to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 12:11 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
Here are some in flight pictures of my vintage foam (out of production for about 30 years) free flight MRC Ryan ST-A conversion that I posted about earlier. Action is from the great TINY 2012 indoor event last weekend in San Angelo, TX.
I love the Ryan's. I have one still in the box and one I converted about two years ago, before the widespread availability of ultra micro gear. I used an AR6100, Phx10,two 3.6gr servos, 10gr HK motor and 450mah 3s pack. One of these days I will build the second kit using a 2s umx system and all four channels.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:25 AM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
852 Posts
I took the big SFGs off on the wing tips to try to save weight and for looks. Will post pics soon.

Free
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined Jul 2008
12 Posts
My last two micro projects

1. Sport Pitts ......... RIP

All balsa sheet 0.5 - 0.8mm

died young

2. Cessna 208 Caravan FAC ....... waiting for some detailing

All balsa sheet: 1mm fuse sides, 0.5mm wings -ribs- fuse bottom and top, 1.5mm tail (ultra light balsa)
Simplex airfoil
WS: 50cm (19.7in)
49.4g
AR6400 Rx, stock parkzone motor and nanotech 160mah battery
3 blade parkzone prop will be used

After being fully tested I will share the plans

3. My next micro: Seawind
aeroesteban is offline Find More Posts by aeroesteban
Last edited by aeroesteban; Mar 18, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:49 PM
Wingnutz
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined May 2009
271 Posts
In search of BL 2s power

Thomas,
The photos of your Ryan are stunning, especially the one with the blurred lights and the sharp image of the model...good cameraman on that one!
Thanks for your advice on how to connect a BL 2s system to a regular AR6400. I Googled as you suggested and have installed a Rimfire 150, Thunderbird 6A esc and 180mah 2S battery from my UMX Beast...and it all works! (on the bench anyway!) Found a local electronics components place which sells the required diodes for 10 cents each! The cost of the motor, and esc made the project pricy anyway. Next time I'll be in less of a rush.
I'll post some photos of my porky (by AR6400 standards) Storch if I get it in the air.
Thanks again!
Bill

[/B]
Quote:
The little XF-12 was a 2005 project of mine. It is getting pretty long in the tooth, now....here is the link to it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354929

It would have been lighter and better with AR6400 stuff, but that was before we had it... It has 4 M20 brushed motors, direct drive, a GWS 5amp ESC, a micro 4 channel RX (back then..now it has a caseless Orange 6 ch Spektrum clone), a 3 cell 250 lipo (motors are wired in two pairs in series,and then the two pairs are wired in parallel, so each motor sees 1.5 lipo cells) Ailerons and elevators controlled by 4.4 gram BMS 303 servos.

I used a regular AR6400 on the Ryan, a s that was what I had on hand.The diode trick to use a normal brushless ESC with the AR6400 is pretty simple. All you have to do is to use any normal sub micro ESC. When you change the ESC connector to a uM AR6400 connector, you simply solder a Radio Shack 1N4001 diode (2 for 1.19 at radio shack) into the positive lead. The diode drops the BEC voltage enough that it works fine with the AR6400. The ESC then plugs into the X-port (4 pin connector) on the AR6400, offet to one side so it engages the correct three pins. The is channel 5 on the board, so the last step is to do a mix of channel 5 and throttle, so the throttle will control the ESC properly. A search for AR6400 and diode ought to turn up several threads discussing this technique...I did not invent it...
Bill Quantock is offline Find More Posts by Bill Quantock
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:53 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
I just stuck some brushless 6400's in micro classifieds if you guys are trying to find some.

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:55 PM
Wingnutz
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined May 2009
271 Posts
Wow!

