1,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seitz2c View Post
If your putting it to a vote ! I vote Sky King . another Old fart heard from

Paul
Add me to the "Sky King" vote!
(And the Old Fart list...)
dbacon is offline Find More Posts by dbacon
Last edited by dbacon; Feb 08, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 02:10 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadman View Post
Thought I'd throw it out there ... could you put the AS3X system in a rudder/elevator only airplane? Would you realize the benefits? I'm building a StevensAero Air Camper and it is going to be really nice - would that new system top it all off?
I looked that up:
http://www.modelaviation.com/ihobby-as3x
Very interesting system, might be a great idea...
dbacon is offline Find More Posts by dbacon
Old Feb 08, 2012, 02:31 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpjohn View Post
Here is my latest laser cut sheet Depron UMX. Intended as a pusher jet using Stryker guts. Unfortunately my Stryker rx has developed a glitch that will cause one servo to go full travel and lock there about once a flight. This has destroyed or damaged three aircraft before I determined the cause. I am waiting on a used Stryker that I bought from another RCG member to arrive before I try to fly this one.

Wingspan is 12"
Airframe only tips the scales at 30 grams

The basic airframe will take very little modification to set up as an EDF once the UMX Mig15 fan is available

John
Well done.

I'm actually building a 12" too, but for my MDF25 with a 1015.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Feb 08, 2012, 03:08 PM
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Sep 2010
288 Posts
For that misbehaving servo, the brushes are probably misaligned and need to be bent back into shape. I had a servo that, due to the torque of the worm drive, would move too far one way and then shoot back to where it was supposed to be. Sounds like you have a similar problem John.
numanair is offline Find More Posts by numanair
Old Feb 08, 2012, 03:50 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by numanair View Post
For that misbehaving servo, the brushes are probably misaligned and need to be bent back into shape. I had a servo that, due to the torque of the worm drive, would move too far one way and then shoot back to where it was supposed to be. Sounds like you have a similar problem John.
Thanks for the input numamair. I have had three different servos in three different airplanes using two different batteries and two different transmitters all do the same thing. The common denominator is the rx board.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Last edited by pmpjohn; Feb 08, 2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: sp
Old Feb 08, 2012, 04:40 PM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelloggair View Post
could you make a f4d skyray by chance?
There's a plan in this thread if you can build...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=skyray
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
Old Feb 08, 2012, 07:49 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Thought I'd throw it out there ... could you put the AS3X system in a rudder/elevator only airplane? Would you realize the benefits? I'm building a StevensAero Air Camper and it is going to be really nice - would that new system top it all off?
I've installed an AS3X in a 3 channel Skybuggy, and found that it did not work well with just elevator and rudder outdoors in moderate winds, 5-15 mph. Cross winds made the main wing roll back and forth, but the plane retains its pitch and yaw. So it looks like it's on a rotisserie.

It would work better with aileron and elevator if you were limited to just two gyros. Indoors or outdoors-on-calm-days you'll make awesome touch and goes with just the elevator and rudder on the AS3X.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Feb 08, 2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 08:25 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Feb 2011
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
I've installed an AS3X in a 3 channel Skybuggy, and found that it did not work well with just elevator and rudder. It would work better with aileron and elevator if you were limited to just two gyros.
that's kinda what i was thinking.
chadman is offline Find More Posts by chadman
Old Feb 08, 2012, 09:14 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,384 Posts
Quote:
that's kinda what i was thinking.
You also need to retain the same board orientation as in the Beast 3D - I'm using the first generation board. On the Skybuggy, this meant installing it inside the fuselage and on top of the balsa floor.

The upcoming Mig 15 will have a programmable AS3X 2s board. We'll be able to set the direction of the gyros using the x-port and a pc. The board will be sold under Spektrum.

I'm currently building SA's Swift 100 4 ch. Aerobatic plane. This one will be able to utilize all AS3X gyro compensated channels.

These are nice kits. I'm hoping SA introduces more unique 4 channel micros in the future. I've caught some sort of bug, and would hate to loose what I've learned so far.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Feb 08, 2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 11:02 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Feb 2011
140 Posts
Ya, me too on the SA kits ... they keep saying that they'll have some new stuff out soon, and I keep waiting.
chadman is offline Find More Posts by chadman
Old Feb 09, 2012, 04:49 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,473 Posts
Wow

Fantastic job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpjohn View Post
Here is my latest laser cut sheet Depron UMX. Intended as a pusher jet using Stryker guts. Unfortunately my Stryker rx has developed a glitch that will cause one servo to go full travel and lock there about once a flight. This has destroyed or damaged three aircraft before I determined the cause. I am waiting on a used Stryker that I bought from another RCG member to arrive before I try to fly this one.

Wingspan is 12"
Airframe only tips the scales at 30 grams

The basic airframe will take very little modification to set up as an EDF once the UMX Mig15 fan is available

John
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:15 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
Some progress on the Micro Goose .. nacelles are done .. motors installed .. tomorrow cutting and rigging ailerons and flaps .. making adapter plugs for the motors and extensions for the aileron and flap servos .. the tipfloats will be last ..
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:29 AM
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Sep 2010
288 Posts
What a beauty. The Goose is one of my favorites. It should be able to take off of water right?
numanair is offline Find More Posts by numanair
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:46 AM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
Looks great! now it just needs some numbers on the wing!

SS
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002