HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:47 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
nemoskull's Avatar
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,781 Posts
ive been working on a three position switch. using a custom 0.8mm PCB and SMD parts. 100 mah on each channel. i will try to get a some video or pics up. ive been making lights, and want strobes, but with a little different firmware it work as a switch.
nemoskull is online now Find More Posts by nemoskull
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:18 AM
Master of Micro Modding
valiantGLX's Avatar
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,641 Posts
I have been looking into a picaxe system: http://www.picaxe.com/Hardware/PICAX...icrocontroller

My electronics knowledge is rather basic, but I reckon I could get the hang of this.

Do you guys think it could be programmed to be both a remote switch and a flasher/blinker?

What I really want to do is setup a tail light like in my mcx2 vid a few posts back with the other standard lights on a remote switch.
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:38 AM
Registered User
dbacon's Avatar
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,966 Posts
Glenn, that link in your post #3044 looks great. I really like the Pico switch as it can be set to do many things, and is super small.

Pete, make sure you look at Glenn's link -Dave
dbacon is offline Find More Posts by dbacon
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:54 AM
Master of Micro Modding
valiantGLX's Avatar
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,641 Posts
@ UNGN & dbacon: Heres the fruit of your advice, thanks again

Parkzone p 51 Mustang lights + more (2 min 18 sec)
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:49 AM
Registered User
dbacon's Avatar
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,966 Posts
That is sweeet! My favorite plane too...
dbacon is offline Find More Posts by dbacon
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:23 PM
Fly for God, not for the World
Not Free's Avatar
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2011
140 Posts
Thats Really nice,

I like the magnets!!


Not Free
Not Free is offline Find More Posts by Not Free
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:47 AM
Master of Micro Modding
valiantGLX's Avatar
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,641 Posts
Thanks guys

Anyways back to the CC Panorama. In the flying vid it turns out that it was closer to 150g than 130g in the air Im surprised it even took off

So I have put it on a radical diet and managed to get it back down to around 125 - 130g in the air



As well as the tail I also removed the cockpit, an Aussie dollar that I had upfront for balancing and a few unnecessary support beams

However Im considering going brushless for gobs of thrust. My questions are as follows.

Can I run 2 BL motors off 1 ESC?
Can I run 7.4v to the ESC, but 3.7v to the RX, with separate batteries?
Can I some how connect a BL ESC to this RX: http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...dID=SPMAR6410T
Would this ESC be suitable for 2 of these motors?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_2900kv.html

Or maybe I could use 2 of these ESC's twith these motors? It would be over kill but awesome
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_2100kv.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._BEC_BESC.html

The CC Panorama has plenty of room inside for a plethora of electronics and batteries!
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Last edited by valiantGLX; Oct 26, 2012 at 04:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:21 AM
Registered User
dbacon's Avatar
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,966 Posts
I think running two BL motors off one BL ESC is not something you can count on. I have read that some say you can, but when I tried it it didn't even come near working. It was like the ESC didn't know what to do. So success is very unpredictable.

Also it seems that the advantage of BL is very small in these micro applications, as the power increase is not worth the weight increase.

To run a higher voltage on the motor is usually done with an ESC with BEC, and if you were to use two, you must cut the + wire on one of them going back to the RX, so they don't both try to supply power to the Rx.

I see that your ESC handles 2 Amps each motor, that should be only about 125 grams of thrust (my w.a.g.) so I see why you want to increase it.

I have no knowledge of how to use a brushed output to drive a BL ESC, but a whole new Rx isn't much at HK. I have run these with no problem:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Receiver.html at 2 grams, it is not bad at all! It will run off of 3.6V to 9V, so no problem with BECs that put ot 5V. You could run two BL controllers from one channel by just paralleling the input side of the BL ESCs. If those ESCs have BEC, snip one + wire as I pointed out.

I think you could find lighter BL ESC though, you certainly don't need 12 A each! (my w.a.g. would put that at 680 grams of thrust!) I have run these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html

This one is only 6 grams, has BEC and is very inexpensive:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0_5A_UBEC.html but I haven't used one.
dbacon is offline Find More Posts by dbacon
Last edited by dbacon; Oct 26, 2012 at 05:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:20 AM
Master of Micro Modding
valiantGLX's Avatar
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacon View Post
I think running two BL motors off one BL ESC is not something you can count on. I have read that some say you can, but when I tried it it didn't even come near working. It was like the ESC didn't know what to do. So success is very unpredictable.

