos plugged into the brick as dual ailerons - do you need a servo reverser OR can you mix it that way in a programmabl radio like the DX6i for example?
If you have the AR6400 set for dual ailerons, one will be forward, one will be reversed and the flap channel will not function. The RTF TX will work with this, too. No need to program the TX.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Nov 14, 2010, 11:56 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,881 Posts
thank you

so the reverse cable is only for ppl whom dont have a programmable tx?

OR wait a sec

dual ailerons wont work with rudder and elevator as well will they?

say you want to have an external servo for each aileron, plus use the brick for rudder and elevator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
If you have the AR6400 set for dual ailerons, one will be forward, one will be reversed and the flap channel will not function. The RTF TX will work with this, too. No need to program the TX.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 01:18 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
thank you

so the reverse cable is only for ppl whom dont have a programmable tx?

OR wait a sec

dual ailerons wont work with rudder and elevator as well will they?

say you want to have an external servo for each aileron, plus use the brick for rudder and elevator.
Huh?

You have 10,000 posts. What do you think?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 02:06 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,881 Posts
i've never done it before hence why I asked

I can always count on you to have some smart ass ignorant comment.

first you sabotage a "for sale thread" I had, and now you act like a douche.

If your going to be like this, then why even bother answering my posts?

Quote:
Huh?

You have 10,000 posts. What do you think?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 03:00 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,881 Posts
Very nice looks like a YAk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondParallax View Post
Here's one I designed some months ago; built this one last week. Uses all stock 4-Site gear with some minor mods to the gearbox to sit flush against the flat surfaces of the nose. This plane will be featured in an upcoming issue of RC Sport Flyer. WS is 18" AUW 32 grams; constructed of 2mm depron, 1mm carbon for landing gears and structure and .8mm for pushrods.
Plane flies fantastic, is very nuetral in all attitudes. can move a lil bit quick sometimes, am considering adding some speed brakes or a combination of those and some side force generators.

Here's a flying shot in the backyard

Old Nov 14, 2010, 03:55 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,775 Posts
Quote:
Yes, that will work. There are two sockets for external aileron servos and the onboard ones still work as rudder and elevator. You have to switch the setting on the brick to get separate aileron servos (for flaperons). The default is that one socket is just a reversed copy of the other.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Nov 14, 2010, 04:25 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
i've never done it before hence why I asked

I can always count on you to have some smart ass ignorant comment.

first you sabotage a "for sale thread" I had, and now you act like a douche.

If your going to be like this, then why even bother answering my posts?
I'm just curious what in your 10,000 posts on RCG would make you think the Elevator and Rudder servos on an AR6400 would stop working If you set it up for dual aileron servos.

Did you ever wonder how a 4-site worked? A great tip for you is to download a copy of the AR6400 manual and read it.

That isn't being a "smart ass". I really think it will be beneficial to you and answer many if not most of the questions you have with the AR6400.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 04:35 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,881 Posts
Ok

thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
Yes, that will work. There are two sockets for external aileron servos and the onboard ones still work as rudder and elevator. You have to switch the setting on the brick to get separate aileron servos (for flaperons). The default is that one socket is just a reversed copy of the other.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 04:42 PM
United States, IN, Cedar Lake
Joined Jun 2008
28 Posts
Settle down guys, here's how it works.

default (on AR6400L) is that both external servo plugs will operate off the aileron channel on the dx6i, one in normal, one in reverse. If you switch the brick into dual aileron mode, one servo will be linked to the aileron channel and the other to the flap channel. this also disables the reversing between the two plugs.
To do a dual aileron setup on the AR6400L, you need to switch the brick into the dual aileron mode, then set your transmitter to dual aileron also. then use your channel reversing in the transmitter to get them moving in the right directions. This is a good system, because you could also set the transmitter to flaperon and it would handle the mixing necessary in the transmitter without having to play with the brick settings beyond switching into dual aileron. Once in the dual aileron config, you can also set the flap switch to move both ailerons down a specified amount to effect a flap setup while preserving their aileron function. This is a great system, but the manual is a little vague on all the settings required to effect these different configs. The manual is very good, however, at showing how to make the parameter changes in the brick (powering it on with the sticks of the transmitter pointing in different directections). And yes, the elevator and rudder channels always work no matter the configuration of the aileron servos.

Hope this clears up any confusion!

Quote:
I'm just curious what in your 10,000 posts on RCG would make you think the Elevator and Rudder servos on an AR6400 would stop working If you set it up for dual aileron servos.

Did you ever wonder how a 4-site worked? A great tip for you is to download a copy of the AR6400 manual and read it.

That isn't being a "smart ass". I really think it will be beneficial to you and answer many if not most of the questions you have with the AR6400.
BeyondParallax is offline Find More Posts by BeyondParallax
Last edited by BeyondParallax; Nov 14, 2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 04:47 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,881 Posts
Well considering I am fairly new to planes and dont have a good working knowledge (outside of asking for help on here) of mixes/ AR6400 capabilities.

In response to my post count - well I like to read, comment, ask questions when needed, and I have in turn helped out many others by answering his or her questions.

I have wondered how the 4-site worked yes, WHICH is yet another reason I asked BECAUSE I do not have a 4-site.

I know the 4-site requires a programmable TX and wasn't sure if a person needed to do any programming outside of Expo and D/R.

Perhaps i'll take your advise and browse over the AR6400 manual, and perhaps you should take some lessons on etiquette and how to not be rude.

If you have a problem with my questions - then do not answer them!

You've been helpful to me in the past and I have been nothing but appreciative, BUT I do not appreciate you denoting a lack of intelligence on my behalf due to my post count and lack of knowledge because I ask questions

Quote:

Old Nov 14, 2010, 04:50 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,881 Posts
It does thank you

I am just trying to build a Superslow using the AR6400 and want to use 2 external servos for ailerons, and of course, use the default onboard servos for rudder and elevator.

thanks for info - I'll try it out!

Quote:

default is that both external servo plugs will operate off the aileron channel on the dx6i, one in normal, one in reverse. If you switch the brick into dual aileron mode, one servo will be linked to the aileron channel and the other to the flap channel. this also disables the reversing between the two plugs.
To do a dual aileron setup on the AR6400, you need to switch the brick into the dual aileron mode, then set your transmitter to dual aileron also. then use your channel reversing in the transmitter to get them moving in the right directions. This is a good system, because you could also set the transmitter to flaperon and it would handle the mixing necessary in the transmitter without having to play with the brick settings beyond switching into dual aileron. Once in the dual aileron config, you can also set the flap switch to move both ailerons down a specified amount to effect a flap setup while preserving their aileron function. This is a great system, but the manual is a little vague on all the settings required to effect these different configs. The manual is very good, however, at showing how to make the parameter changes in the brick (powering it on with the sticks of the transmitter pointing in different directections). And yes, the elevator and rudder channels always work no matter the configuration of the aileron servos.

Old Nov 14, 2010, 04:50 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Default on a 4-sites AR6400L is reverse ailerons. All other AR6400's default with the plugs channel 2 and channel 6.

The manual is simple to understand. The people that answer questions on RCG refer to it often. What you have typed is confusing and wrong.

Quote:

default is that both external servo plugs will operate off the aileron channel on the dx6i, one in normal, one in reverse. If you switch the brick into dual aileron mode, one servo will be linked to the aileron channel and the other to the flap channel. this also disables the reversing between the two plugs.
To do a dual aileron setup on the AR6400, you need to switch the brick into the dual aileron mode, then set your transmitter to dual aileron also. then use your channel reversing in the transmitter to get them moving in the right directions. This is a good system, because you could also set the transmitter to flaperon and it would handle the mixing necessary in the transmitter without having to play with the brick settings beyond switching into dual aileron. Once in the dual aileron config, you can also set the flap switch to move both ailerons down a specified amount to effect a flap setup while preserving their aileron function. This is a great system, but the manual is a little vague on all the settings required to effect these different configs. The manual is very good, however, at showing how to make the parameter changes in the brick (powering it on with the right stick of the transmitter pointing in different directections).

Old Nov 14, 2010, 05:00 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,881 Posts
Yet again - hence why i asked a question

Quote:
Default on a 4-sites AR6400L is reverse ailerons. All other AR6400's default with the plugs channel 2 and channel 6.

The manual is simple to understand. The people that answer questions on RCG refer to it often. What you have typed is confusing and wrong.