SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 12, 2011, 07:58 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
I could never get over its horrid stall. Plus you add a breath of wind, and it just becomes ugly to fly. I wanted some sport flying, which it does very well in perfect conditions, but conditions are hardly ever perfect and it was just a hand full. I found myself not taking it out which defeats the purpose of having it.

I was debating converting a FF kit or scratch building a F3A style ship (built up not that profile foam stuff). The corsair just caught my eye.

PS: I have a perfect UMX Beast frame minus the battery hatch if you're interested in spare parts.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2011, 04:26 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
Hey Eclipse, great job on the conversion! I'm sure it'll be a winner.
Here's Samson55's Dumas Corsair that used the 4site guts:
Dumas Corsair conversion AR6400 etc (2 min 10 sec)

Dumas Corsair conversion AR6400 etc pt 2 (0 min 25 sec)
danrc is offline Find More Posts by danrc
Old Sep 13, 2011, 03:20 AM
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Joined Jul 2007
1,013 Posts
Flies like the wind! Congratulations on a beautiful and very functional UM!

Jay
Faethor is offline Find More Posts by Faethor
Old Sep 19, 2011, 03:19 AM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
subscribed
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Sep 21, 2011, 03:43 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,788 Posts
quarter scale Lazy Bee, 4ch

my other baby. a 25% scale lazy bee. just shrunk down the plans and only put in what i needed. not sure of the AUW, but some where about the 30-40G mark. may be waay off.

4 channel, the ailerons DO help at this scale. i cant roll, but it does help a lot with the wind.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:04 PM
United States, RI
Joined Feb 2006
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
my other baby. a 25% scale lazy bee. just shrunk down the plans and only put in what i needed. not sure of the AUW, but some where about the 30-40G mark. may be waay off.

4 channel, the ailerons DO help at this scale. i cant roll, but it does help a lot with the wind.

I'm wondering why it wont roll. I have two homemade foamie bees. One is 24" wingspan powered by a 20g brushless (its actually way overpowered). This thing rolls like crazy and it has no ailerons. The other is about 18" and has the AR6400 setup and brushed motor. This rolls as well but the roll is not very pretty. Again no ailerons on this one.

Whats the weight of those wheels you have on there.

Tony
everynameistaken is offline Find More Posts by everynameistaken
Old Sep 22, 2011, 01:00 PM
United States, RI
Joined Feb 2006
383 Posts
Figured I'd throw in a couple of my own. The first is my micro stick. Its 16 wingspan. The wing is built with 3mm depron ribs, balsa leading edge and covered with 1mm depron. At just a little over an ounce with battery, even with the brushed setup shes wild, agile and responsive and yet shes sweet. Cut the throttle back and she becomes a pussycat. I'd love to go brushless on this one but dont have a motor small enough.

The second is somewhat experimental right now but I think I got it ironed out. I wanted something that was a simple build and be on the wild side. Its fashioned after the stick plane and its 20 wingspan and about 1.5 oz with battery. Initially I had a brushed setup on it (you can see where it used to be in the pics) but it left a little something to be desired (to make matters worse the AR6400 was going in to premature LVC) so I added a separate ESC and a 180 class brushless motor. Now it came alive. Its wild and responsive and even a little twitchy. Its cuts through the air and is faster than I expected. On my second flight with the brushless, the motor pulled out of the mount and damaged the windings. I do have a spare motor. I'll see how it go's next flight.

Tony
Old Sep 22, 2011, 01:00 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
4,109 Posts
Quote:
I'm wondering why it wont roll.
The size of the ailerons on his plane may be a clue.
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Sep 22, 2011, 01:44 PM
United States, RI
Joined Feb 2006
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
The size of the ailerons on his plane may be a clue.

Oops. I didn't even notice that.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 02:32 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,788 Posts
yeah, that is my guess as well. i made them small so i wont roll and crash, i tend to to that kind of thing. the wheels/axel assemble weights in at 4 grams, and its pretty far down. the 6 gram battery sits there as well.
last night i removed the wing and move the brick forward. AUW is 33.5 grams, but i used a AR6400T, about 4.1g, compared to the 3.8 of the regular. used a 2 grams servo, the nav light system weighs 1 gram, mostly cuz i only had the heavy parts on hand.
no carbon fiber, push rods are bamboo.
making a box for it so i can put it in a backpack.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Sep 22, 2011, 02:59 PM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,433 Posts
Here's one of my favorite things to do...
Make a model of an old Favorite that I built and crashed (after 3 hard stunting seasons) back in the early 90's. Pic of the original shows why my name is painted that way. The Original was a champion models, Stampe SV4B with an OS 90 FS. weighed 7 lbs. (!) and flew great!

The micro Stampe spans 22" and weighs 35g. three grams less than the t-28 I got the radio out of.
It flies great also, but in a much smaller area.

Nick
taildragger1589 is offline Find More Posts by taildragger1589
Old Sep 22, 2011, 03:43 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Micro Capricorn aka Flying W

I've started a separate thread but thought I should include my Micro Capricorn here too.

Micro Capricorn XXXS plus more wing flown by Otto Dieffenbach (1 min 15 sec)
Otto Dieffenbach is online now Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:21 PM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,433 Posts
Looks cool in the air!
Kinda like an rc paper plane.
taildragger1589 is offline Find More Posts by taildragger1589
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:34 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger1589 View Post
Looks cool in the air!
Kinda like an rc paper plane.
That was my first thought too but was not my intent. Best.
Otto Dieffenbach is online now Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:42 PM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everynameistaken View Post
Figured I'd throw in a couple of my own. The first is my micro stick. Its 16 wingspan. The wing is built with 3mm depron ribs, balsa leading edge and covered with 1mm depron. At just a little over an ounce with battery, even with the brushed setup shes wild, agile and responsive and yet shes sweet. Cut the throttle back and she becomes a pussycat. I'd love to go brushless on this one but dont have a motor small enough.

Tony
Any chance we'll see any plans?
Cheesehead is online now Find More Posts by Cheesehead