Also it seems that the advantage of BL is very small in these micro applications, as the power increase is not worth the weight increase.

To run a higher voltage on the motor is usually done with an ESC with BEC, and if you were to use two, you must cut the + wire on one of them going back to the RX, so they don't both try to supply power to the Rx.

I see that your ESC handles 2 Amps each motor, that should be only about 125 grams of thrust (my w.a.g.) so I see why you want to increase it.

I have no knowledge of how to use a brushed output to drive a BL ESC, but a whole new Rx isn't much at HK. I have run these with no problem:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Receiver.html at 2 grams, it is not bad at all! It will run off of 3.6V to 9V, so no problem with BECs that put ot 5V. You could run two BL controllers from one channel by just paralleling the input side of the BL ESCs. If those ESCs have BEC, snip one + wire as I pointed out.

I think you could find lighter BL ESC though, you certainly don't need 12 A each! (my w.a.g. would put that at 680 grams of thrust!) I have run these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html

This one is only 6 grams, has BEC and is very inexpensive:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0_5A_UBEC.html but I haven't used one.
Thanks for the great info again.

With the mustang it has 3-pins for the motor, but only 2 are used in the brushed application, however I think for brushless you only use the 1 spare plug out of the 3 to deliver the signal to the ESC, but I have no idea really. Now with the mosquito brick it has a dual brushed ESC that is soldered to where the 3-pin plug is on the mustang brick, so in theory I think I would just bypass the dual brushed ESC all together and solder the white wire from the brushless esc to the far left pin where the dual brushed ESC that is soldered.

But I might as well go all out with it then:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Sat_Port_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tabilizer.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_2100kv.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._BEC_BESC.html


"(my w.a.g. would put that at 680 grams of thrust!)" now thats what im talking about

The motors Performance Data:
Thrust: 330g
Prop: 9050
Max Current: 10.9A
Battery Type: 7.4v 2S

Id use 6030 GWS props though, so a total guesstimate would be around 500g of thrust, give or take, but again I have no idea

And a guesstimate on the total weight in the air would be around 220g. So it should take off like a rocket lol.

Ok, maybe it is too much I might need to re consider my ESC and motor choice

The only downside is I wont be able to show it off in this thread anymore The upside is endless vertical, light 3d capabilities, more rudder and elevator throw as I would need to use normal servos on them, and of course AS3X

Edit: This combo looks to be more like it:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Outrunner.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html

Now im looking at 200g in the air with 270g of thrust
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Last edited by valiantGLX; Oct 26, 2012 at 06:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:31 AM
NaN
Andy2No's Avatar
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
That receiver's a bit heavier than is needed, valiantGLX, and the weight of those normal sized plugs adds up too. I'd go with the one dbacon suggested (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Receiver.html) and stick with the smaller plugs.

Also, I wouldn't bother with the flight stabilizer in such a small plane. If you can set up mixes on your transmitter, you just need to mix rudder with throttle on two channels (one with the rudder input going the other way - one motor speeds up, one slows down) and trim the rudder to get it more or less straight at cruising speed, It'll never be quite right at any other speed, but that's just normal for a twin motor plane.

That's quite a lot of ESC too. The 3A ones seem more suitable, especially as you'll be using two of them. 12A total for a 100-150g plane isn't really needed, and it's just adding weight.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:55 AM
Master of Micro Modding
valiantGLX's Avatar
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
That receiver's a bit heavier than is needed, valiantGLX, and the weight of those normal sized plugs adds up too. I'd go with the one dbacon suggested (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Receiver.html) and stick with the smaller plugs.

Also, I wouldn't bother with the flight stabilizer in such a small plane. If you can set up mixes on your transmitter, you just need to mix rudder with throttle on two channels (one with the rudder input going the other way - one motor speeds up, one slows down) and trim the rudder to get it more or less straight at cruising speed, It'll never be quite right at any other speed, but that's just normal for a twin motor plane.

That's quite a lot of ESC too. The 3A ones seem more suitable, especially as you'll be using two of them. 12A total for a 100-150g plane isn't really needed, and it's just adding weight.
Thanks for the advice

RX: I need a 6ch receiver though, I'm currently using 5ch, and I want to keep a slot open for future mods + I already have 1 laying around that I was using in a boat.

