HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:15 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,502 Posts
Hehe! 70g of static thrust on a 40g plane, at full throttle it could only just creep forwards in the wind. Perhaps it wasnt the best day for flying lol. I went out with the intention to destroy it so I could use the running gear in my P-38, but it was so crazy on high rates that I want to fly it a few more times.

I got about 8mins of flight footage, but the majority of it was too blurry to post

I fixed it with tooth picks and shes ready for another flight, when the wind dies down a bit in Berlin though. I actually want to see how it flies and not be constantly fighting the winds.

@GHCrash, that is one beautiful plane, I love twins, I cant wait for a flight report.
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:48 PM
RC Connectors dot com
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jan 2008
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
has anyone found a good small 3 pin plug and socket for small brushless to esc connections?
Why not the one HH uses on their micro brushless 2S planes? (Beast, Beast 3D, Sbach 342, etc)
glenn2626 is online now Find More Posts by glenn2626
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by glenn2626; Mar 04, 2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:56 PM
RC Connectors dot com
Joined Jan 2008
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghcrash View Post
OK, you guys inspired me to post.

Here is one of my latest projects. It is a twin designed to use the motors and 6400 receiver out of a Parkzone’s UM Mosquito. Its scratch built all the way, design to a flight ready plane. Twenty inch wing span and 59 grams flying weight, a half ounce lighter than the Mosquito. I used 3 millimeter Depron for the wing, 2mm Depron for the rest. I even did a “military” version where I used the props from the Parkzone UM Spitfire Mk IX and gave it a camo paint job top and bottom.
George! Good to see you here. So when will that little Draco kit be ready for purchase? I bought a used Mossie brick so I'm ready.

Glenn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Xtreme Video TX cable
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:32 AM
GH crash - I practice a lot
Joined Oct 2011
86 Posts
Draco - Flight report and kit

ValiantGLX ask about a flight report on the twin Draco. I should have mentioned that the plane has numerous flights on it. (And with my piloting skills, more than one crash.) It can be flown in a small basketball court gym. It will fly slower than the UM Mosquito but a single basketball court doesn't allow much room for anything but race track and loops. The plane is more fun in a larger area or outdoors (light winds). Control response is excellent and even though it has a single surface airfoil, inverted flight is no problem for a good pilot. It flies more like a fullsize plane than a 3D one. All and all I think that it flies better than the UM Mosquito. Better control response due to bigger control surfaces, slows down more but maybe not quite as fast.

Glenn asked about when a kit was going to be ready. How he got the idea that the plane was going to be kitted, I don’t know. Anyway, BSD Micro RC now has the Draco kit for sale, $32. Please email me (the email address is in the build instruction) if you buy the kit and I will let you in on some building secrets.
ghcrash is offline Find More Posts by ghcrash
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:26 PM
RC Connectors dot com
Joined Jan 2008
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghcrash View Post
Glenn asked about when a kit was going to be ready. How he got the idea that the plane was going to be kitted, I don’t know. Anyway, BSD Micro RC now has the Draco kit for sale, $32. Please email me (the email address is in the build instruction) if you buy the kit and I will let you in on some building secrets.
Same way I knew the name of the plane, you bought parts from me while you were doing your prototypes, and sent pix, and I new I had to have one. Good to see that Bob has them ready to go on his site now.

Glenn
RC-Connectors.com (this might be the key bit of info I left out)

PS - for the rest of you that have a Mossie or interested in George's Draco kit, this battery adapter lets you use two of your standard 1S gum-stick lipos instead of buying those huge 250mAh ones Eflite made just for the Mossie.

http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...roducts_id=270
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Xtreme Video TX cable
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:47 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,502 Posts
It was a warm sunny day with little to no wind, so I took my mustang out for another flight. This finally gave me a chance to see how it feels in the air, and....... it was ST; The adverse yaw was terrible, instead of banking and yanking it would do a knife edge loop, yep it was that bad So I did what any sane person would do and flew it into the ground (quite literally), and more than once to boot. I have now striped the electronics off it and scraped the foam. Here is a short video of the highlights of her last flight.

Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:55 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,944 Posts
Wild roll rate! Faster than my drill bits! How the heck do you control it so well when not doing the "whirling dervish"?
Nice knife edge too...
dbacon is offline Find More Posts by dbacon
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:21 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacon View Post
Wild roll rate! Faster than my drill bits! How the heck do you control it so well when not doing the "whirling dervish"?
Nice knife edge too...
Micro movements and cat like reflexes The knife edge wasnt planned, thats what happened when trying to bank and yank without coordinating in any rudder

It flew horribly all in all, with my P-38 Im going to have to ditch the Y harness and setup dual ailerons with differential.

Aren't you going to ask how I got the AS3X to turn off/on at the flick of a switch with the spitfire brick?
Last edited by valiantGLX; Mar 06, 2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:05 AM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,944 Posts
Yes I was wondering about the stabilization seems to go on and off, but I didn't think there was any way to turn it off. You must have created a way...
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:12 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,502 Posts
Quote:
Yes I was wondering about the stabilization seems to go on and off, but I didn't think there was any way to turn it off. You must have created a way...
An RC groups user, KALMON (and Co), have created some aftermarket software for programing AS3X bricks He has posted the software for free HERE.

