HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2012, 01:11 AM
OY-5542
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Silkeborg
Joined Nov 2009
726 Posts
Hi Bill!
Your Storch looks great!
If you get the opportunity, a flight video would be interesting.
I'm building a Wilga right now and I'm quiet interested in the Storch too! Anyway it's a pretty bird you've made there.

Happy landings ;-)
Chrizz is offline Find More Posts by Chrizz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oxy 0.5
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2012, 07:02 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Quantock View Post
Here's the model that's been giving me the wiring grief. Waited to post until I'd gotten the wiring sorted and taxi tests completed in the basement. Got the tail up on one run before sanity took over!
It's a 'fairly' scale model of a WWII German Fieseler Storch. Chose it because it's so good looking (not)...actually it's another attempt to see how slow a scale micro can go indoors...so I started with an airplane that was designed to go slowly in the first place
So far, it's all 4-Site organs but with the size and weight of the model, I may be pushing the little 8.4mm brushed...
WS=33", weight so far 71g, calculated wing area approx 1 sq ft, so even if it puts on a few grams before I'm done, wing loading should still allow it to fly pretty slowly.
Interesting features include working landing gear(works the way the Storch's did I think, and sort of scale looking) using two ballpoint pen springs...I'm way oversprung. It takes a full pound to compress each spring completely...the model weighs less than 3oz! Only reason I didn't re-do the springs is I started with the landing gear and I'd have to dismantle the plane to change the springs!
Full length fixed wing slots (the Storch had these) It'll be interesting to see what these do (if anything).
Wikepedia shows a colour picture of Rommel's personal Storch while he was commanding German forces in N. Africa...it's white! so I'll probably just do all the brown camo squigglies with a brown sharpie.
I read a lot about Storches and if you're still reading all this babble of mine, I ran across a good true story involving a Storch. Apparently a Storch was the last aircraft "shot" down in a dogfight in Europe in WWII...by a Piper Cub! The American crew spotted the Storch below them and dived to attack, 45 service pistols blazing away out the window! In an attempt to evade the attack, the low flying Storch caught a wingtip and crashed injuring the crew. The Cub crew landed nearby and administered first aid!
It's been fun building this thing...now if I can get UNGN to tell me how to use the Xport to run the flaps while still using spoilerons, my Storch will only need a slight headwind to be able to "land backwards on an outhouse roof" (scale outhouse)
Maiden this weekend I hope.
Bill
I have always wanted to build a Stoch.

To get Flaps from the Xport, Mix Flaps>Gear 100%
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:20 AM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,893 Posts
Storch is beautiful to us Engineers, because it was designed for a purpose...
dbacon is offline Find More Posts by dbacon
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:07 AM
Wingnutz
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined May 2009
271 Posts
AR6400 for Dumbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post

Thanks UNGN. I use a DX5 for testing in the basement but I'll get around to binding to my DX8 today.
Did you ever consider writing "AR6400 for Dumbies"?
Bill
Bill Quantock is offline Find More Posts by Bill Quantock
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:21 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
Quote:

Thanks UNGN i need that for a Micro Grumman Goose im finishing up soon .. would be great with flaps..
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:31 AM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,154 Posts
Oh the Goose has been on my wish list for a long time!
That looks great. Want to sell it?
No?
Is there a build thread or some info at least?

Love the goose.
my current one is a dyecast coin bank. I thing the wing loading is too high for that one....
BlazingStar is online now Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:35 AM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
Beautiful plane! especially the shiny looks!

SS
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:40 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
no build thread on this one sorry .. i have been on a building spree and have not made time for a thread ..The plans are Modified FiddlersGreen paper model plans

22 inch span .. 2p-51 motor and gearboxes .. Props are the eflite 3 blades .. hope to have flaps on her with the ailerons..will probably use a 250 mah single cell
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:50 AM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,154 Posts
Ah too bad.
Hope it gets offered as a freebee by FG soon. I was considering trying one of those conversions. I have a mosquito brick sitting around.
how was it modified?
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:55 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
the nacelles mainlyand the hull and how its made .. just small things but make it much easier when building..
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:43 AM
Wingnutz
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined May 2009
271 Posts
Battery lead gauge? Way to build Vyceroy!

Quote:
It shouldn't within reason.

I use the 6" HK battery entensions all the time.
Hope I'm not going to the guru once too often...AR6400 battery lead...28ga wire?
Thanks in advance. Vyceroy...nice planes!!! How did you make the rounded part around the cockpit windows? Do you take time out to sleep?
Bill
Bill Quantock is offline Find More Posts by Bill Quantock
Last edited by Bill Quantock; Feb 03, 2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 03, 2012, 12:06 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
The foam bends and forms nicely .. plus the plans allow for cuts and all to help make the shape..

I do sleep but after 10 years of building like this i can build in my sleep.. my wife says i build/talk in my sleep
Old Feb 03, 2012, 12:18 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Quantock View Post
Hope I'm not going to the guru once too often...AR6400 battery lead...28ga wire?
Thanks in advance. Vyceroy...nice planes!!! How did you make the rounded part around the cockpit windows? Do you take time out to sleep?
Bill
Here's a link to the HK extensions

The Wire gage is similar to the current wires on the brick. Not sure of the gage.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Feb 03, 2012, 02:17 PM
centennial/aurora colorado
Joined Mar 2008
1,391 Posts
anyone know where to get the gears that drive the worm screw for the 6400?
kelloggair is offline Find More Posts by kelloggair
Old Feb 03, 2012, 02:52 PM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,154 Posts
PM me your address and I'll mail you a couple off of my 6400 that's gone bad.