HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:34 PM
Wingnutz
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined May 2009
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyceroy View Post
Waco YKS6 ..Still working on her but im almost done.. just need a canopy and wing struts ..

18 inch wingspan .. using UM P-51 motor and gearbox .. Rudder Elevator

Half thickness bluecor foam hotwired in half to 2mm thickness ..
Hey Vyceroy!
Nice job on the Waco! It was a photo of a YKS6 that first got me interested in building a micro WACO. How much does your model weigh? The motor may be out of a P-51 but the prop looks a little different...what are you using for a propellor...ooops, propeller? Did you make your own hot wire cutter? I'm about to try cutting some EPS wing cores for a larger model and know little about hot wire foam cutters.
Let us know how the plane flys!
Bill
Bill Quantock is offline Find More Posts by Bill Quantock
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:14 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,824 Posts
Thanks Bill .. the hot wire set up is self made .. kinda basic fred flinstone construction .. i use a larger train transformer as the power source .. The Plane flew today .. a bit nose heavy but did quite nicely .. I will be building a second version now with covering and a windshield ... the prop could be from a vapor i have a box of props , bricks , motors and gearboxes
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:30 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,385 Posts
SA Skybuggy and Swift 100's with AS3X

My first RC balsa plane (built Comets, and Guillows eons ago - but rubberband powered), Stevens Aero Skybuggy 100. It was a fun build, and I started out with a 6400L but have recently replaced it with a Beast 3D AS3X board.

I've yet to maiden it due to weather and real high winds.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: 1/27/2012 - Winds have finally died down to about 5-10 mph, 37 deg F, and Sunny this evening. I've balanced the Skybuggy using Hyperion 180 mahs. It FLIES! Currently, I only have the rudder and the elevator connected to the AS3X. In flight the planes behavior looks as if it's on a reciprocating rotisserie. It flies straight as an arrow but rolls back and forth in a cross wind. Pretty funny. It's the rudder gyro correcting since when the main wings bank the plane starts to yaw. Head wind or down wind it flies level, and something to keep in mind when landing.

The tailwheel works beautifully, and the 2500 KV motor provides more than enough power to overcome moderate winds. At WOT the plane starts to ascend, so I'll have to probably add some down elevator in a mix.

I've ordered an additional wing set so I can add ailerons to this unique looking bird. Looking forward to this mod since I tend to fly outdoors throughout the year, and windy days are no longer an excuse.

------------------------------------------------
1/29/12 While I wait for the Skybuggy's extra wing set, I've started the build of the Swift 100. It's a 4 channel aerobatic plane, and here is a prior build thread on it....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1428540

-----------------------------------------------
2/6/12 The Swift 100 is nearing completion. I should have it done by this weekend, and hopefully be able to fly it at E-Fest in Chicago.
----------------------------------------------
2/21/2012 - Double stacked the mosfets on the Swift 100 for more power: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3067
2/23/2012 - Video!

Stevens AeroModel Swift 100 with AS3X and Double Stacked Mosfets (4 min 39 sec)

Summaries

Sky Buggy (3 channel)
Pros:
- Great looking older style model airplane
- Fast interlocking build, but you want to take your time and enjoy it!
- Clear easy to read step by step instructions

Cons:
- 3 channels is not enough for AS3X to be affective in moderate winds
- The roll axis on these small planes are more susceptible to winds
- With just elevator and rudder being corrected it looks like it's on a
reciprocating skewer when a gust hits it - still able to fly straight, but
rolling back and forth.

Suggestion:
- Add ailerons, and it would be nice if the instructions and drawings included this as an option making it a 4 channel airframe.
Swift 100 (4 channel)
Pros:
- Another 3D puzzle like build. I found it so much fun.
- Instructions and drawings are clear and concise
- Flies like an arrow. Not a 3D plane but aerobatic.
- Can knife edge, and hover, but it does take a bit more stick control.
- 4 channels. Woohoo!
-Snappy rolls, and tight loops
-Inverted no problem
-Penetrates the wind better than the Beast 3D

Cons:
-Battery tray is a bit too open. It's ejected the battery on me twice.

Final remarks:
-The Swift 100 is a welcomed alternative to my Beast 3D on a moderately windy day (5-10 mph)
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; May 18, 2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Complete
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:18 AM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,966 Posts
SilverExpress,

Plane looks really nice, great covering job, but did that make it heavy? I just found UltraCote lite to be 1 oz per square foot, and when the whole plane should be 1 oz, seems like a problem.
dbacon is online now Find More Posts by dbacon
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:41 AM
Inspired by the wings of an An
Leeds
Joined Mar 2003
1,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacon View Post
SilverExpress,