Im not sure if you are aware or not but the original software is limited to RX orientation and predefined model configurations such as; Beast 3D, Carbon Cub, Sbach, GeeBee, warbirds etc.

However with the aftermarket software you can fine tune the AS3X on a strength scale of 1 to 10 and set the stick priority, plus switch off the AS3X on the Gear ch (this is optional if you want it to remain always on, or use the gear ch for something else). Also like the original software you can also set the RX orientation, and reverse the AS3X movement on all 3 channels.

With the aftermarket software you can also view and edit the predefined model configurations.

An interesting note is that the CC, Beast 3D and GeeBee all use identical AS3X settings, which are all maxed out with the exception of the ailerons which are 0.1 point weaker than the rudder and elevator (AILE 0.9 / RUDD 1.0 / ELEV 1.0)
Last edited by valiantGLX; Mar 06, 2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:51 AM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,160 Posts
Interesting stuff.
Please post a link to the thread you found this information.
So if I read this right, the AS3X brick that is installed vertically from say a P40 can't be just moved to another plane and layer flat? And the brick from the GeeBee is no good for a regular airframe without reprogramming?

My LHS says "nuts" to both those caveats. ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
An RC groups user, KALMON (and Co), have created some aftermarket software for programing AS3X bricks He has posted the software for free HERE.

Im not sure if you are aware or not but the original software is limited to RX orientation and predefined model configurations such as; Beast 3D, Carbon Cub, Sbach, GeeBee, warbirds etc.

However with the aftermarket software you can fine tune the AS3X on a strength scale of 1 to 10 and set the stick priority, plus switch off the AS3X on the Gear ch (this is optional if you want it to remain always on, or use the gear ch for something else). Also like the original software you can also set the RX orientation, and reverse the AS3X movement on all 3 channels.

With the aftermarket software you can also view and edit the predefined model configurations.

An interesting note is that the CC, Beast 3D and GeeBee all use identical AS3X settings, which are all maxed out with the exception of the ailerons which are 0.1 point weaker than the rudder and elevator (AILE 0.9 / RUDD 1.0 / ELEV 1.0)
BlazingStar is online now Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:10 AM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,944 Posts
valiantGLX,

That is really interesting. I have a Beast with AS3X, and I have read that each model is "fine-tuned", but I didn't think I would ever be able to change that. It is reasonable that you cannot change orientation of the board, just like any gyro, but it is now possible with new programming, I will go jump on that link, thanks much

-Dave
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:14 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingStar View Post
Interesting stuff.
Please post a link to the thread you found this information.
So if I read this right, the AS3X brick that is installed vertically from say a P40 can't be just moved to another plane and layer flat? And the brick from the GeeBee is no good for a regular airframe without reprogramming?

My LHS says "nuts" to both those caveats. ???
I think you may have miss read it or I didnt explain it well enough.

Any AS3X brick that is compatible with the optional programming card, can be mounted horizontally or vertically, backwards or forwards.

*But you need the programming card to set it up, or it will only work how it was mounted in the plane that it was originally from (horizontally or vertically, backwards or forwards)*

With the original horizon hobby software you could only choose predefined model configurations (for UMs and UMXs), so you couldnt fine tune the AS3X settings or stick priority, or switch switch off the AS3X, but the new aftermarket programming software allows all of the before mentioned plus more.

Kalmon posted the link (for the software) for me in the Carbon Cub thread about 10 or 15 pages back. All of the other info is my first hand experience.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:25 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,502 Posts
Quote:
valiantGLX,

That is really interesting. I have a Beast with AS3X, and I have read that each model is "fine-tuned", but I didn't think I would ever be able to change that. It is reasonable that you cannot change orientation of the board, just like any gyro, but it is now possible with new programming, I will go jump on that link, thanks much

-Dave
Even with the old software you could set the orientation: Backwards/Forwards or Horizontal/Vertical.

How do I know? because I did it with my 3D Profile P-51. It wasnt until my last flight that I used the new (aftermarket) software to program it.

What does the new software do that the old software doesnt? The new software will allow you to fine tune AS3X settings, edit existing model configurations (from HH), create/save/share your own custom model configs, set the stick priority, and switch off the AS3X with the gear ch (optional). It also does everything that the old software did too.

EDIT: This pic may help

Quote:
valiantGLX,

That is really interesting. I have a Beast with AS3X, and I have read that each model is "fine-tuned", but I didn't think I would ever be able to change that.
There is nothing fine tuned about Horizon Hobby ultra micros, they're all hastily slapped together. Individual planes are certainly not fine tuned in regards to the AS3X settings.

They (AS3X settings) do change though from model to model, for example the mig has the softest settings while the ASK 21 has the strongest settings, warbirds share the same settings, and the CC, GB, and Beast 3D share the same settings (which are very similar to the ASK 21)
Last edited by valiantGLX; Mar 06, 2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:41 AM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,944 Posts
valiantGLX,

Thanks, I found you need a $10 USB adapter for the AS3X board, seems to be available from a number of sources, Spektrum, Horizon Hobby, A Main Hobbies, many others. I will check at my LHS, Larry's Performance RC, as his prices are usually better than mail order, and he is proud of it!

Do you know if it works on my new mQX quad?