SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:31 PM
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Sep 2010
288 Posts
Yeah, I thought you had built other stuff. It's all just one long learning process.
numanair is offline Find More Posts by numanair
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2012, 03:21 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,959 Posts
Whew, I am glad to see that you didn't give up. I remember all those posts, and your planes, I just didn't put it all together when I saw this most recent post. I panicked and quickly replied that you should hang in there before I did any research. Its all good...
dbacon is offline Find More Posts by dbacon
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:59 AM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,191 Posts
here's a video of my UM Monocoupe. It ended up needing a little noseweight. AUW ended up being 1.7oz (48g).

In the works now is a Dehavilland DHC-2 Beaver...hopefully done in the next couple of weeks.

Park Scale Models Wisp series Micro Monocoupe Maiden Flight (3 min 20 sec)
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:48 AM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,959 Posts
Beautiful, and it flies outside! Wow, at only 1.7 oz, very impressive. How much wind do you think you could put up with?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:49 PM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacon View Post
Beautiful, and it flies outside! Wow, at only 1.7 oz, very impressive. How much wind do you think you could put up with?
I think it was blowing somewhere around 4-7mph. as long as you can make headway, I guess it really doesn't matter. As long as you can get it down reasonably close to the ground, because it's so light, you can just plop it down into the grass and not worry about damage.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:37 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
852 Posts
Is that the same Monocoupe from page 134?

Free
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
Old Feb 17, 2012, 03:13 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,959 Posts
Flying so nice in the 4-7 MPH wind is very encouraging, I was afraid you had to have zero wind or fly indoors, two things that are rare for me. So maybe I can take my E-Flight extra 300 out, as it has lots of power, and could fly in a similar wind.
The new 3 axis stabilization that E-Flight is offering would make that even better!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 03:59 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Vid of a micro Fw190 I've been working on with the intention of turning it into a kit - you may have already seen the build thread as I posted it up only this week, but thought I'd stick it on the ar6400 thread too as it uses an ar6400!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IeKjsJi-z3A

And I have had very few problems using the little Rx brick. Super reliable - the odd twitchy servo but all good generally. I'm also running a 1.7g rotary servo for aileron control and just experimenting with a brushless setup too.

Build thread is here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594150
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
Last edited by deadbird; Feb 17, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 04:05 PM
ParkScaleModels
Joined Feb 2002
4,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post
Is that the same Monocoupe from page 134?

Free
Yep!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2012, 04:53 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Quantock View Post
Andy,
Loved the videos...I've never seen TV done quite that way! Your Triplane 2 video reminded me of the Storch tearing around the gym floor! Will try playing with horizontal stab incidence too.
Bill
Thanks, Bill.

Yes, your description of the Storch scooting around on the ground made me think of that video. It was definitely up to flying speed a couple of times there, but not flying. It looks like I had the battery most of the way back on the tail too, so it was just the thrust angle problem that was causing it, I think.

You can see in the first video that the motor was mounted a couple of inches above the nose, so that gives it quite a lot of down thrust if it's pointed level.

It was a crude attempt at something I'd seen done in a thread about a kite - vectored thrust with just two servos moving the motor and no moving control surfaces. He'd done it with proper gimbals though, whereas I'd just mounted one servo directly onto the horn of the other one, and strapped a motor mount to the second one.

Really, the motor needs to be mounted so it doesn't pull against a servo (which it did - the elevator servo had to struggle to keep it level as I increased the throttle). I think the thrust line needed to go through both pivot axes, and it probably needed a pull-pull arrangement on both servos moving a gimballed motor mount.
Andy2No is online now Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Feb 17, 2012, 05:30 PM
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Sep 2010
288 Posts
Deadbird,
I saw your build thread a couple if days ago and thought that it was one of the best looking profile build I've seen. That shading does wonders!
numanair is offline Find More Posts by numanair
Old Feb 17, 2012, 05:49 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,959 Posts
DeadBird,

What a beautiful plane! The detail is stunning, but the speed was a big surprise...
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:32 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
got a wild hair and started another plane .. i am sooo bad lol...

16 inch Fiddlersgreen P-6
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:36 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
852 Posts
Looks nice, what gear are you going to use?

Free
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:42 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
maybe a vapor brick i have laying around .. and a cub motor..
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy