Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:34 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
Neat!

I'd love to see a flying vid of one of these...a micro that can hover/harrier and flies well inverted would be a big plus for me
Bryan

Have you seen my Yak54 UMX ?
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:42 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpjohn View Post
Bryan

Have you seen my Yak54 UMX ?
Yep...I was eying it up as it looks like the better option. Just curious about the new plane, too. I still haven't taken possession of the Beast that will likely be the donor plane for either one, so I'm free to take my time
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:15 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
The Yak is an all out 3d monster while the Jumping Bean is more of a sport/pattern type flier.

Dr John
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1,629 Posts
Quote:
The Yak is an all out 3d monster while the Jumping Bean is more of a sport/pattern type flier.

Dr John
I figured as much just looking at still pictures of them
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:45 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Build thread started

I have just started a build thread for the MiG-29 UMX here....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post23449931

Thanks
Dr John
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:50 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,629 Posts
That's a nice looking plane!
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:54 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Thanks Bryan, now you need two MiG-15s and a Beast ;<)

Dr John
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Bryan, now you need two MiG-15s and a Beast ;<)

Dr John
Oh, I'm only a 3D guy. If it flies fast, it's not for me
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:01 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
Recently I am going down size for indoor flight, and I am in the process of working through this thread, finding all the useful info and lots of lovely models..
So far I haven't seen this link or info posted
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265873
This goes to the vintage and old timers thread, that consists of thousands of plans, of which there are many hundreds just just waiting for this micro conversion..plus many larger models.. and,
Even the larger models can be easily scaled down by the use of ScaleAndTile3 by bill segraves...just p.m. him for a copy of his scaling program..
info on printing these plans is here..and a post by bill which will make sending him a p.m that much easier
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1560478&page=3

including the lovey courtisan seen above...see the pdf
Its good to keep finding the tricks and techniques everyone uses..like the magnetic retainers for the wing and hatch as above..
I've been browsing the Outerzone for a while.

Steve built a very nice website that includes all the plans from the Vintage and Old-Timer plans thread. Its great because you can search, or browse by any number of categories.

Nearly all the plans are PDF and have been sized to their original format. For the Courtesan all I had to do was open it in Adobe Reader and change the tile scale from 100% to 50%.
Eclipse_7 is online now Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:41 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,803 Posts
another great resource..
I like the ScaleAndTile3 program as its so easy to get the model to whatever odd size you want..
I also use sketchup a lot.. tracing over plans, its easy to find wing areas , then adjust the scale till you've got a good area for the model you want
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:30 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
OrangeRX now finally has an orange TX. It looks to be a DX6I clone:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_Mode_2_.html

Have you been waiting for a fully programmable OrangeRx DSM2 transmitter? If so, your wish has been granted and at a price that's guaranteed to blow your socks off!!

The OrangeRx T-SIX is a brilliant, fully programmable 6 channel 2.4GHz DSM2 transmitter that is loaded with features. Covering just about everything for both fixed wing and helicopters, the T-SIX supports multiple wing types, multiple swashplate types, channel mixing, subtrim, exponential, dual rates, travel adjustment, servo monitor, graphic pitch/throttle curves, 10 model memory and so much more! This little gem even features an adjustable RF power output setting in the menu, allowing users to switch between US and EU power standards.

All of the programming functions are displayed on the large and easy to read backlit LCD display. You can easily navigate through the menus with the convenient scroll wheel, or by using the menu buttons. The menu system is very intuitive and easy to use, unlike some other transmitters on the market today that require studying of the manual to operate.

When it comes to powering your transmitter, the T-SIX has you covered for just about any battery type. It can operate on 4 x AA size Alkaline, NiMH or NiCD cells, but also features an in-built JST plug in the battery compartment allowing you to use a 2 cell LiFE or LiPO pack as well! The transmitter's low voltage battery alarm is adjustable via the menu to suit whichever battery chemistry you choose.

Because the T-SIX operates on DSM2, it is compatible with our full range of OrangeRx DSM2 receivers. We offer everything from 4CH micro to 9CH full-range receivers, all at a price that can't be beat! (see related items below for our list of compatible OrangeRx DSM2 receivers)

You simply will not find a better "value for the money" programmable DSM2 transmitter on the market today. OrangeRx T-SIX, available only at Hobbyking!

Features:
• Compatible with all DSM2 Receivers
• 6 Channel Operation
• Supports 3 Wing/Tail Mixes (Dual Aileron/Elevon/V-Tail)
• Supports 2 Swashplate Types (1 Servo 90/CCPM 120)
• 5 Point Graphic Pitch/Throttle Curves
• Adjustable Gyro Gain
• Dual Rates and Exponential
• Servo Reversing (all 6 channels)
• Channel Mixing
• Sub Trim and Travel Adjust
• Flaps and Differential
• Throttle Hold
• Large Backlit LCD Display
• 10 Model Memory
• Adjustable RF Power Output (US and EU Selectable via Menu)
• Integrated Timer
• Adjustable Stick Length
• Trainer Port
• Supports Alkaline, NiMH, NiCd, LiPo and LiFe batteries

Specs:
Frequency: 2.4GHz
Modulation: DSM2
No. of Channels: 6
Model Memory: 10
Stick Mode: Mode 2 (left stick throttle)
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:12 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,807 Posts
Orange Tx

Assuming there are no quality control issues, that is an impressive radio offer/option. I will have to investigate this since I have a collection of the orange Rx, but I do suspect some of them need repair or adjustment. Had them a long time, most of which were purchased off ebay when a bad lot was said to be offered.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:29 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,755 Posts
its a hundred shipped. and 6 channels. overall, id rather stick to the "14" channel , 8 channel module for 40 dollars.
id love to see a dex5e clone, but for 25 price tag.

has anyone thought of the fact that they will be running around with a non FCC tranmitter in a bright orange case.... i wonder how many clubs will start outlawing these as "cheap and dangerous chinese knockoff"...

still, love to see how these stack up, or what tx module they have.

edit: on a happeir note, the modules are back in stock, and they setup a page for a free replacement.
i get better customer service from halfway around the world than i do at sears... but that is a rant for another time. they said they will be manualy checking, but the website said they would ship it. dont really think they will, as i got a refund for mine already. we shall see.
nemoskull is online now Find More Posts by nemoskull
Last edited by nemoskull; Dec 06, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:04 PM
No place like cloud base......
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012
418 Posts
Ladies and gentlemen, please;
If you want the functionality of a DX6i, then get a DX6i! Despite a higher price, it is better quality, has better customer service, and is a more reliable radio for a new flier. If you really want a fancy radio that might have a few problems that end up with a plane in a couple pieces if they don't get fixed, wait and buy the new 9XR. I have had my fair share of problems with this type of product, and don't want others to go through the same frustration.

I posted this in the discussion section of the page, because I have had SOO many problems with my products from hobbyking, the 9X in particular. I now have a radio who's receiver is blown for no apparent reason, and a module with a different receiver that plain doesn't work!

I finally sucked up, and bought a DX6i. I love it, along with the vast selection of BNF planes that can be bought for it.

Sorry for my rant.
SB

Edit
And it's not FCC??!! Just proves my point.....
SuperBarlow is offline Find More Posts by SuperBarlow
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:08 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,755 Posts
yeah, i kinda agree with superbarlow, and i love the 9x and hobbyking.com

but they DO have problems with QC, and when you can get the real deal used for the same price, its not that atttractive.
nemoskull is online now Find More Posts by nemoskull