HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:46 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker24458 View Post
Maybe not the best place to ask but how do you make a hot wire cutter? Also is is dangerous? Thanks

-joker
John255's Super Simple Slicer

Billy Jim's super simple slicer thread
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:21 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,818 Posts
As a refinement on that, if you have an old brushed ESC, a watt meter, or just a multimeter that reads amps, and a servo tester (to control the ESC), you can control and monitor the current going through the wire. I did that mostly to make sure my batteries were okay, but it helps preserve the wire too, and takes some of the guesswork out of it.

The only part that's really worth paying for is the resistance wire or foam cutter wire from a model shop. It's not that expensive, as I recall.

As far as being dangerous, it's really no more dangerous than a soldering iron, though you might damage a battery if you use a small one. Chances are, the wire will burn through first.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:30 AM
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,235 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, really appreciate it......

-joker
joker24458 is online now Find More Posts by joker24458
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:55 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,783 Posts
joker, you could also use guitar wire, the thinest stuff you can find. stainless steel plain, a busted desktop computer will give you a power supply, but its got breakers on it, draw too much and it shuts down. ultra cheap, but for better results, the nichrome wire and brushed ESC would work better.
30A (in the air, less on the ground) BRUSHED ESC.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=6468

edit: anyone every build a biplane twins?
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:08 PM
No place like cloud base......
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012
444 Posts
I've got a better solution for you, joker- a dimmer switch and transformer!

Wire the AC to the dimmer switch, and then to the transformer, and finally to your cutting wire.

It's worked great for me, and I haven't had to go out and buy much.

Here's a link to a picture of the wiring that I found- http://www.instructables.com/image/FHRCCSW6SBEP27V9R0

Instead of the two yellow, use one yellow wire and one black wire.

Just make sure that you solder the wires together and use heat shrink tubing.
SuperBarlow is offline Find More Posts by SuperBarlow
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:44 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,818 Posts
Now that does sound a bit dangerous

US AC is a lot safer than ours though. I guess that means you're all a bit more casual with it, and probably get electrocuted more often than we do I've survived 240V AC a couple of times though, but I was younger then. I'm sure that helps. They've lowered it a few volts, more recently - it's only about twice what yours is now.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:23 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,748 Posts
Andy

Surprised to hear the nominal mains voltage has been lowered when did they do that ? any idea why ??

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:24 AM
No place like cloud base......
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012
444 Posts
Actually, If you're careful around it, you'll be perfectly fine. I wouldn't suggest it for those of you with 240V AC, though.
SuperBarlow is offline Find More Posts by SuperBarlow
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:11 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
Surprised to hear the nominal mains voltage has been lowered when did they do that ? any idea why ??

Terry
I don't know when it happened, but it was changed to 230V +/- some margin for error that allowed it to stay at 240V without breaking the rules, to be phased out as equipment was replaced, I guess. It's an EU thing, but the voltage in Europe is 220V (also within the official margin of error), so I don't know why they didn't just go for that. Maybe too many people would have demanded their 20V back. Maybe 220V just didn't quite seem dangerous enough

I agree, SB. Mains electricity is perfectly safe, so long as you don't come into close physical contact with it Ours is just a lot less safe, when you do.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:36 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
I was enlightened recently. In the United states I always used 115v as the measured standard, even though the always said 120v. then 240v usually measured 230v. But upon a recent instal someone told me that the new standard would measure almost spot on at 120v, 240v, etc. Tested it and sure enough.

New equipment? I don't know but I grew up and lived most of my life in another State, so could their standard have been different???

Either way I don't like plugging myself into 120v or 240v AC.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:20 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,823 Posts
Just using the dimmer would be indeed very dangerous, but having a transformer between it and the load remove the risk (as long as everything is well insulated in the primary circuit). Battery+brushed esc+servo driver work fine since we all have plenty of them at hand anyway! Thats what i use for foam cutting with a basic pwm control based on a NE555 driving a Mosfet.
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:13 PM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,235 Posts
Hmmm, interesting stuff guys.....so if I hooked it up to a 12v power supply, I will still need the ESC? and how do I control the ESC? Thanks

-joker
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:43 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,823 Posts
Either with an Rx and Tx, or with a servo driver like sold by HK and others. The 12V supply only provide the voltage and current(like a battery would do)but the current trough the wire still need to be controlled to have proper temperature. Too hot will burn the wire and produce a very wide cut,too cold will make for uneven cut (if hot enough to actually cut!). It is more important when trying to cut very thin sheets.
For the DIY type this esc driver is simple and work well:
http://www.sentex.ca/~mec1995/gadgets/servo4.htm
This circuit doesn't requires an esc at all, it is also simple and to drive a wire cutter you don't need D3 as it is a non inductive load:
http://www.sentex.ca/~mec1995/circ/pwm555.html
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Last edited by coriolan; Nov 26, 2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:22 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,704 Posts
Nothing to do with wire foam cutters

I have decided to build another Carbon Cub Panorama, a V2 if you like.

This time I am using only 3mm depron to hopefully half the weight of the original build. Also I have opted to use the the Micro Mosquito electrics again because I have read that by swapping out the motors for Bravo SX motors you get a 28% increase in static thrust. This should bring my total static thrust to 120g, and if all goes to plan my flying weight will be around 110g, it should be a very nice flyer

Also I am using a KFm3 airfoil to generate enormous amounts of lift (I hope). The wing dimensions are 700mm x 140mm which should give me a wing loading of 3.98 oz/sq.ft (12 g/sq.dm). As far as wing loading goes this will be in the glider category
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:35 PM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,235 Posts
Ok, ya, this hot wire cutter is a bit more complicated than I thought.....plus it would take up a model memory on my transmitter. Anyways, Im gonna save the links and probably/most likely build one when Im older......only 11 at the moment. No really not joking

-joker

Oh ya and BTW If any of you guys have Realflight, you might know me as "BOOM"