Aero,
Your models are spectacular! I particularly like the 208 as it's not modelled frequently. Did you build it from plans?
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroesteban View Post
1. Sport Pitts ......... RIP

2. Cessna 208 Caravan FAC ....... waiting for some detailing

All balsa
50cm (19.7in)
49.4g
AR6400
Bill Quantock is offline Find More Posts by Bill Quantock
Last edited by Bill Quantock; Mar 17, 2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:21 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,950 Posts
Yes, Esteban, those are beautiful, will you be giving us the specs, (span, weight, motor, prop...)?
Also what the materials are, so I could come closer to building something this nice?
Thanks for sharing.
dbacon is offline Find More Posts by dbacon
Old Mar 16, 2012, 07:37 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,102 Posts
So I took my micro piaget from hobbyking and tossed some ar6400 gear on it. Its not bad. Quite similar to my extra. I will have to weigh them as I cant tell by feel which weighs more but it was a nice experiment. Hobbyking has them back in stock for like $50 with a motor/esc.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:46 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,510 Posts
Scored a very nice low mileage early white uM Sukhoi at a swap meet this weekend for 30 bucks and a new but very beat up uM 4-Site (wings destroyed in a midair on the first flight) for another 30 bucks....so lots of good uM Ar6400 parts for a couple of more future projects....
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:21 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,102 Posts
Quote:
Scored a very nice low mileage early white uM Sukhoi at a swap meet this weekend for 30 bucks and a new but very beat up uM 4-Site (wings destroyed in a midair on the first flight) for another 30 bucks....so lots of good uM Ar6400 parts for a couple of more future projects....
If you are stripping the old sukhoi would you be willing to sell the airframe? We have a younger guy in our local club who is trying like heck to get his sukhoi to fly but his airframe is just too far gone and its his only plane. If so, please let me know your price as I would love to buy it for him!
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:53 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,950 Posts
CloudFlying,
If the Suchoi is a little too wild for him, here is a P-51 that flies like a dream, nice and slow, easy to keep up with.
http://www.nitroplanes.com/epmp-24a-p51-mustang.html
I thought it would be awful, as the servos are slow, the linkage is sloppy, the tail was glued on crooked, but I couldn't have been more wrong.
dbacon is offline Find More Posts by dbacon
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:12 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
I have my original White Sukhoi in the box, in great shape, but upgraded my wheels so it ground handles much better. Probably wouldn't mind stripping the gear and selling airframe, shipped in box, and even the charger could go. Just don't know on price and shipping costs? No biggy, it sits and wait, I'm just not flying it often.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:34 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudflying View Post
If you are stripping the old sukhoi would you be willing to sell the airframe? We have a younger guy in our local club who is trying like heck to get his sukhoi to fly but his airframe is just too far gone and its his only plane. If so, please let me know your price as I would love to buy it for him!
We can probably work that out...if he is a deserving young modeler, like he sounds like he is, I would be willing to let the airframe go for postage only to a good home with him.

A very busy week coming up, so it will be a week or even two before I can tear the model down and get it ready to ship. Will send you a PM shortly.

I will take a good close look at it and make sure it is in as good a shape as it appears to be.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:37 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Quantock View Post
Thomas,
The photos of your Ryan are stunning, especially the one with the blurred lights and the sharp image of the model...good cameraman on that one!
Thanks for your advice on how to connect a BL 2s system to a regular AR6400. I Googled as you suggested and have installed a Rimfire 150, Thunderbird 6A esc and 180mah 2S battery from my UMX Beast...and it all works! (on the bench anyway!) Found a local electronics components place which sells the required diodes for 10 cents each! The cost of the motor, and esc made the project pricy anyway. Next time I'll be in less of a rush.
I'll post some photos of my porky (by AR6400 standards) Storch if I get it in the air.
Thanks again!
Bill

[/B]
I got by very inexpensively with a Turnigy 10 gram 2000Kv motor and a Turnigy Plush 6 amp ESC...I think I have around 20 bucks in both, allowing for some shipping expense.

Looking forward to seeing the Storch!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Mar 18, 2012 at 04:11 PM.