Micro short 360 indoor (1 min 26 sec)
turbinator is offline Find More Posts by turbinator
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2010, 06:12 AM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,768 Posts
i still don't understand how you do it! they fly so smooth and slow yet they look so scale!
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Sep 02, 2010, 07:05 AM
France
Joined Nov 2003
71 Posts
Thank you Bowerz.
I just increase the chord of 5mm and the stab of 20% compared to the scale model. But seeing the chord (52mm)I was a bit worry about the flight. In fact, with this weight (34g) there is no problem. It fly as well as an indoor trainer.

Outdoor video :
Micro short 360 (0 min 50 sec)
turbinator is offline Find More Posts by turbinator
Old Sep 02, 2010, 11:01 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,417 Posts
turbinator -

I can't tell you how many times I have watched and shared your Dash 8 videos... Amazing flying qualities and such light AUW with your CNC hotwire technique. I admire your building and flying talent to make these multi-engine models fly so scale like in the air and also ground handling. My congratulations on job done extremely well.
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Sep 02, 2010, 11:18 AM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
very pretty plane turbinator(like always) but I am still wondering how a plane with so little wing area can fly...but again it's your plane and you are the pilot so "anything" is possible
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002
Old Sep 06, 2010, 12:30 AM
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joined May 2005
631 Posts
Just did an Ember aileron mod using an AR6400 and 2 UM servos...

Link to Tread
hauntfreaks is offline Find More Posts by hauntfreaks
Old Sep 06, 2010, 01:35 AM
Joined Aug 2008
567 Posts
Speaking of ember 2 I thought I would try and make a plane for a club at my school. I put some dihedral in it, but I really have no idea how it affects the flight. What does a flat wing do that is different than a dihedral one? I only have cellfoam 88, but I am looking around for depron. Some pics are below. Also, when I fly, the wings bend up a little. Should I attach cf from the fuse to the wing in order to eliminate it? Will this make it fly better? Thanks.
helidude22 is offline Find More Posts by helidude22
Old Sep 06, 2010, 01:52 AM
Joined Sep 2009
3,768 Posts
The dihedral healps keep the roll level so therefor is more stable and easy to learn to fly on.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 02:03 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2008
425 Posts
(Please correct me if im wrong!)
Dihedral is generally used for models of RET Rudder- Elevator-Throttle. The dihedral aids in making the plane bank slightly during the turn and actually helps to bring the plane back to center after the turn. Aircraft with ailerons (ARET) overcome this for the most part. High wing aileron trainers usually have the best of both worlds to give all the help possible for the beginner.
Flat wings are for more aerobatic aircraft as the wing fallows the path it is commanded too, more easily allowing inverted flight, ect.
Im not sure how the amount of dihedral is determined (for me its trial and error) but I hope this helps. Good looking plane btw
cabman1969 is offline Find More Posts by cabman1969
Old Sep 06, 2010, 02:14 AM
Post Digger
San Diego, CA
Joined Oct 2005
461 Posts
and yes, flexing is bad. Stiffen it with some thin CF rod to hold the wing in place.
Baratacus is offline Find More Posts by Baratacus
Old Sep 06, 2010, 09:02 AM
Joined Sep 2009
3,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabman1969 View Post
(Please correct me if im wrong!)
Dihedral is generally used for models of RET Rudder- Elevator-Throttle. The dihedral aids in making the plane bank slightly during the turn and actually helps to bring the plane back to center after the turn. Aircraft with ailerons (ARET) overcome this for the most part. High wing aileron trainers usually have the best of both worlds to give all the help possible for the beginner.
Flat wings are for more aerobatic aircraft as the wing fallows the path it is commanded too, more easily allowing inverted flight, ect.
Im not sure how the amount of dihedral is determined (for me its trial and error) but I hope this helps. Good looking plane btw
Completely correct, i just couldn't be bothered to type all of that
Old Sep 06, 2010, 11:43 AM
Joined Aug 2008
567 Posts
Thanks for the help. I will go add some cf to see if that helps with the flexing. I'll try to get a video up too.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 03:49 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Everyone here is correct. Dihedral does help stability for the aircraft. Dihedral also works with the rudder to cause the turning and correction after the turn. Still related to adding that stability.

10 degrees of dihedral perfect for top wing rudder/elevator planes. More and the turns enter and exit quite choppy. Less it take longer for the turn to start and stop when giving control input.

Dihedral not needed on ailerons, if you are a good pilot. Dihedral helps tame an aileron wing too, only you need way less, say 1-3 degrees on a top wing. Too much dihedral on an aileron wing and you have to use rudder and aileron at the same time to make the plane turn correctly.

Carbon fiber spars, or struts would help. Even some thin strips of fiber reinforced strapping tape, or packing tape applied right helps.

Cell Foam 88 is very similar to depron, just slightly less ridgid. However foam sheet has a grain, in other words it will flex less in one direction than the other, so make sure the stiff side is going across the span direction. If you massage an undercamber airfoil shape into your foam sheet, it will also feel at least twice as strong/stiff when done!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Sep 06, 2010, 06:26 PM
Joined Aug 2008
567 Posts
So I finally got a video. Hope you like it
Micro Scrember (0 min 55 sec)
Old Sep 06, 2010, 06:28 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005