AS3X: I eventually want to get into some FPV, some some extra stabilisation would be nice for capturing some quality footage over the historic Templehof airport.

ESC's: the problem with the smaller 3-5a escs is that they dont support 2s lipos Plus Im probably going to be running 6-7 servos so the additional BEC amperage is a selling point too.

Weight: I think she will be more like 200g when I'm finished, so saving a few grams wont really make too much difference. Also I need to consider that the FPV setup may add another 20g in the future.

Im a bit of a noob (for lack of a better expression) to all this stuff so please pick me up if Im mistaken
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Last edited by valiantGLX; Oct 26, 2012 at 07:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:06 AM
NaN
Andy2No's Avatar
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
Yes, I'd forgotten the smaller ESCs are just for single cell lipos.

I've forgotten what your wingspan is, but it seems it will have to fly pretty fast at 200g to avoid stalling. I have a Silverlit Airlifter (sold under various names) which is a roughly 50cm wingspan twin brushed motor only plane, with no moving surfaces. I put an Esky heli controller in it, instead of the toy grade receiver/ESC board, and use it with a 19.5g 2s 300mAh lipo (cheap, maybe 15C one). That weighs about 85g all up. I meant to fit an elevator servo but I decided it would raise the stall speed considerably, and wasn't really needed.

With twin motor steering, you don't necessarily need a rudder. It's nice for steering with the power off, but you can live without it. Elevators are nice, but you can even live without that If it's set up to climb under power, and gently descend when you cut it, that will do for a small plane.

Even so, 3 channels gives you two ESCs and an elevator, 4 gives you a rudder too. Ailerons are definitely an unnecessary luxury, and raise the stall speed further, with the extra weight.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:12 AM
NaN
Andy2No's Avatar
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
I have a Silverlit Airlifter (sold under various names)
AKA "Fast Lane Air Raptor".

If you really want full sized servo connectors, and an in flight stabilizing computer, you could also consider the MultiWii Lite:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=27109.

I've ordered one, but for a 1.4m wingspan PBY Catalina
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:15 AM
Master of Micro Modding
valiantGLX's Avatar
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
Yes, I'd forgotten the smaller ESCs are just for single cell lipos.

I've forgotten what your wingspan is, but it seems it will have to fly pretty fast at 200g to avoid stalling. I have a Silverlit Airlifter (sold under various names) which is a roughly 50cm wingspan twin brushed motor only plane, with no moving surfaces. I put an Esky heli controller in it, instead of the toy grade receiver/ESC board, and use it with a 19.5g 2s 300mAh lipo (cheap, maybe 15C one). That weighs about 85g all up. I meant to fit an elevator servo but I decided it would raise the stall speed considerably, and wasn't really needed.

With twin motor steering, you don't necessarily need a rudder. It's nice for steering with the power off, but you can live without it. Elevators are nice, but you can even live without that If it's set up to climb under power, and gently descend when you cut it, that will do for a small plane.

Even so, 3 channels gives you two ESCs and an elevator, 4 gives you a rudder too. Ailerons are definitely an unnecessary luxury, and raise the stall speed further, with the extra weight.
Yep, I forgot to take stall speed into consideration Wing span is 70cm x 12.5cm.

I dont use the rudder at all, even with my mustang, only ailerons, so I want to keep them.
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:18 AM
Master of Micro Modding
valiantGLX's Avatar
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2No View Post
AKA "Fast Lane Air Raptor".

If you really want full sized servo connectors, and an in flight stabilizing computer, you could also consider the MultiWii Lite:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=27109.

I've ordered one, but for a 1.4m wingspan PBY Catalina
I'd go the KK2.0 flashed with openaero2 but the orange3x should suffice.

Also I plan on directly soldering everything for better connections and to save weight.
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pictures: When planes were able to show off, at air shows Patrick Plawner Life, The Universe, and Politics 126 Mar 26, 2013 06:30 AM
Cool Show off your Parkzone Micro P-51!!! P-51C Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 938 Nov 20, 2012 06:49 PM
Discussion Show us those planes you really need to replace! JimTMich Parkflyers 8 Apr 26, 2012 11:05 AM
Discussion Show off those home made camera gimbals! ben1101 Aerial Photography 2 Jul 22, 2009 07:11 PM