HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:48 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
A new Option for a Cheap TX is the Turnigy 9X with a DSM2/DSMX module.

You can now get a 9 Channel Computer TX for less than $100 Shipped ($50 for TX/$30 for Module)
Thanks I'll go and look that up

Another option is to wait for the FRsky transmitter and use that for my outdoor models and then put a DSMX compatible module in my Optic.

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:22 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,818 Posts
Terry,

I have an E-Flite LP5DSM I've never used. You're welcome to buy it for what I paid for it, plus the cost of posting it to you - 30 + postage method of your choice. You might find one cheaper on ebay though. That's where I got mine.

They're short range, but should be fine for indoor flying. I could try to take mine to an indoor session to check it out properly, if you like. The design is similar to a DX5e, so it should be easy enough to rewire, but the extra channel's on a knob, and there are DIP switches to choose some odd mixer modes. There are some threads about them.

I agree though, the Turnigy 9X is a much better option, if you can get hold of one - it has model memories, and you'd have a full range Tx.
Andy2No is online now Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:31 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,748 Posts
Andy

Thanks for the offer, I Think I'll go for the Turnigy or wait for the FRsky. Being mode 1 complicates things.

Regards

Terry
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:39 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,818 Posts
No problem, Terry. That's what I'd do too

I gave in and bought the DX6i shortly after getting the LP5DSM, so it got sidelined. Then I filled up the DX6i's model memories and bought a JR DSX11, reasoning that the SD card would give me unlimited memories.

As it turns out, the user interface to do that on the DSX11 / 11x is so crappy, it might as well not have SD card support. You can back up models, very painfully, one at a time, typing out the full name on the equivalent of a 1970s video game high score table, then wait indefinitely while it saves it. You can't just save over the last one you saved, in fact you can't even save the latest one with the same name, unless you delete the old one first.

On the whole, it wouldn't be much harder to just write down the model memory details on a bit of paper.
Andy2No is online now Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:02 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,748 Posts
Andy

Sorry your DSX11 interface is so poor. I just write my settings on the Optic down on paper takes but a few minutes on the pre prepared template they supply. I think the Optic is going to be a hard act to follow. The only limitation I've found with teh Optic is just 8 model memories. I've converted it to FRSky 2.4 Ghz , it would be neat if I could get a spektrum compatible module as well and switch between the two. Whilst I like Horizons small models being locked into spektrum gear puts me off more than a little.

Regards

Terry
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:59 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
Andy

Sorry your DSX11 interface is so poor. I just write my settings on the Optic down on paper takes but a few minutes on the pre prepared template they supply. I think the Optic is going to be a hard act to follow. The only limitation I've found with teh Optic is just 8 model memories. I've converted it to FRSky 2.4 Ghz , it would be neat if I could get a spektrum compatible module as well and switch between the two. Whilst I like Horizons small models being locked into spektrum gear puts me off more than a little.

Regards

Terry
I'd rather be locked into DSM2 than some off brand that no one clones. Spektrum has always made DSM2 module for high end Futaba's, JR's, etc.

Its the off on their own stuff, or the low end models that couldn't be easily converted to DSM2/DSMX to take advatage of $6 clone RX's and $20 AR6400's. That is about to change big time with HK clone modules.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:54 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,748 Posts
When I converted to 2.4 Ghz 3 years ago my choices were to buy a module for my Optic at 120 plus recievers at 40 each , buy a Dx6i for similar money and end up with a transmitter with considerably less functionality. Or buy a Frsky module and three receivers all for 80 , so thats what I did. Then I got tempted by the Vapor which is an excellent model and then by the Sukhoi which wasnt. So It's my own fault for getting into two different systems. 35Mhz had the advantage that you could mix transmitter and receiver brands i wish the same was true of 2.4 its only a marketing ploy.

Terry
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:06 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Here are a couple pics of my latest AR6400 plane. She uses two AR6410NBL rx and two UMX Mig15 28mm fans. One rx handles flight controls and one fan while the other rx runs the other fan. Wingspan is 18". All laser cut Depron with a bit of carbon fiber. Waiting for the wind to lay down a bit to maiden. If all goes well detail painting will start.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:28 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,654 Posts
Wow...that's very impressive!
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:28 AM
"Free" in Christ! #F3P
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
884 Posts
Oh my goodness! That is SOOOOO beautiful!

That's awesome,

Free
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:03 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Thanks Guys
I am hoping she doesn't turn into another hanger queen. I am a bit concerned with the AUW of 160gr. I used mostly 6mm Depron so I had room to sand in some shape. Should be about 160 watts per lb.

John
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:04 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Let the detailing begin. The wind was predicted to lay down yesterday afternoon so I was at the field waiting. It layed down to about 10mph and I said fly or die. My buddie Wahoo tossed her into the wind at full throttle and off she went. A few clicks of up trim and she was flying hands off. That is what AS3X is for right ? Actually in this case I guess it would be AS2X since the rudders are not active. I am using three HK ultra micro digital servos with the connectors changed to Spectrum style and so far they are working perfectly.

I was flying on two E Flight 2s 200mah batts one for each system. She is no speed demon flying a bit slower than the Mig-15 but looked and sounded very cool on low fly-bys. Better batts should pick up the performance a bit.

John
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:33 PM
Foamies for life! #f3p
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2011
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanew710 View Post
wow...that's very impressive!
+1...
Not Free is offline Find More Posts by Not Free
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:16 PM
"Watch out for...CRUNCH!!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Jul 2008
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpjohn View Post
Here are a couple pics of my latest AR6400 plane. She uses two AR6410NBL rx and two UMX Mig15 28mm fans. One rx handles flight controls and one fan while the other rx runs the other fan. Wingspan is 18". All laser cut Depron with a bit of carbon fiber. Waiting for the wind to lay down a bit to maiden. If all goes well detail painting will start.

John
Just curious, how are you managing to use two Ar6410NBL receivers in one plane? Can the x-port be use to tie them together or do you just have really good coordination with another pilot who is controlling the other receiver...?
Modarius is offline Find More Posts by Modarius
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:35 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,432 Posts
You just bind both receivers to the same model memory on the TX.
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss