HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2010, 05:06 PM
What goes up...
England
Joined Apr 2010
198 Posts
no, i tried to order one of these

But im already thinking it was a bad idea now ive just seen an archos on ebay for £100 that would suit me a little better.

But if its not sent out within the week ill just get a refund and order either an archos or the DY/CS-T60

Edit:

Does any here use one of the T60 type recorders? Id be interested to know thier performance.
Krylon is offline Find More Posts by Krylon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2010, 09:39 PM
Sam in Virginia
Hampton Virginia
Joined Jul 2005
597 Posts
I remember reading a tread where someone here ordered one of these DVR's but I cant find it now. Anyone try one yet? I have been searching and reading to find out which one to buy but still clueless.
MDVR25

http://www.supercircuits.com/Digital...le-DVRs/MDVR25

Even cheeper here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150459744480

sverlander is offline Find More Posts by sverlander
Old Jun 25, 2010, 03:22 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,083 Posts
How much more do I have to spend to find the right system for flight recording?
My pal has a 'Digilife' this works OK. So I bought one off ebay. But my one is a later model and if there is any slight interference in the signal, it stops recording. Bah! It is a loverly camera and takes good HD video and stills.
I am thinking... Ouch my head hurts... Is there a way that I could get the camera to think it is still receiving a good signal?
If I was to put say a capacitor in line in the vid in lead, would this work?
Any ideas?
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2010, 05:59 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,844 Posts
I doubt it.
I think the video noise kind of swamps the thing. Too much rapidly changing information to process. Not sure.
I have a lovely little aiptek that does similar. I have recorded 30 minutes beaut, then 30 seconds and nada. It never tells you.
So I bought the BR3002 (same as in post #751)
Now thats gone flaky on me. I made 5 flight recordings today and only got the first 30 second test recording. GRRRRR! It displayed that it was recording, but there were no files. Also the recorder wont respond to the remote or the buttons other than rec/exit.
JUNK!
ommadawn is online now Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Jun 25, 2010, 06:14 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,844 Posts
Im giving the BR3002 a second chance. I just deleted the drive partition and am re formatting the HDD. The instructions say to format it as FAT32, however the WinXP disk management utility only offers NTFS as an option.
Is this likely to be an issue?
Cheers
Frank
EDIT:
Got it sorted. When I powered up the device it formatted itself.
Now it works like new again.
Must have had a corrupted file
ommadawn is online now Find More Posts by ommadawn
Last edited by ommadawn; Jun 25, 2010 at 06:47 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 03:14 PM
Rather be flyin
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Mar 2008
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtronic View Post
i agree with the laptop bulky problem

its just that i use to do a lot of HD video in the past, and
have a hard time to deal with 720x480 already, and want
at least 5mbps encoding to keep it clear.

my mini also have the NIVIDIA GPU wich help in playing mode, and possibly in encoding task

with corel capture (video studio X2) i use mpeg2 to encode (up to 6mbps)
but it reach near 100% CPU. With no compression, its 60% cpu usage while
encoding.

sample video here (16x9 ratio look not so bad):
http://www.vimeo.com/8406754

I also like the laptop because it going to be my second monitor for my
son wich will fly with me (2 remote plug togeter)
ggtronic,
What were you using to capture this video to your mini laptop? Is it an easycap or something like it? Thanks for your help,
tom83
tom83 is offline Find More Posts by tom83
Last edited by tom83; Jun 29, 2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 04:50 PM
What goes up...
England
Joined Apr 2010
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon View Post
no, i tried to order one of these

But im already thinking it was a bad idea now ive just seen an archos on ebay for £100 that would suit me a little better.

But if its not sent out within the week ill just get a refund and order either an archos or the DY/CS-T60

Edit:

Does any here use one of the T60 type recorders? Id be interested to know thier performance.
Ok well two-wayraidos.org are friendly but thier sites stock tracker is evidently broekn as 100+ actually means out of stock.
They did however offer a full refund so i bought a gen 4 archos of evilbay.
Ill post the results when i get to test it.
Last edited by Krylon; Jun 29, 2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 09:00 PM
Rather be flyin
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Mar 2008
450 Posts
This looks interesting but it does not have any recording specs. Any one know anything about it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/AV25-2GB-Portabl...item53dfa230b7
Thanks,
tom83
tom83 is offline Find More Posts by tom83
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:35 AM
What goes up...
England
Joined Apr 2010
198 Posts
this is the original supplier

http://www.newmp3technology.com/av25.htm

(thier site is printed on the unit)

No other details though

Edit, just re read the specs, as its qVGA its probrobly safe to assume it will only record in 320x240 resoloution as thats the only res it can playback files in.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 02:59 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,211 Posts
Man my head hurts! I have been reading through this thread and chasing links all afternoon and still am not sure what to go with. I want one that can possible be used as a travel dvr and video player as well. I had an Archos before and Liked it but sold it after finishing my travels. I really HATE the way they force you to buy additional plugins, modules to get full functionality. I liked the JXD 990 but it seems the quality just isn't there.

I am currently using an old Sony 8mm digital camcorder and it does ok but want to get away from the tapes, have better quality and be able to use it as a PMP/dvr when traveling.

