to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:06 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watts cooking View Post
I know I'm new the conversation but with the board facing this direction the control rods will have to drag over the servo gears causing the binding of the servo. I know because I ran into the the same problem when turning a guillows javelin rubberband plane into rc. I don't know if you have seen this issue causing a problem or your design allows for the clearance. Hope it helps and good luck on the build its looking good.
Thanks for your concern I counter sunk the brick so the control rods come out on an angle to meet the control horns narrowly avoiding the servo spurs

This is my first attempt dabbling with a scratch built/designed profile plane, if it turns out crap so be it, I can rebuild the thing easy enough.

But I have faith in the design and electronics layout, only time will tell if my faith was rightly placed

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, while Im waiting on some parts to arrive, namely BL goodies, I am just about to put another one of my designs into production

The P-38 lightening has been one of my favorite aircraft of all time (followed closely by the ME-262, then the P-51 D) so I knocked up this design last night using MS Paint again (that programs seriously underrated)

Like the Mustang I used actual schematics to get the out lines so its very true to scale despite being a profile design.

The only exception is that I made the vertical stabiliser a bit taller, and the tail booms a bit wider for added strength. Oh! and also the motor/tail booms on the schematics were slightly toed-out (when looking at them from above), so I straightened them out.

...And of course the control surfaces are larger than scale, but not as extreme as my Mustang

Electronics:
UM mosquito brick motors and props
3x 1.7g servos
260mah lipo
navigation lights

Controls:
Dual rudders
Ailerons
Elevator
Throttle
...And a uni-flap

Wingspan:
520mm

Length:
Haven't measured it yet

Weight:
Fully equipped I'm hoping for around 60g (15g lighter than the Mosquito)

Airfoil:
KFm2

PDF's and build thread coming soon
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:20 AM
No place like cloud base......
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Instead of MS paint, try Paint.NET. http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

For me, having alpha, different layers, and a magic wand key helps alot

SB
SuperBarlow is online now Find More Posts by SuperBarlow
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:21 AM
No place like cloud base......
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Also, I have a book of 3 views of airplanes, and I think that the P-38 is in there. I could post a scan of the page?
SuperBarlow is online now Find More Posts by SuperBarlow
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:04 AM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
664 Posts
valiant, most computers have paint program. Can you give a class on how to make a drawing like the p-38 in paint. One that Us non computer operators can understand?

JCS
miatamama is offline Find More Posts by miatamama
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:09 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,916 Posts
Love the P-38 I've done a few Micro P-38's including a micro profile one it flys great using 2 PZ P-51

motors/gear.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...il+p+38&page=3

I've since made a clear canopy and scale spinners (act Speedy01 made the scale spinners for me) for the Profile P-38, I think it helps it look better.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:14 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,633 Posts
Very cool!
BryanEW710 is online now Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:49 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBarlow View Post
Instead of MS paint, try Paint.NET. http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

For me, having alpha, different layers, and a magic wand key helps alot

SB
I actually have that program, but I found it tricky to use, especially selecting colors. I'll have to put more time into it though, I see there's measurement tools, which will prove very handy indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBarlow View Post
Also, I have a book of 3 views of airplanes, and I think that the P-38 is in there. I could post a scan of the page?
Thanks for the offer, but Google seems to be working out well for schematics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatamama View Post
valiant, most computers have paint program. Can you give a class on how to make a drawing like the p-38 in paint. One that Us non computer operators can understand?

JCS
Its seriously dead simple, it just takes patience and a steady hand.

First I find schematics in google then paste them into paint.

Then I lassoo everything I can, and clean up the rest with the eraser.

Nows the fun part, line out where you want the control surfaces, airfoil, etc.

Finally cut up the image and paste the sections into MS publisher, fit the sections on an A4 page, save as a PDF and you're done

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
Love the P-38 I've done a few Micro P-38's including a micro profile one it flys great using 2 PZ P-51

I've since made a clear canopy and scale spinners (act Speedy01 made the scale spinners for me) for the Profile P-38, I think it helps it look better.

Pete
AWESOME!!!

I want to offset the brick to one side and run the rudder control linkage down one side to the vert. stab. Then connect both vert. stabs. together. Putting the battery on the other side should even out the weight.
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:17 AM
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2011
4,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post

Pete

Seriously though, how much
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:42 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,916 Posts
Hey Valiant,

I've also made a full fuselage Micro P-38 for my friend Speedy01. It has ailerons, rudders, and elevator. I used the PZ Mossy e-gear. I did put the brick in one boom and the battery in the other. It works fine.

Pete
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:19 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d astronaut View Post

Seriously though, how much
I'm wondering the same thing. A micro P-38 would be kinda neat to have.
BryanEW710 is online now Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:00 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,916 Posts
You can see the builds here in this Micro Indoor Forum. It is one of the harder Micro paper to Depron build esp because of the twin rudders but it can be done and it's a nice flyer. My last full bodied one White 33 came in at 1.9 oz. again it uses the Mossy e-gear and props. Here's some pic's of it next to others I've done one BL with folding props way too fast for me it can eat up a field pretty quick.

I do really like the profile and the Mossy e-geared P-38.

Pete
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:13 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
Here's one in the works .. Pres Bruning SBC-4 Hell Diver free flight.. 18 inch wingspan .. rudder elevator .. i am still trying to decide on tissue covering or solarfilm..
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:23 PM
sambino
Waterloo Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2010
9 Posts
Micro Aeronca C3

Here's one I posted recently on another thread but there's more traffic here so it's the place to be. Obviously an Aeronca C-3 based on the old Tern Aero kit but I enlarged it by 150%. The gear is all Hobbyzone Champ and the performance is surprisingly lively for a 27" 42 gram model. Covering is Esaki tissue with two coats of 75/25 nitrate dope. The color change between the two shots is just from different lighting. The second shot one is closer to the actual colour.
Sam
yosemitealoha is offline Find More Posts by yosemitealoha
Last edited by yosemitealoha; Jan 30, 2013 at 08:40 AM. Reason: added pics
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:36 PM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,097 Posts
yosemitealoha Great Aeronca C-3 build ! More pics!
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker