Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 01, 2012, 02:16 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,891 Posts
And yet another amazing creation, thanks Vyceroy, you raised the bar even higher!
dbacon is offline Find More Posts by dbacon
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2012, 03:09 PM
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Sep 2010
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Quantock View Post
The Islander and the Spearhead look great! I'm impressed! Way to go all you builders!
Speaking of building, I'm still plugging away at my latest AR6400 build and ran into a problem I don't know how to solve...MY SERVO'S BEEPING!
When I plug in the left aileron servo(from a 4-Site) it beeps and won't move the aileron!
Help!
Bill
Check for debris in the gears. Make sure they turn smoothly and easily.
numanair is offline Find More Posts by numanair
Old Feb 01, 2012, 03:21 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,891 Posts
Hmm, an "open" servo eh? I have two, one is rough to turn, I think I got a tiny dot of glue on it. I know it is there, but I can't see it even with my magnifying desk lamp. I like the closed servos, and they can be just as light.
This one is less than $4, weighs 1.7 gram, and works for me:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...c_0_075kg.html
But the plug isn't the one that fits 6400 bricks, it is the micro 1.25mm pitch, not a Spektrum RX style. It is not Micro JST.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:07 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,279 Posts
Glenn at http://rc-connectors.com/ has everything to swap them out.
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:11 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,891 Posts
Yea, that's a great site, I was able to identify all my connectors from that. He has great info, pictures, and prices.

Thanks Pete.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Sep 2010
288 Posts
The micro connectors are a lot cheaper at sparkfun. http://www.sparkfun.com/products/11034
Old Feb 01, 2012, 11:21 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2011
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacon View Post
Hmm, an "open" servo eh? I have two, one is rough to turn, I think I got a tiny dot of glue on it. I know it is there, but I can't see it even with my magnifying desk lamp. I like the closed servos, and they can be just as light.
This one is less than $4, weighs 1.7 gram, and works for me:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...c_0_075kg.html
But the plug isn't the one that fits 6400 bricks, it is the micro 1.25mm pitch, not a Spektrum RX style. It is not Micro JST.
the connector they use on that is a molex connector made for: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Receiver_.html
which is compatible with spektrum transmitters.
UltraMicro is offline Find More Posts by UltraMicro
Old Feb 01, 2012, 11:29 PM
Joined Sep 2010
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMicro View Post
the connector they use on that is a molex connector made for: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Receiver_.html
which is compatible with spektrum transmitters.
The ar6400 has 1mm pitch connectors. Those are 1.5 I think, and so they will fit the ar6300 (I don't own one).
Old Feb 02, 2012, 05:18 AM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,891 Posts
I can measure them if someone needs the "pitch", just tell me.
That's the Rx I installed on my Snowball.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 06:49 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by numanair View Post
The micro connectors are a lot cheaper at sparkfun. http://www.sparkfun.com/products/11034
You need to be careful with those and move the wire on the servo frying end before you use it.

For someone who isn't a complete idiot, the price is right.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Feb 02, 2012, 04:43 PM
Wingnutz
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined May 2009
271 Posts
Beeping servo problem... battery lead length?

Identified the guilty culprit as the servo extension I used. Right and left servos both beeped and remained stationary when connected to this extension. Both worked normally when the extension was replaced.
Purchased it from Glenn at RC-connectors who offered to replace it if sent the suspect one back. I've had good luck with other orders from RC-connectors and great service from Glenn so I pulled the extensions from an older plane to get the new plane working and ordered some more from RC-connectors.
Glenn calls the plugs that fit the ar6400 and HH linear micro servos nano JST.

On another note, Does anyone know if increasing the length of the battery lead to the ar6400 by a couple of inches will create problems?
Bill
Bill Quantock is offline Find More Posts by Bill Quantock
Old Feb 02, 2012, 05:56 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
On another note, Does anyone know if increasing the length of the battery lead to the ar6400 by a couple of inches will create problems?
Bill
It shouldn't within reason.

I use the 6" HK battery entensions all the time.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Feb 02, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Sep 2010
288 Posts
Quote:
Identified the guilty culprit as the servo extension I used. Right and left servos both beeped and remained stationary when connected to this extension.
Bill
Are you sure it wasn't a servo reverser?
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:22 PM
Wingnutz
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined May 2009
271 Posts
Servo reverser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by numanair View Post
Are you sure it wasn't a servo reverser?
Don't think so. Looked identical to the other extensions and I've only ordered extensions.
Bill
Old Feb 03, 2012, 12:18 AM
Wingnutz
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined May 2009
271 Posts
"Before there were helicopters, there was the Storch"

Here's the model that's been giving me the wiring grief. Waited to post until I'd gotten the wiring sorted and taxi tests completed in the basement. Got the tail up on one run before sanity took over!
It's a 'fairly' scale model of a WWII German Fieseler Storch. Chose it because it's so good looking (not)...actually it's another attempt to see how slow a scale micro can go indoors...so I started with an airplane that was designed to go slowly in the first place
So far, it's all 4-Site organs but with the size and weight of the model, I may be pushing the little 8.4mm brushed...
WS=33", weight so far 71g, calculated wing area approx 1 sq ft, so even if it puts on a few grams before I'm done, wing loading should still allow it to fly pretty slowly.
Interesting features include working landing gear(works the way the Storch's did I think, and sort of scale looking) using two ballpoint pen springs...I'm way oversprung. It takes a full pound to compress each spring completely...the model weighs less than 3oz! Only reason I didn't re-do the springs is I started with the landing gear and I'd have to dismantle the plane to change the springs!
Full length fixed wing slots (the Storch had these) It'll be interesting to see what these do (if anything).
Wikepedia shows a colour picture of Rommel's personal Storch while he was commanding German forces in N. Africa...it's white! so I'll probably just do all the brown camo squigglies with a brown sharpie.
I read a lot about Storches and if you're still reading all this babble of mine, I ran across a good true story involving a Storch. Apparently a Storch was the last aircraft "shot" down in a dogfight in Europe in WWII...by a Piper Cub! The American crew spotted the Storch below them and dived to attack, 45 service pistols blazing away out the window! In an attempt to evade the attack, the low flying Storch caught a wingtip and crashed injuring the crew. The Cub crew landed nearby and administered first aid!
It's been fun building this thing...now if I can get UNGN to tell me how to use the Xport to run the flaps while still using spoilerons, my Storch will only need a slight headwind to be able to "land backwards on an outhouse roof" (scale outhouse)
Maiden this weekend I hope.
Bill
Last edited by Bill Quantock; Feb 15, 2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: spelling