HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:20 AM
Love the sport, not the plane
Hawaii
Joined Oct 2009
1,230 Posts
Your prop is WAY too big. I just built a 23" flying wing with similar electronics, and the 5043/5030 prop was way too much torque.
dylantorquerol is offline Find More Posts by dylantorquerol
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:54 AM
OY-5542
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Silkeborg
Joined Nov 2009
677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
The 2030's.

The Motor is 2X larger and the rack has ball bearings.

They are cheaper than the 2000's, too.

If using a single servo, a conventional 2.5 - 4g servo might work better, but I haven't tried one.
Hi!

The elder servos AS2000/AS2000L are not suited for use with the new AS3X-bricks.
But does the new 2030's work with other non-AS3X AR6400's? Could one use the new, apparantly also cheaper, servos with and old brick?
Would there be any advantages?

@Free: Beautifully build (even though I must admit the bracings might be a bit of an overkill...? It's still nicely done!).
Sorry to read that it doesn't fly well ;-(

Chrizz ;-)
Chrizz is offline Find More Posts by Chrizz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Chrizz; Jun 24, 2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:38 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrizz View Post
Hi!

The elder servos AS2000/AS2000L are not suited for use with the new AS3X-bricks.
But does the new 2030's work with other non-AS3X AR6400's? Could one use the new, apparantly also cheaper
The new servos are stronger and will last a lot longer (as long as they aren't bad). The only disadvantage is they weigh 2.3g instead of 1.7g for the Long throw versions.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:56 AM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
Looks like a lot of unnecessary bracing
In my opinion the bracing was completely necessary, because, first, I sanded the 1mm Depron on both sides to remove weight, (and A LOT of strength)(now ~.7mm), and second I milled A LOT of the foam for the same reasons I sanded it, so the foam is REALLY weak.

These are my reasons.

Free

P.S. Third reason, it is fun!(and good pracitce)
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
Last edited by Free; Jun 24, 2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:06 AM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,723 Posts
Wouldn't you get more strength out of the same amount of foam for the fuse, if it were a box cross section, rather than a "+" cross section?
dbacon is offline Find More Posts by dbacon
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:07 AM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder View Post
well the rudder servo in my su-26 went on the fritz today... locked up at full right and spun the plane into the ground, demolishing the nose of the plane...

so I copied an idea right from this thread and used the left over parts to make a flying wing after a little mixing everything moves the way it should, but who knows if it'll actually fly, LOL! I'll find out tomorrow!
Looks nice! What's the AUW?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylantorquerol View Post
Your prop is WAY too big. I just built a 23" flying wing with similar electronics, and the 5043/5030 prop was way too much torque.
I agree, your plane might have to much torque, a 2x2DD or a 3x2DD might work better (these are guesses on the prop sizes). Might want to look here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1616928

Free
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:07 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacon View Post
Wouldn't you get more strength out of the same amount of foam for the fuse, if it were a box cross section, rather than a "+" cross section?
A Box has more Strength, but a + shape 3D's better than a Box with the same weight.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:31 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post
In my opinion the bracing was completely necessary, because, first, I sanded the 1mm Depron on both sides to remove weight, (and A LOT of strength)(now ~.7mm), and second I milled A LOT of the foam for the same reasons I sanded it, so the foam is REALLY weak.

These are my reasons.

Free

P.S. Third reason, it is fun!(and good pracitce)

P.P.S. Fourth reason, I makes me look like I know what I am doing, LOL.
With all due respect, I think you'd have been better off to not tinker with sanding and milling and let the foam do the (structural) work. I just look at that big spider brace on each wing and think that a lot of your flying character went out the window when those were glued on.

Take the criticism, of course, for what it cost you to receive it, lol.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:40 AM
Licensed Lunatic
United States, FL, Lake City
Joined Mar 2012
254 Posts
yeah the prop is a little large, lol, but it's the only size I have from the su-26. I may try just cutting it down and rebalancing it. I'm not sure of the weight, I don't have a scale...
iamsuperbleeder is offline Find More Posts by iamsuperbleeder
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:50 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
With all due respect, I think you'd have been better off to not tinker with sanding and milling and let the foam do the (structural) work. I just look at that big spider brace on each wing and think that a lot of your flying character went out the window when those were glued on.

Take the criticism, of course, for what it cost you to receive it, lol.
I took the criticism, (and it hurt, LOL).

I do not think that the bracing or milling or sanding hinders flight performance, but improves it due to the light AUW. (29 grams)

The milling/sanding lightened the airframe by ~4 grams!

I would appreciate your opinion on why it would hinder performance.

Free
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:01 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post
I took the criticism, (and it hurt, LOL).

I do not think that the bracing or milling or sanding hinders flight performance, but improves it due to the light AUW. (29 grams)

The milling/sanding lightened the airframe by ~4 grams!

I would appreciate your opinion on why it would hinder performance.

Free
My guess would be either CG changes or aero issues due to the bracing.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:36 AM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder View Post
yeah the prop is a little large, lol, but it's the only size I have from the su-26. I may try just cutting it down and rebalancing it. I'm not sure of the weight, I don't have a scale...
Seems to me that to select prop size you should proceed in steps:
1. Start with the rpm the motor will be used at,
2. and the amps it can handle.
3. Then you consider the speed you want, select the right pitch for that,
4. Now you can determine the thrust it has.
Only at this point do you know if it will work for your plane weight and desired performance.
There are lots of charts that help with this. Such as:
http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/42232...aticthrust.htm
Use 95% in efficiency and RPM goes where it says "U".
dbacon is offline Find More Posts by dbacon
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:42 AM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,916 Posts
Has anyone here used an UMX Beast/Sbach motor on a CF tube? The tube I ordered is a little bit too small to fit snugly, and I'm having a devil of a time attaching the two.
Cheesehead is offline Find More Posts by Cheesehead
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:57 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,431 Posts
Drill a small hole about 20mm from the edge of the tube. Make the hole between 3-5mm. Carefully make a cut down the length of the tube till you get to the hole. You should be able to get the motor in it now. If it is too loose use a ziptie to tighten it.

No sense in throwing away perfectly good material.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:21 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
Has anyone here used an UMX Beast/Sbach motor on a CF tube? The tube I ordered is a little bit too small to fit snugly, and I'm having a devil of a time attaching the two.
I drilled a hole through the CF tube so the mounting screw from the factory mount would go thru and put heat shrink on to make it a little more snug...then epoxied the back side. The motor tube gets sandwiched with the CF tube inside and the Plastic mount on the outside.

You can then cut away the extra plastic from the mount, but I used rthe mount ears to help epoxy it to the foam.