So, anyone have an suggestions on an Archos/JXD 990 like device with the built in screen that will give decent quality recording? I don't care if it uses a HD or CF for media.

Thanks
techspy is online now Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Jun 30, 2010, 03:04 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy View Post
Man my head hurts! I have been reading through this thread and chasing links all afternoon and still am not sure what to go with. I want one that can possible be used as a travel dvr and video player as well. I had an Archos before and Liked it but sold it after finishing my travels. I really HATE the way they force you to buy additional plugins, modules to get full functionality. I liked the JXD 990 but it seems the quality just isn't there.

I am currently using an old Sony 8mm digital camcorder and it does ok but want to get away from the tapes, have better quality and be able to use it as a PMP/dvr when traveling.

So, anyone have an suggestions on an Archos/JXD 990 like device with the built in screen that will give decent quality recording? I don't care if it uses a HD or CF for media.

Thanks
If you have the money why dont you get the lawmate PV-1000? or PV-800 it has a 5mbps bitrate.
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Old Jul 01, 2010, 03:05 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,211 Posts
That is a nice unit however I found an Archos locally on craigslist with the dock and everything for $140. But, when I tried to meet the guy he said, well it is in the pawn shop, and his license is suspended and he has lawyers bills to pay etc so I would have to meet him at the pawn shop etc. So I said no thanks.

Then, even though there is nothing on the Wal-Mart website that is anything like a video recorder, I went by my local store just to look around. I then happened to see several RCA Lyra x3030's tucked away in a display case and marked down from $299 to $150. I didn't know anything about the unit so I looked over the box and tried a quick search online on my phone but couldn't find much on it. Anyway, I can take it back if I don't like it. So here is the info.

Here is a link to the review;
http://reviews.cnet.com/portable-vid...-31813542.html

I attached a picture of the video clip specs. I am sure there are others that have better quality, but this one seems pretty good. It comes with a lot of accessories. It has a dock with video in/out, usb and an IR adapter for channel tuning a tv etc. It also has a multi function plug (headphones, line in, line out) on the side that can be used instead of the dock. It has a record button right on top and although you still have to click 2 more times after pressing the record button, it is very convenient. It also has an SD card slot to transfer files or acts as a card reader when connected via usb. It has a rechargable battery and uses 5v for charging, dock use. But, it comes with a cigarette lighter adapter which will work fine at the field if it needs charging. It also has a hard cover that slides over the front which will be great screen protection while its in my closed up ground station. It shows full screen video when recording and does show static and not a bluescreen when signal is lost.

I will upload a short video test later and should get some flight video recorded this weekend

So far this thing seems pretty good. Definitely a step up from my digital tape camcorder.
techspy is online now Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Jul 01, 2010, 03:28 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,370 Posts
592x448? That's a very weird size. Problem is, you have to upscale that
to 640x480 or sites like YouTube will never generate their "480p" version of the video.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2010, 03:54 PM
Sam in Virginia
Hampton Virginia
Joined Jul 2005
597 Posts
This is raw test footage I recorded with a Mini DVR I bought off Ebay. The recorded video source is from my FPV camera which is a Range Video KX-191 camera and a 900 MHz 500mW transmitter and received by the matching Range Video 900 MHz receiver. The Mini DVR records in a AVI format 30 FPS @ 640x480 ,that plays good with my VLC media player but when using Windows Media Player all I get is sound and no video. I installed a Divex player and it would then play in Windows Media Player so I tried to edit the video in Windows Movie Maker 6 that came with Vista, everything seemed to work but when I published the movie it would squash the video in the top half of the screen and the bottom half was solid green. Seams the Divix code hosed Movie Maker so I uninstalled the Divix player and I am back to where I was before. It seems to work fine if I use VLC to play the video but I don't have any program to edit a AVI file. I did convert the AVI into a WMV with Xilisoft video converter but it made the video jumpy and degraded it.
The DVR is easy to setup and use and may work out if I can find the right program to edit the video. I bought this off Ebay and the listing said it came with a 4GB SD card but mine came with a 8GB card. It also came with 4 BNC to RCA adaptors, 2 A/V cables,USB thumb card reader and a 12 volt cigarette lighter adaptor with 2 barrel plugs to power the DVR and a video camera as it is deigned for video security recording. I haven't tried a in flight FPV recording yet as I am still waiting on a couple patch antennas and another receiver so I can use Eagle Eyes diversity as my range isn't that great with one receiver and the short stock receiver antenna. Till then I need to find a good AVI editor program that's as simple as Windows Movie Maker.
As for the noise in the video I am not sure if that's normal of if I have a problem with the video transmitter or receiver. I bought the 900mhz system from Range Video almost 2 years ago and tested it when I got it but never noticed the sound, I just checked the video to see if it worked. The sound seems to be affected by the brightness of the picture. Any thoughts if this is normal or a problem?
I'll post another video when I get back in the air. So far only 3 flights but did not have any way to record the video.
Mini DVR Test for FPV (0 min 54 sec)
sverlander is offline Find More Posts by sverlander
Old Jul 07, 2010, 04:15 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,370 Posts
Ouch. Should warn people about the sound.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member