HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 09, 2011, 09:58 PM
Addicted
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2011
1,061 Posts
Hi all. I'm on my third micro but first homebuilt. I have a Vapor and a Trojan but am using the Trojan guts for this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1551932

I haven't even maidened it yet but maybe tomorrow. Yesterday I realized rcfoam is only an hour from me so I went down and bought a few 3mm and one 2mm sheet of Depron. Also, a 2000kv/10g/2s BL and a Plush 6A ESC since I was there, haha.

So, with that said, I'll fly my balsa "Extra" until it crashes, then make another out of 2mm Depron.

My next question. Will the AR6400 work for an airplane with the 10g/2000kv BL? I'm not asking if/how to wire it. I'm asking if the plane (control surfaces) will be too large for the servos. I'm running the brick for elevator/rudder and twin 1.9g for the ailerons. If not, ill ask elsewhere so as not to hijack
Sixinarow is offline Find More Posts by Sixinarow
Last edited by Sixinarow; Dec 09, 2011 at 10:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2011, 10:18 PM
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixinarow View Post
Hi all. I'm on my third micro but first homebuilt. I have a Vapor and a Trojan but am using the Trojan guts for this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1551932

I haven't even maidened it yet but maybe tomorrow. Yesterday I realized rcfoam is only an hour from me so I went down and bought a few 3mm and one 2mm sheet of Depron. Also, a 2000kv/10g/2s BL and a Plush 6A ESC since I was there, haha.

So, with that said, I'll fly my balsa "Extra" until it crashes, then make another out of 2mm Depron.

My next question. Will the AR6400 work for an airplane with the 10g/2000kv BL? I'm not asking if/how to wire it. I'm asking if the plane (control surfaces) will be too large for the servos. I'm running the brick for elevator/rudder and twin 1.9g for the ailerons. If not, ill ask elsewhere so as not to hijack
The AR6400 will be fine in a plane up to about 5 Oz. The new bricks/servos might be good up to a 10 Oz plane.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:44 AM
Registered User
richard hanson's Avatar
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,491 Posts
If you are after 3D flying ,you will run into some real performance issues as the thrust on the little linear servos is not very high
use long servos (L) and make spades on control surfaces to aid the throw - also- hinging must be "floppy"
Our 22" Extra using beast stuff is a terrific peformer at 60 grams

go much above that sizewise , you will need to fly slower , have bigger surfaces because - -you have only so much thrust available from the servos.
Our 160 sqinch TIPO weighs 55 grams and has L servos and th e small geared motor as used in the UMX Extra - it is underpowered except for mild flying and the control power is minimal as there are no spades or aerodynamically balanced control sections.
I really don't se how a 10 oz plane will work with the 6400 series rx/servos
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:08 AM
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
I really don't se how a 10 oz plane will work with the 6400 series rx/servos
The NEW servos have 2X the power of the old ones.

SPMSA2030L.

The new AS3X bricks have these servos on the boards. They should have enough power for a 10 Oz plane (maybe a 5 Oz 3D plane).

New Servo


Old Servo:


Check out how much larger the motor is on the new servo.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Last edited by UNGN; Dec 10, 2011 at 11:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:47 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
boredom.is.me's Avatar
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
Why are they making bigger linears? They are annoying. They are good for weight, but not if they keep getting bigger and bigger.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:48 AM
Addicted
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2011
1,061 Posts
Thanks guys. I have the newer single servos and the standard AR6400 (UM Trojan).

Richard, my BL is about the same specs as the Park 180 you're using in your 140% 300.
Sixinarow is offline Find More Posts by Sixinarow
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:03 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,068 Posts
+1

Get rid of linear servos altogether and use micro rotary.




Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
Why are they making bigger linears? They are annoying. They are good for weight, but not if they keep getting bigger and bigger.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:33 PM
Registered User
richard hanson's Avatar
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,491 Posts
The linears are good and simple to boot - They are even accurate enough for the tiny helis
I would use rotary if they fit my 6400 type rx and were easy to come by. I will have th e new stabilized rx and linears when they are made avilable.
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:49 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
boredom.is.me's Avatar
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
The linears are good and simple to boot - They are even accurate enough for the tiny helis
I would use rotary if they fit my 6400 type rx and were easy to come by. I will have th e new stabilized rx and linears when they are made avilable.
I'ld rather get another BNF than buy an AS3X brick. I bet they cost around $80 or more. Compare that to "easy to come by" servos. I'll gladly wait 3 weeks.

But then again, my opinion is highly biased due to the fact that I do not like combination electronics anymore. I like individual components.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 01:20 PM
Registered User
UltraMicro's Avatar
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2011
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
How does it fly?
Flies great: you can go to my blog to get full review.
UltraMicro is offline Find More Posts by UltraMicro
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 01:37 PM
Ego varius quis.
Cheesehead's Avatar
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
+1

Get rid of linear servos altogether and use micro rotary.
Has anyone compared the torque of the small (HKS-282) rotarys from Hobbyking? Factory specs aren't worth much these days.
Cheesehead is offline Find More Posts by Cheesehead
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:38 PM
Registered User
Eclipse_7's Avatar
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
I remember flying my Ikarus foamies with GWS Pico and HS 55 servos. They generally came in at less than 7oz.

From my experiences with the linear servos, I would rather use a HS 50 than a larger linear servo. I've not seen any of the 2030L but it would have to be a huge improvement over the 2000L for me to consider using them in planes > 4oz.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:45 PM
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse_7 View Post
I remember flying my Ikarus foamies with GWS Pico and HS 55 servos. They generally came in at less than 7oz.

From my experiences with the linear servos, I would rather use a HS 50 than a larger linear servo. I've not seen any of the 2030L but it would have to be a huge improvement over the 2000L for me to consider using them in planes > 4oz.
For the same weight as an HS50, you could have three 2.3g servos. Two of the 2.3g servos would have more power than 1 HS50.

It also depends on what surface is being controlled. For Rudder on a 7Oz plane, I'd rather use a 2.3g servo that a 7g servo.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 03:17 PM
Registered User
Eclipse_7's Avatar
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
I'd rather use the 5.8g, 8.4oz/in HS 50 for a pull-pull rudder, or the 4.5g, 11oz/in torque HS 35.

But only on higher performance planes > 4oz.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 04:37 PM
Registered User
richard hanson's Avatar
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,491 Posts
Our 7 ounce 3d models (indoor/outdoor types ) use servo which are in th "20" in ounce range
Some of these are 5 gram digitals
The 60 gram 3dtypes work great running the 6400L stuff
on large models - 10 ounce- 16 ounce etc., we run to the 30 in ounce types Models like the Zoom/ Super Zoom are very responsive on this type
The new Venus is unreal in response using 30 in ounce
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pictures: When planes were able to show off, at air shows Patrick Plawner Life, The Universe, and Politics 126 Mar 26, 2013 06:30 AM
Cool Show off your Parkzone Micro P-51!!! P-51C Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 938 Nov 20, 2012 06:49 PM
Discussion Show us those planes you really need to replace! JimTMich Parkflyers 8 Apr 26, 2012 11:05 AM
Discussion Show off those home made camera gimbals! ben1101 Aerial Photography 2 Jul 22, 2009 07:11 PM
Gallery Show off your planes texan Wimberley Valley Flyers 4 Apr 13, 2006 02:10 AM