HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:22 AM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,892 Posts
MrExcel,

Thank you, that is very generous of you, but I am sure I can find a similar one at my LHS. I do have a balsa one that I threw a helicopter drive with counter-rotating blades on, just because I had it, I should add an Rx and finish it like yours. You have inspired me! Thanks
dbacon is offline Find More Posts by dbacon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:24 AM
Joined Jul 2009
1,311 Posts
Good Luck with it.
mrexcel is offline Find More Posts by mrexcel
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:27 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,498 Posts
At last here is my CC Panorama's maiden flight. She's quite obese weighing in at around 130g in the air, and I think it is nose heavy too cause I was struggling to gain altitude.

....But it worked

Now for some weight reduction

Carbon Cub Panorama Maiden flight (3 min 7 sec)
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:05 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,892 Posts
Walk of shame? What? Should be a "Strut of Pride" Successful maiden, no pesky bystanders hit, even though the place was crawling with out of control crowds...
Also you would hate my videos, that's not easy... You should give her more credit.

Only thing though, are you traveling through time at a different rate than I am? Can you travel obliquely through time, covering less time than on a straight through path?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:31 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Apr 2007
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacon View Post
Only thing though, are you traveling through time at a different rate than I am? Can you travel obliquely through time, covering less time than on a straight through path?
I kept bangin' my IPhone on the table trying to make it work...
fleaz is online now Find More Posts by fleaz
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:17 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,892 Posts
You should be able to get that table working, try banging on it with a bigger phone....
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:24 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Apr 2007
204 Posts
Ohhhhh... These IPhone's are useless!
fleaz is online now Find More Posts by fleaz
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:23 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,498 Posts
Quote:
Walk of shame? What? Should be a "Strut of Pride" Successful maiden, no pesky bystanders hit, even though the place was crawling with out of control crowds...
Also you would hate my videos, that's not easy... You should give her more credit.

Thanks Im not sure it was successful though, did you see it cartwheelin down the run way ?

Berlin is far too populated, you cant go to any park without 1000's of people crowding the place, + it was the last warm day this year so the Germans were literally pouring out of the wood work. After I flew the panorama, I ran home to get my um mustang which I have had collecting dust for close to a year now. When I returned to Templehof (name of airport where I was flying) there were 3 times as many people as the wind had picked up and Germans love to fly kites. I had to walk for 30mins trying to find a free spot. Even then after 10mins my free spot had closed in with kite flyers, but I thought "fk you if I hit your ugly kite sporting kid n the face with my p-51 its your own stupid fault". There was a guy with a pink 2 string kite that set up next to me and tried to take down my mustang whenever it was in range, to no avail I might add. If he didnt have his kids with him I swear I would have punched him in the face.

My girlfriend never learns though, I always tell her to keep the camera rolling whether she is filming my boats, cars, helis and now planes. However every time I go to review the footage there are 10+ short vids. It gets pretty annoying, but I love her and I appreciate her trying.

Quote:
I think I may be missing something here

It is possible in theory though, but only in space. If you travel past something with enough mass and energy it is possible to bend time also making it possible to obliquely traverse from A to B just as fast as if one was traversing on a linier path.

I think Einstein came up with this theory some 90 years ago, which was proven to be correct around 2007/8. Also if my memory serves me correctly I think its called the geodetic effect, but its been a long time since I studied physics
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:16 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,892 Posts
Or you could have just been filming in slow motion...
I think all the kites are a throwback to the barrage balloons that were deployed during WW2, can't blame them for sticking to a successful campaign!

This happened to my Son and I, those kite strings are a force to be reckoned with. We had a mid wing plane with a SupreTigre 90 and it hit a string and brought the plane down (safely, luckily) in a spiral, as it sawed into the LE of the vacuum-bagged wing with fiberglass on it!

Of course the kite flyer, who said he wouldn't interfere as we were there first, went on and on about how we cut his string, like he couldn't stand having to tie a knot in it!.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:38 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,498 Posts
Quote:
Or you could have just been filming in slow motion...
I think all the kites are a throwback to the barrage balloons that were deployed during WW2, can't blame them for sticking to a successful campaign!

This happened to my Son and I, those kite strings are a force to be reckoned with. We had a mid wing plane with a SupreTigre 90 and it hit a string and brought the plane down (safely, luckily) in a spiral, as it sawed into the LE of the vacuum-bagged wing with fiberglass on it!

Of course the kite flyer, who said he wouldn't interfere as we were there first, went on and on about how we cut his string, like he couldn't stand having to tie a knot in it!.
There are three types of people in this world that I cannot stand:

Cyclists
Kite Flyers
Frisbee throwers

In that order
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:43 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,498 Posts
Ok I have a question for all you ar6400 geeks. How can I set up lights so that I can remotely switch them on??? I want to use the xport, and I have even programed the brick for the 5th ch, but for the life of me I cannot get them to switch on and off with my dx6i. They turn on as soon as I plug the battery in
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:55 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,892 Posts
A servo output is a stream of width modulated square waves, so they must be processed to provide an ON/OFF condition. As far as a load, it will always see "ON" even though they may be skinny pulses or fat pulses. I used the electronics of an old servo and used the motor output, which reverses polarity when the commanded position exceeds the detected position on the pot the servo moves. which you must set in the middle.

Someone here could provide a more elegant solution, as this was rather crude, and not as light weight as you need.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:04 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,498 Posts
Quote:
A servo output is a stream of width modulated square waves, so they must be processed to provide an ON/OFF condition. As far as a load, it will always see "ON" even though they may be skinny pulses or fat pulses. I used the electronics of an old servo and used the motor output, which reverses polarity when the commanded position exceeds the detected position on the pot the servo moves. which you must set in the middle.

Someone here could provide a more elegant solution, as this was rather crude, and not as light weight as you need.
Thanks for the info.

I just built one about 5mins ago though: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8097

It weighs about 2-3g, I could have made one less than 1g but I didnt want to butcher a working 1.7g servo.

The current issue is that it is not compatible with my sub gram flasher circuit, any ideas

EDIT: I didnt use the pot, I rigged up a couple of resistors in a 'W' formation to replace it I'll get some pics up later.

EDITED AGAIN: I also used 6030 SMD LEDs and 0.17mm enamel coated copper wire, all up it weighs next to nothing

EDITED FOR THE LAST TIME I SWEAR: Heres the pic, next to it is my flasher circuit. The motor wires go to the lights and the peak of the W formation resistors goes to the center pot wire. Also the plug for the xport is from a mCX2, perfect fit

Last edited by valiantGLX; Oct 22, 2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:37 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,892 Posts
The motor output will have one polarity, then the other polarity, and it may be a smaller voltage than the supply. So you need two things:
1. A diode in series with your circuit so current flows only in the proper direction.
2. A way to provide the voltage needed for the flasher.
Some of those high power LEDs want almost 4 volts to work, and your single cell may not have enough voltage to do it.
You might add an NPN transistor (like a 2N3904) to switch on the flasher with collector on the flasher negative wire and emitter on the negative battery connection. Then you could put a diode and a series current limiting resistor to the base, and tie it to one (or the other) motor output wire. Put the positive wire of your flasher circuit to the positive battery connection.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:48 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
I have used these simple, lightweight brushed ESC's to turn on LED's. A good thing about a brushed ESC is you can adjust the voltage to light LED "Just Right" and not need a resistor (using the travel extents in the TX).

Here is an ESC I have used:

Brushed ESC's are getting tougher to find, however.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN