Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:13 PM
No place like cloud base......
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012
445 Posts
Guess what?
My review got the magic ****
GRRRR!

Oh well; they won't get my patronization again.
SuperBarlow is offline Find More Posts by SuperBarlow
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:18 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,780 Posts
Guys it comes with a back lit screen though

Personally I'll stick with my spektrum gear too, although I have never had an issue with my 6ch orangerx. And, its easy enough to put a back lit screen in a DX6i.

However I am very interested to hear some user feedback about the orange TX, hopefully they clone the DX18, and sell it for $150 soon, that I would buy despite the risks.

Also it isnt DSMX compatible

EDIT:

Apparantly the manual says it is DSMX compatible, who knows whether it really is or not though.
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Last edited by valiantGLX; Dec 06, 2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:29 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
has anyone thought of the fact that they will be running around with a non FCC tranmitter in a bright orange case.... i wonder how many clubs will start outlawing these as "cheap and dangerous chinese knockoff"...
At risk of sounding like a total Dkhead, what does FCC mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBarlow View Post
Guess what?
GRRRR!

You still got 5 points for it though, lol
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:35 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,788 Posts
Fedral Communications Comission. its a USA thing, regulates any thing that uses radio frequency in the USA. anything not certifiyed by it is not legal for use in the USA.

but as for the chinese getting FCC aproval, only 3 out of every 70 people are subject to it, im not sure if they are going to even bother with it, as plenty of americans buy their non FCC recievers all the time.

edit: i have a first run orange TX, it says 14 channels, but i got it working at 8 and did not mess with it. range for micros seem to not be a problem. ch 2 is not usable, but i remapped it to gear. i loose bind on the tx every once in a while, and have to use a 'change id' button. my module was four modes, dsm2, dsm2 surface and dsmx, and dsmx surface. can test the others, but i use dsm2 air all the time.
i did recieve a full refund from HK for my glitchy ch2, and i might be getting a replacement module as well.
at any rate, i will be buying more, as its nice to have a dsm2 module with simple ppm input.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Last edited by nemoskull; Dec 06, 2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:38 PM
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012
445 Posts
SoKay-
FCC is the Federal Communications Commission- they regulate everything that has to do with radio control. Even if you go buy a $10 RC toy, it will have a FCC approved sticker. It is a fatal flaw to not be approved.

If you don't know Google it
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:39 PM
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012
445 Posts
DX18- I'd buy too!
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:44 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,788 Posts
SB: it should be a fatal flaw in the US, but its not. there is little enforcement of FCC laws, and as long as people can still buy cheaper products, they will.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:50 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,780 Posts
On an unrelated note, I crashed my Carbon Cub Panorama beyond repair today, see the footage (I do drop the F-bomb once though, you've been warned):

Carbon Cub Panorama V1 2nd flight (4 min 30 sec)

I think the cold weather warped my main wing a bit, well actually a lot. It used to have the slightest bit of dihedral, after the first circuit in the cold the wing seemed to warp down for a considerable amount on negative dihedral (Im not sure if that is an aviation term, but I think you guys should know what I mean).

The negative dihedral and the strong gusts of wind lead to my CCP V1's demise.

Also I should note that I didnt really have any elevator authority I had to use my elevator/flap mixing to get enough response to slightly pull up. Do you think it is because the tail is so long (I would have thought a long tail would give me more elevator authority though), or maybe it could have been something to do with the cut out sections on the tail, or maybe my plane was too large for the little linear servo to make enough difference. When I was flying my CG was around 40% of the chord, so in theory it should have been tail heavy with heaps of up elevator authority

On the FCC: thanks for answering guys, it must be an american thing only, I never heard of it in Australia or europe
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:08 PM
United States, IN, Elberfeld
Joined Feb 2011
120 Posts
I've posted this b4 somewhere

But hey it fits, here is one of my ar6400 home builds. Believe it or not, an owl caught it in flight and the final pic was the result. It flew good, but the blue foam dosn't handle foam safe CA. It plasticizes or something.
kzart is offline Find More Posts by kzart
Last edited by kzart; Dec 07, 2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:02 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,018 Posts
back a long ways was this link http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1466 ..please look at the pictures.. there is an SU27 full size and the SU37 model..
the plans for a bigger version that got scaled down are here.. http://rc.tomhe.net/su-37
and video..
VID00042.MP4 (0 min 17 sec)

The original SU 37 scaled down to a small prop slot so I have made a slight mod which takes the slot up big enough to take the 5inch props that are very often used..
At the same time I have done the same job with an SU27 model that I used to fly on an 8" prop..
The horizontal area of the SU37 version is exactly 144"sq
both models are at near 16.5" span..
The SU27 based on the Ikarus kit, uses linked ailerons/elevons, so you can do that, or, keep it simple and just use the elevons and possibly increase their area..you can also add a rudder setup like the 37 uses.. how you finalize it depends on what is your preference
This power setup should do for either... if their quoted specs are accurate.. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=10003
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Dec 08, 2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:20 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,824 Posts
Quote:
Guess what?
GRRRR!

I've had that happen. It's really annoying, isn't it? In my case, I think it was because I said "rcgroups" in the review - not even giving a link. Considering how much money HK must spend advertising on rcgroups, I can't see any logic in that. They want us to review stuff, but it's all on their terms. If reviews aren't unbiased, they're meaningless, so I don't bother reviewing anything any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
On an unrelated note, I crashed my Carbon Cub Panorama beyond repair today... the wing seemed to warp down for a considerable amount on negative dihedral (Im not sure if that is an aviation term, but I think you guys should know what I mean).I had to use my elevator/flap mixing to get enough response to slightly pull up. Do you think it is because the tail is so long
That's a shame. I hope you get it fixed. The correct term in anhedral, I think. It was clear what you meant though.

Long tailed planes seem to be a lot more stable in pitch than shorter ones. You'd think the extra leverage from the elevator being further from the CG would help with authority, but it doesn't seem to work that way. Maybe it's because the surface area of the longer tail has more effect than the smaller surface area of the elevator.

Your plane seemed to be flying nose heavy though - judging by the tendency to dive then pull back up. Being nose heavy reduces elevator authority quite a bit, and you tend to need more power and air speed to keep it flying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
The horizontal area of the SU37 version is exactly 144"sq
both models are at near 16.5" span..
Very nice. I wasn't expecting it to be able to fly that slowly.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:20 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,814 Posts
Quote:
Guess what?
GRRRR!

Yes same happened to me when I was critical , the review lasted all of 10 minutes. I reckon about half the stuff I have bought from HK has been unusable junk.

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:30 PM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
848 Posts
Is the majority of people here using an AR6400 with brushless motor/external esc?
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:08 PM
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012
445 Posts
Yeah, I agree Terry.

Now let's get back to AR6400 planes. If I or anyone else wants to complain about HK, you can do it in the Trader Talk (?) section.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:24 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjim11 View Post
Is the majority of people here using an AR6400 with brushless motor/external esc?
I can't speak for the majority. The only modified electronics I have used in any of my projects is changing servo connectors to be able to use conventional type ultra micro servos with the Spectrum board.

Dr John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn