SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 06, 2010, 01:39 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,050 Posts
Hi, a question for Daemon. Iv'e got my PV-1000 now and I wanted to ask which input do you use for recording from your receiver? Is it the AVin on the top next to AVout or do you use the camera input with 5v on the side?

Does it matter which one to use and can it be selected in the setup? I didn't see an option to choose.

Thanks Geoff.
garris2 is offline Find More Posts by garris2
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:16 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,034 Posts
I had a quick play with the Car mini HD DVR and am impressed with the preliminary results.
I didnt want to hack the unit, so I bought a spare 2.5mm 4way av plug, and DC plug.
I hooked the plugs and a servo lead through a Ubec to run the recorder, as its a 5V device. ( my setups run off RVOSD 12v rail.)
I have only used default settings so far and havent looked into the menu settings.
The default setup records in 57second files, so a 10 minute recording is broken up into about 10 files.
Each 57 sec file is approx 97Mb, so any flight recording will be huge.
I figure I should get about an hour with an 8Gb SD card.
The aspect ratio of 16x9 is great, and the quality on screen from AV out is crystal clear.
16x9 does look a bit odd through the goggles as theres large bands top and bottom, so Im going to lose a fair bit of screen. I hope to fly with it next weekend, so will give a proper evaluation then.
So hold off on the expensive Gopros for a bit longer.
This baby isnt shaped like a barn door.... nice and slim frontal area.
(to be continued)
cheers
Frank
ommadawn is online now Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:29 AM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
I had a quick play with the Car mini HD DVR and am impressed with the preliminary results.
I didnt want to hack the unit, so I bought a spare 2.5mm 4way av plug, and DC plug.
I hooked the plugs and a servo lead through a Ubec to run the recorder, as its a 5V device. ( my setups run off RVOSD 12v rail.)
I have only used default settings so far and havent looked into the menu settings.
The default setup records in 57second files, so a 10 minute recording is broken up into about 10 files.
Each 57 sec file is approx 97Mb, so any flight recording will be huge.
I figure I should get about an hour with an 8Gb SD card.
The aspect ratio of 16x9 is great, and the quality on screen from AV out is crystal clear.
16x9 does look a bit odd through the goggles as theres large bands top and bottom, so Im going to lose a fair bit of screen. I hope to fly with it next weekend, so will give a proper evaluation then.
So hold off on the expensive Gopros for a bit longer.
This baby isnt shaped like a barn door.... nice and slim frontal area.
(to be continued)
cheers
Frank
Ahh, so yours has arrived.

I ordered one too, just after you did, mine's not here yet.....
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:48 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garris2 View Post
Hi, a question for Daemon. Iv'e got my PV-1000 now and I wanted to ask which input do you use for recording from your receiver? Is it the AVin on the top next to AVout or do you use the camera input with 5v on the side?

Does it matter which one to use and can it be selected in the setup? I didn't see an option to choose.

Thanks Geoff.
I use the AV IN on the top next to AV OUT. I suggest throwing a little strip of tape
over the plug to hold it down. I found it really easy to pop up about 1/8th of an inch.
Plug looks like it's in but it'll record nothing but static.

Be sure to go through all the menus and disable every OSD item you can, as some it
will record to the video itself. I also record using the 1280x960 setting at High quality.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2010, 02:16 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,311 Posts
Quote:
You can setup the OSD to supply 5V on either the video or the transmitter power rail... And get rid of the UBEC.

Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
Old Sep 12, 2010, 04:53 PM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,034 Posts
Thanks Alex, (again!)
I forgot I could power the cam and VTX separately!I have always just used 12v stuff.
That simplifies things somewhat.
I will eventually hack the device and wire a servo lead directly to the PCB rather than using the plugs, if it works out ok.
Cheers
Frank
Last edited by ommadawn; Sep 12, 2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 09:42 PM
Flying White Rabbit
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2009
737 Posts
I got one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Car-black-box...item2a08c79681

It's connected to Vid TX and powered off the radio bec in the plane. Great for the picture, only drawback is it isn't 60 fps @ 720 although it does do 60fps * 480i. Has a nice FPV friendly lens too.