Plane looks really nice, great covering job, but did that make it heavy? I just found UltraCote lite to be 1 oz per square foot, and when the whole plane should be 1 oz, seems like a problem.
Ultracote lite is around 0.12oz sq ft but still heavy for UMX models
Andycap is online now Find More Posts by Andycap
Old Jan 25, 2012, 02:06 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,979 Posts
nothing fancy, simple BL conversion here~
Nine Eagles Sky500 BL Ar6400L (0 min 34 sec)

Nine Eagles Sky 500
Converted to Parkzone Brick
5 gram Brushless
120 2s turnigy

EDIT: Just got back from park - This Plane is Kick ASS! Huge loops, powerful climb, excellent glide - say twice as powerful as HK miniswift but twice as small! will try inverted not sure though

<120 2s, 5gram BL and AR6400 brick makes this thing the PERFECT micro glider!
elvill is offline Find More Posts by elvill
Last edited by elvill; Jan 25, 2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 02:27 AM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andycap View Post
Ultracote lite is around 0.12oz sq ft but still heavy for UMX models
I got this weight from:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/ultracote...36098_prd1.htm

It isn't right?

Now I see this: http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdID=HANU964
Stating it is 0.12 oz sq ft.
Seems like I need to do my research a little better...

Thanks
Last edited by dbacon; Jan 25, 2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:34 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacon View Post
SilverExpress,

Hi dbacon,

I used stuff called Aerolite, and it is 0.60 ounces per square yard for the transparent versions, and slightly heavier for solid colors. It's made in England for Stevens Aero models. I'll have to check out this Ultracote lite next time. This plane has a huge wing surface, and its bigger than a umx.

I really enjoyed this laser cut balsa kit, and am now really looking forward to starting a Dumas kit. That one will probably be more involved in regards to installing rc gear. After i've gained enough experience I hope to do some scratchbuilds. You guys are a real inspiration, I am amazed at the skills, techniques, and talent being shared here - thanks all.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Jan 25, 2012 at 05:53 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:38 AM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,966 Posts
Yes I was led astray by bad data on my referenced site. Further references support Andycap's statement of .12 oz/sq ft.
Coverite's Microlite is 1/2 that weight at 0.066 oz/sq ft:
http://www.coverite.com/covering/covq0240.html
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:58 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
I wonder how that compares to the run of the mill tissue and 2-3 coats of dope I use.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:14 AM
Wingnutz
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined May 2009
272 Posts
Traditional stick and tissue vs depron

For indoor micros and park flyers, I'm a convert to depron. I recognize how well traditional stick and tissue handles tight curves and presents a great finish but with the exception of Zeke's Monocoupe, my experience has been balsa is heavy relative to depron. Weight is the enemy of flying indoors and anything you can do to lighten your model pays dividends in the air.
I still like traditional construction for some airplanes...I have a Dumas Dragon Rapide kit waiting in the workshop ( I may yet build that one in depron too), I'm scratch building a Cessna Bobcat/Crane using stick and tissue and the Stevens line of indoor stuff always catches my eye but I can build lightweight more quickly with Depron. Lightweight undercambered wings are easy and if the aircraft chosen is white and has flat fuselage surfaces depron doesn't need to be curved or painted.
Michael from Toronto who posted earlier in this thread has a 6 foot Cub which he flys INDOORS! (or outdoors if it's really calm)...depron allowed the wing loading to be kept at micro loading and allows the plane to fly slowly enough to manage indoors! It would be a great post to this thread except...it doesn't use an AR6400.
I await the balsa response...
Bill
P.S. I'm building another AR6400 indoor micro to be powered by the 8.4/8.5 mm brushed ...it's 33" wingspan and...depron.
Bill Quantock is offline Find More Posts by Bill Quantock
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:16 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,648 Posts
Even though it's not a 6400 plane, a link to that 6' Cub thread would be awesome.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:48 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,966 Posts
Hey if it is that light, it COULD be an AR6400 plane!

I noticed that Depron thinner than 3mm has a weight penalty, because the hard surfaces are where the majority of the weight is. So I will try my first Micro as a 3mm Depron Capricorn with the Micro hardware in it. Maybe lightning holes covered with Reynolds plastic wrap. Definitely EPP floats, although they suck water.

I "cheaped out" and bought Orange RX and servos, so I could stay with DSM2, which some say is superior to FAAST & FHSS with a lot of supporting science. Please, no rocks thrown my way... I am still supporting the AR6400 protocol. Don't hit.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:13 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,781 Posts
balsa is heavier, but prettier. tho the main problem is not the weight, you can build balsa as light. the problems is then the balsa is so fragile its unusable.

i build balsa. i like it. but its ........different. heavy, pretty. more options. more engineering.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:40 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,966 Posts
All my building of Nitro planes has been balsa, and I have to agree. But the indoor flyers are often involved in mid-airs, not something you want with balsa. Of course Depron will get wrecked too, but it is quicker to repair.

It will be hard to duplicate my SupreTigre 90 powered FA-18 with retracts and smoke in a micro model, but maybe someday...