Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:57 AM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,192 Posts
Great job Vyceroy!
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:38 AM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudflying View Post
Guys I am desperatly searching for a umx 4site. I had one, flew the heck out of it then stripped the guts for another project and stupidly stepped on the airframe so I just tossed it. Now I want another as I have a place to fly indoors this winter. Anyone have one they want to get rid of??
Or you could try to make a copy of one, mill it and cover it in Mylar film, tissue paper, of plastic bags.

They are fun to build, sometimes frustrating, but make GREAT projects.

Free

P.S. If you make another one, put it on a table.
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,104 Posts
Haha I would make one but I am not going to have any time this week and I wanted it for this weekend. I found them for $80 new online but the website wont give me the shipping price until they ship it out, which I am not too fond of. Ah well maybe one will come along.

I posted to the classifieds before I posted this I just remembered seeing this thread and thought I would give it a shot

Thanks guys
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:12 PM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2002
731 Posts
Velie Monocoupe

Don't know if this qualifies as the radio and motor are from a Hobbyzone Champ...

Just finished my scratch up of a Flyline Velie Monocoupe. The build was fun, but the plane ended up needing an extra 8gms of lead (56gm RTF weight) in the nose. Hasn't flown yet; it's been dead calm around here all month until now!

Thinking about starting build #2 to incorporate the necessary changes to have the CG in the correct place without adding nose weight. I think it could be done and the benefit would be a lighter plane over all.

Stats: WS = 21 3/4", cord = 3 3/4", WA (usable) 70.31 sqin. RTF weight w160mah 1S = 56gms, WL = 115gms/sqft or just over 4oz/sqft.
rahtware is offline Find More Posts by rahtware
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:17 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,959 Posts
Nice plane, round motor, tail wheel, how can you get any better? I wouldn't worry about the extra weight, you got a five cylinder radial!

I do hate to add weight though, could you "bump" the wing back a little? Or put the battery next to the firewall?
dbacon is offline Find More Posts by dbacon
Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:23 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
852 Posts
Beautiful plane, did you total your Champ?

Free

P.S. It looks like a tail skid, not a tail wheel.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:02 PM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2002
731 Posts
Disclaimer: No Champ was harmed in the making of this plane. On one of the RCG threads I found this link... http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Detai...p?ID=200841116 The Champ fuse comes with radio, motor, prop/spinner, pushrods and control horns (already mounted in the tail feathers) for $38US. The only drawback was the $15 handling/shipping fee. That's still only $53 delivered, which is cheaper than my LHS wanted for the radio alone.

dbacon The sad part is that the battery protrudes through the cowl to help balance the plane. I really don't want to build another, but there is so much that I could try to improve the plane that I almost have convinced myself to do it.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:06 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,104 Posts
Lets try this anyone have an ar6400L they want to get rid of??
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:45 PM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2002
731 Posts
Test flights today. the Champ radio gave me some problems, but after switching batteries back and forth a few times it worked so I was able to run 4 batteries through the 'coupe.

First flight ended with a hard landing and a broken strut... I was sure I had checked the controls, but... After reversing the rudder servo I removed the non-structural struts and tried again. Ran the battery out and played with the controls trying to figure out the balance.

Second flight I decided to try to "shoot" a couple of pictures so with trans in my right hand and camera in my left, I got a couple of way-too-far-away pics. A bit of a rough landing, but the plane survived. I thought the plane had flown tail heavy so for the...

Third flight I pulled the battery about 1/4 inch forward... This is the flight when I shot the video. As you can tell from the video, the 'coupe was way nose heavy.

Before the forth flight I checked everything out and found that I had a bunch of up elevator cranked in so I reset the controls to neutral and set the battery back 3/8" from the last flight. This was what it needed! flew around on 3/4 throttle and turns were nice and flat with just a little control input. The flight ended with me clipping a weed and knocking the wing off on landing! Not a big deal as I had only tacked the wing on with 6 drops of tacky-glue so I could remove and change its location/angle of incidence if needed.

EDIT:  Took about 10 min. to glue the wing back on (no other damage...  Guess I'm lucky it didn't pop off mid air.  Fixed the broken wing strut, but don't think I will use them until I get everything worked out (or decide to jump straight into the next one).

Untitled (0 min 19 sec)
Last edited by rahtware; Mar 02, 2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:39 PM
Why Yes I Fly!
United States, IA
Joined Oct 2009
161 Posts
Nice Video, I have to do a science fair project so I decided to build an ultra micro ugly stik with changeable wings. He has not flown yet but I will have a video posted shortly and tell you how the science fair went
schroeder4 is offline Find More Posts by schroeder4
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:14 PM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2002
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schroeder4 View Post
Nice Video, I have to do a science fair project so I decided to build an ultra micro ugly stik with changeable wings. He has not flown yet but I will have a video posted shortly and tell you how the science fair went
Great! I wish you luck.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 06:27 PM
Joined Feb 2010
81 Posts
UM Seawind

This is my little Seawind. It flies great, and very slow & easy. It is build with the original AR6400 from an SU-26, with a su26-xp gearbox and corsair prop.

Absolutely love the plane. Wingspan is about 16.5" & all up weight is 38 grams.

The UM Seawind with its bigger Electrifly brother(not mine)

And fully painted and cowled

For complete build photos, images of inside layout and the modified plans to make this plane please see my build log
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594719
catspider is offline Find More Posts by catspider
Last edited by catspider; Mar 05, 2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Painted plane photo
Old Mar 01, 2012, 06:36 PM
Richard Cox
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Dec 2003
650 Posts
Here is my Wing using the UM Stryker guts and a Multiplex Fox wing.
Maiden flight today went pretty well, but it needed some vertical stab area,
so I cut the tips off, beveled them and put them back on.
Try again tomorrow. 35 grams w/o battery, Flew mostly at 1/3 throttle.
Richard Cox is offline Find More Posts by Richard Cox
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:15 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by catspider View Post
This is my little Seawind. It flies great, and very slow & easy. It is build with the original AR6400 from an SU-26, with a su26-xp gearbox and corsair prop.

Absolutely love the plane. Wingspan is about 16.5" & all up weight is 38 grams.

For complete build photos, images of inside layout and the modified plans to make this plane please see my build log
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594719
Beautiful plane!

What kind of foam did you use?

Free
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:22 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cox View Post
Here is my Wing using the UM Stryker guts and a Multiplex Fox wing.
Maiden flight today went pretty well, but it needed some vertical stab area,
so I cut the tips off, beveled them and put them back on.
Try again tomorrow. 35 grams w/o battery, Flew mostly at 1/3 throttle.
Very nice, did you have any pitch problems?

Free