Seems to work really well with 36,72 and 2.4 control and 1.2 and 2.4 VTX mix combinations so far. I think the quality is just as good as the GoPro and the profile is so much better than a mini brick and the weight of it is awesome. (I now have it installed to the Icon and have a movie ready to edit now)

Mr_B
8)
//
Mr_B is offline Find More Posts by Mr_B
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:33 PM
San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_B View Post
I got one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Car-black-box...item2a08c79681

It's connected to Vid TX and powered off the radio bec in the plane. Great for the picture, only drawback is it isn't 60 fps @ 720 although it does do 60fps * 480i. Has a nice FPV friendly lens too.

Seems to work really well with 36,72 and 2.4 control and 1.2 and 2.4 VTX mix combinations so far. I think the quality is just as good as the GoPro and the profile is so much better than a mini brick and the weight of it is awesome. (I now have it installed to the Icon and have a movie ready to edit now)

Mr_B
8)
//
Hmmm, I still have doubts that we're looking at a 720p recorder... 480i is all we can transmit over our vtx anyway so that's pretty sweet to have a built in recorder... Do you see LetterBox (black bars) when recording 480?
I cant wait to see footage! If possible to post a small 2-5minute un compressed clip for analysis (or you can run it through an analyzer yourself and post results.)
SoMoney is offline Find More Posts by SoMoney
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:57 PM
Flying White Rabbit
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2009
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMoney View Post
I cant wait to see footage! If possible to post a small 2-5minute un compressed clip for analysis (or you can run it through an analyzer yourself and post results.)

Ok for starters the video on the ground is 480i and is letterboxed with recorder osd so you know when the recorder is recording(need to check when it's in 480i record mode). There is no lag from the video out. I have it set to 15 min sections as when the recorder closes and opens a new file there is a slight glitch of a few milliseconds. Not that it's a problem.
I will get a small clip direct from the cam and post it in a couple of hours when I get home.

Mr_B
8)
//
Old Sep 13, 2010, 03:47 AM
Sam in Virginia
Hampton Virginia
Joined Jul 2005
597 Posts
I have been using the MDVR25 I got off Ebay for a little wile now and I thought it was OK at first but wile switching the output direct from the Eagle Eyes to my DVD screen verses the output direct from this DVR the difference was like night and day. The DVR degrades the video, sometimes a little more than other times, and has a slight lag time. It became more noticeable because I just setup an ET OSD Pro.
This is what I am using now.

So I am in the market for a new video recorder but like you know their's not much to choose from.
Has anyone tried the Sony VRDMC6 ?
http://www.circuitcity.com/applicati...=21-75723896-2

I know you would have to rip the video from the DVD to edit it if you wanted to upload it to Youtube.
This is the only post I could find of someone using one for FPV .
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=vrdmc6
So any opinions, good,bad?
sverlander is offline Find More Posts by sverlander
Old Sep 13, 2010, 04:41 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,034 Posts
Hi Brendan,
Thats the unit I got
Looking forward to your feedback.
Cheers
Frank
Old Sep 13, 2010, 07:15 AM
Flying White Rabbit
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2009
737 Posts
Black Box Recorder

I have attached a clip from the camera in the forum

Also don't use anything less than class 2 and no micro adapter ones either. Causes problems.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...1&d=1284375895

This is from a very rough ride in gusty conditions. The icon is a real handful in more than a breeze.

More than happy with this camera at 720. I havent tried the 640 @ 60 frames yet. Will be interesting to see if it isn't letterboxed in the realtime out video. Haven't checked yet.

Mr_B
8)
//
Old Sep 13, 2010, 07:51 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,034 Posts
What was the screen resolution in that clip?
I just installed mine on P+T mount on my favourite platform.(2.6m floater)
I hacked the camera, soldered in a 3wire servo lead, and have it running through the RVOSD.
Just looking for some good weather on the weekend.
Cant wait.
F
Old Sep 13, 2010, 08:34 AM
Flying White Rabbit
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2009
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
What was the screen resolution in that clip?
I just installed mine on P+T mount on my favourite platform.(2.6m floater)
I hacked the camera, soldered in a 3wire servo lead, and have it running through the RVOSD.
Just looking for some good weather on the weekend.
Cant wait.
F

That clip is the 1280x720@30fps.

Hmmm the only thing that I don't seem to do is get rid of the date. Looks like the date is stuck on there. Case of Vdub.exe run through with filter I think. It's not that annoying, just inconvenient I think.
Have you looked at the screen format in video out at the 960 & 480 res?

Mr_B
8)
//
Old Sep 13, 2010, 08:39 AM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Is this thing not suitable as a ground based recorder?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis