SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 26, 2010, 09:51 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW9 View Post
You still need to use the TX to get elevons right.
Right, but you can set the TX to elevons and it will work. With an AR6400, you have to burn mixes to get it to work right with elevons.

With the new Vapor brick, a DX5e can do elevons. You can't do that with an AR6400.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:06 PM
Joined Jan 2009
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Right, but you can set the TX to elevons and it will work. With an AR6400, you have to burn mixes to get it to work right with elevons.

With the new Vapor brick, a DX5e can do elevons. You can't do that with an AR6400.
Good point. I forgot that this is an old PZ brick and not a AR6400. With Dx7, I don't think much about using mixes.
MikeW9 is offline Find More Posts by MikeW9
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:49 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2007
358 Posts
Hi,

Here is my J-3 with AR6400L, my intention is to build with aileron but due to some wrong calculation the AUW is 43g and the angle attack was too high so at the end I have to remove the aileron servo and reduce the angle attack to 0. W/o aileron the AUW is 40g.

buratino is offline Find More Posts by buratino
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:44 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buratino View Post
Hi,

Here is my J-3 with AR6400L, my intention is to build with aileron but due to some wrong calculation the AUW is 43g and the angle attack was too high so at the end I have to remove the aileron servo and reduce the angle attack to 0. W/o aileron the AUW is 40g.

Man thats sweet!
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Oct 27, 2010, 04:50 PM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,100 Posts
Which kit is this J3?
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Old Oct 27, 2010, 06:46 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2007
358 Posts
I build it mostly from 3 view pic only, it can fly but quite difficult to control as the wing is too heavy (9g) and not enough motor down thrust. Version 2.0 is on the way, I just finished the new wing which is 2.5g lighter and added a bit more dihedral.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 07:34 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
Very impressive, buratino.

It's only a little bit heavier than my single cell brushless Falcon Stampe, which is made from 2mm depron and 41g AUW with a Hyperion 240mAh 25C cell (made with a Vapor brick, not an AR6400). I've learned that single cell brushless setups don't really give much advantage in power, unless they're drawing a lot of current, so there's no harm in keeping it brushed.

It's not all that much heavier than a 4-Site either, and those have more power than they'd need to fly scale.

Do you have somewhere to fly it indoors? It makes a huge difference.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Oct 27, 2010, 08:00 PM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,100 Posts
Nice skills buratino!
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Last edited by Brent Slensker; Oct 27, 2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 08:02 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2007
358 Posts
Hi Andy, you are right, with the current one I can flight with half throttle and it still wants to claim. But it stall very easily when turning and not able to self level due to lack of wing dihedral. I only fly it in the park near my house on calm day.
Thank you for your information on the single cell brushless as I was temped to try AP03 with 3A ESC on this plane, lucky the ESC is out of stock now at HK.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 08:13 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
buratino, Yes, definitely add some dihedral, whether or not you put the aileron servo back.

I've read that the AP03 is less powerful than the Su-26m / P-51 / 4-Site motors. The main advantage of single cell brushless is durability rather than power.

There are geared brushless motors that compete more favourably with the geared brushed motors, but they come with their own problems. The HobbyKing one has a very fragile shaft, apparently, and the latest one is difficult to mount (so I've read).

For direct drive, the AP05 seems to be the favourite one from HobbyKing, though it's heavier than an AP03.

I'm not sure which ESC you wanted but I found the TGY DP 3A 1s ESC starts better than the XP 3A ESC.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 08:23 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
I should have added; making it brushless would probably make it heavier. You can't get away with 110mAh 10C cells either. My Stampe's 41g AUW includes a 6g cell.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 08:45 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2007
358 Posts
Yes, Im more concerning about the AUW rather than durability of the motor as Im not a hardcore flier. Normally I flew each of my model only 10-20mins a week and after few weeks already wanted to take out the electronic for new project.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 08:55 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
Brushed definitely seems the best option for you then, buratino.

I'm sure you'd have no trouble replacing a motor if you needed to. I went brushless on the Stampe so I'd never have to, but the chances are a brushed motor would have lasted long enough. The plane had two mid air collisions on it's first day at an indoor fly-in (neither of them my fault) so who knows how long it will last.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:20 PM
Mack
Australia, VIC, Mentone
Joined Jun 2004
497 Posts
Nano Nutball (Kind-of)

I have been flying a smallish 18" Snowball ( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=930241 ) and thought that something similar on a much reduced scale would suit the AR6400 for our indoor venue. The outcome was a kind-of Nano or Pico Nutball ( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=nutball ) but one that is not perfectly circular. It is made largely from a single A4 sheet of 2mm Depron with a WS of about 11" and the OAW is 25 grams. A Hobby King one gram brushless Esc connects with their 2 gram motor. It has not yet been powered up as I want my electronics guru to check my wiring (I previously managed to fry a similar Esc). So far the model has only passed the GOB test (glide onto bed) but I have hopes.
Peter Mack is offline Find More Posts by Peter Mack
Old Oct 29, 2010, 02:07 PM
Burlington, NJ USA
Joined Apr 2001
426 Posts
How about a Guillows rubber stick model conversion? Cheap, easy, quick. Flys well. I'm still looking for some online plans for AR6400 planes- they gotta be out there somewhere.
bfaulguy is offline Find More Posts by bfaulguy