SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:57 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,551 Posts
Prototype

My plans wen together surprisingly well, it ended up being 10g with hinges. Instead of using 2mm depron I went with a combination of 3 and 6mm, the theory behind it is I dont need carbon fiber supports (saves a bit of cash, makes the build easier and creates a good step for the KFm2).

Glide tests without electronics went really well too. Cg sits about 40% of the chord.

Here's some more pics:

Mock up with the spitfire prop and spinner

Compared to the UM mustang

Tail hinges, the bottom one helps to brace the gap for the horizontal stab to slide in. Also the tail is the only part that doesnt follow the scale lines ( I used P51 D schematics to get the lines), I extended it by about 6mm to help with knife edges

Unglued, but hinged weight. I still need to round the edges so that will shave a bit of weight off too.
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Last edited by valiantGLX; Jan 26, 2013 at 03:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:58 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpjohn View Post
Under what catagory did you find the servo adapters on HK ? I am not having any luck.

Dr John
Wires and Plugs
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:01 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,551 Posts
^ Yep that one :P You guys better leave me some though
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:42 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpjohn View Post
Under what catagory did you find the servo adapters on HK ?
I'll trade you this link at HK for your link at sparkfun!

The 1.7g servo connector is 1.25mm spacing Molex while Spektrum is 1.0mm JST-SH.

Pay attention to the plug polarity - servo is YRB, while Spektrum is BRY.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:21 PM
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Sep 2010
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
I'll trade you this link at HK for your link at sparkfun!

The 1.7g servo connector is 1.25mm spacing Molex while Spektrum is 1.0mm JST-SH.

Pay attention to the plug polarity - servo is YRB, while Spektrum is BRY.

Gene K
It was this: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11034 but it says retired now.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10358 This one is not as cheap, but is still available.
numanair is offline Find More Posts by numanair
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:33 PM
RC Connectors dot com
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jan 2008
1,175 Posts
I've got all four major servo types including adapters from anything to anything at RC-Connectors.com

Glenn
RC-Connectors.com
glenn2626 is offline Find More Posts by glenn2626
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Xtreme Video TX cable
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:29 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn2626 View Post
I've got all four major servo types including adapters from anything to anything at RC-Connectors.com

Glenn
RC-Connectors.com
Certainly a one stop shop in regards to rc connectors, but a bit on the pricy side. I can see the appeal though, great for people that dont want to get their hands dirty soldering
Last edited by valiantGLX; Jan 27, 2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:56 PM
Wingnutz
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined May 2009
271 Posts
AR6400 deploys one aileron

Been a while since I've posted here but once again, I need some help.
Dug out my scratch built Sparrowhawk, plugged in the battery and the left aileron immediately went to full down. Eliminated the servo and the extension as culprits, so I'm back to the AR6400. Is there any troubleshooting sequence to follow or is it best to simply replace the AR6400?
Bill Quantock is offline Find More Posts by Bill Quantock
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:02 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Quantock View Post
Been a while since I've posted here but once again, I need some help.
Dug out my scratch built Sparrowhawk, plugged in the battery and the left aileron immediately went to full down. Eliminated the servo and the extension as culprits, so I'm back to the AR6400. Is there any troubleshooting sequence to follow or is it best to simply replace the AR6400?
Sounds like you are using 2 aileron servos? Maybe you need to reprogram the brick (see user guide), or setup dual ailerons on you transmitter, because the aileron in question may be currently acting as a flap.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:14 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,551 Posts
Progress

Here's a quick update:

Coming together nicely. GOT THROW? I have the AS3X programming card on it way so I can dial it back a bit so it works properly with the huge control surfaces

Window and faux CF

Motor mount loose test fit.

Offset prop

Servo holes cut out of the KFm2, also top mounted them so they dont get damaged belly landing.

Braced elevator with a skinny piece of piano wire.
Last edited by valiantGLX; Jan 27, 2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:24 PM
Wingnutz
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined May 2009
271 Posts
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
Sounds like you are using 2 aileron servos? Maybe you need to reprogram the brick (see user guide), or setup dual ailerons on you transmitter, because the aileron in question may be currently acting as a flap.
Valiant,
Good call! I haven't used the model for nearly a year and since then, someone stole the tx that had my Sparrowhawk settings. I forgot I'd programmed the 6400 for dual ailerons. Five minutes with the model and the tx and everything's working fine!
Thanks! BTW, there's a video of the model you saved back on p 139, post 2071 of this thread.
Your Mustang looks so good I may try a profile!
Bill Quantock is offline Find More Posts by Bill Quantock
Last edited by Bill Quantock; Jan 27, 2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:01 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,960 Posts
I am sorry for your loss, I hope everybody is looking for it. Keep your Rx on, it may start receiving it some day!
dbacon is offline Find More Posts by dbacon
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:31 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,551 Posts
Quote:
Valiant,
Good call! I haven't used the model for nearly a year and since then, someone stole the tx that had my Sparrowhawk settings. I forgot I'd programmed the 6400 for dual ailerons. Five minutes with the model and the tx and everything's working fine!
Thanks! BTW, there's a video of the model you saved back on p 139, post 2071 of this thread.
Quote:
Im glad I could help Your Sparrowhawk is such a beautiful flyer too, shame on you for not flying the poor girl in over a year

Quote:
Thanks I have never been a fan of profile planes, and I thought that people who built them were just too lazy to design full fuse planes, but I am begging to see the benefits of the profile design:
  • Quick and simple to design, build and repair.
  • Ultra light weight.
  • Fuse works as a massive side force generator, good for knife edges.
  • KFm2 without dihedral creates adequate lift + stability at speed and is great for flying inverted.

My mustang will be my entry into the world of 3D flying, that is if my 1s BL + gearbox combo works well.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:35 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,551 Posts
Mounting the brick

Where do you guys think I should mount the brick. Note that I have a programming card so it doesnt matter whether I mount it horizontally or vertically.

If I mount it here the weight will be more evenly distributed, and I can mount the battery on the rear half of the fuse to get a good CG. However control linkages will be longer meaning more weight.

If I mount it here I'd need to have both control horns on the same side, which may disturb the balancing, but I guess I could counter it with the battery on the other side. For a pro linkages will be shorter, but a con is thats where I wanted to put my Spektrum sticker.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:19 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,966 Posts
valiant,

Those great little servos now come in white!!

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01