HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:52 PM
SemperFi!
United States, TX, Texarkana
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
You can go into the Japan-FPV DVR menu and reduce the recording time per file. I forget the options, but there were four or five different ones to choose from. Once a recording time has expired it ends and starts up a new recording...so you get the whole flight, but in several smaller files vs a single bigger one.
So I noticed you are a fan of the Japan DVR with on screen view. I'm still trying to decide which DVR to go with, from what I've gathered I can get the same results using an EasyCap on my Mac and they sell for under $10 on eBay. Or buy the unit you have for $160 I think it was.

What's your opinion? Of course the EasyCap will require me to carry my laptop to the field, but I can run it off an inverter inside my truck so I'm not worried about battery life.

Just trying to rap up my options here as I want to fly this baby and get my maiden on video!

Thanks all,
Brian
BriGuy82 is offline Find More Posts by BriGuy82
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:51 AM
Saudi Arabia, Makkah Province, Thuwal
Joined Aug 2012
164 Posts
Has anyone tested the EzCap on a mac? The site says is only for win, but maybe you guys figured out how to use it on OSX.

Thanks!
Pass1 is offline Find More Posts by Pass1
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:15 PM
SemperFi!
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
EasyCap for Mac

I'm contemplating buying one. This guy uses it and the free software that comes with it to record his flights. And per the EasyCap website it says as long as your Mac is Intel powered it will work.

How to Record FPV Flights (0 min 56 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass1 View Post
Has anyone tested the EzCap on a mac? The site says is only for win, but maybe you guys figured out how to use it on OSX.

Thanks!
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:01 AM
Joined Aug 2012
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriGuy82 View Post
I'm contemplating buying one. This guy uses it and the free software that comes with it to record his flights. And per the EasyCap website it says as long as your Mac is Intel powered it will work.
<Video removed>
Thanks for the vide, but that is the EasyCap, rather than the EzCap. I have read that the Ez has far better quality, I can always boot my mac into windows, but if it is possible I would rather not. I will look for a comparison between the two, and see if the tradeoff between (quality*convenience)/price, and find out who wins!

Thanks!
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:09 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2006
975 Posts
Anyone knows if it's possible to use the easycap with Android tablets?
I couldn't get it to work with my win7 laptop but worked perfectly with my MacBook pro
trexpilot is online now Find More Posts by trexpilot
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:33 AM
SemperFi!
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the vide, but that is the EasyCap, rather than the EzCap. I have read that the Ez has far better quality, I can always boot my mac into windows, but if it is possible I would rather not. I will look for a comparison between the two, and see if the tradeoff between (quality*convenience)/price, and find out who wins!

Thanks!
Let me know what you find...
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:47 PM
SemperFi!
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!
From the information I've gathered and seen, they are the same product. In fact, if you contact them they will tell you that both products are from the same company. They changed the name from one to the other, not sure why but I do know the EasyCap and EZcap are made and sold by the same company.

Scroll back a few pages and you'll see where someone actually talked to a representative.

I'm thinking of buying the FoxTech DV02 or FPV Japan DVR. Not sure I really want to lug my $2500 MacBook out to the field every time I want to record.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:37 PM
Joined Aug 2012
164 Posts
Quote:
From the information I've gathered and seen, they are the same product. In fact, if you contact them they will tell you that both products are from the same company. They changed the name from one to the other, not sure why but I do know the EasyCap and EZcap are made and sold by the same company.

Scroll back a few pages and you'll see where someone actually talked to a representative.

I'm thinking of buying the FoxTech DV02 or FPV Japan DVR. Not sure I really want to lug my $2500 MacBook out to the field every time I want to record.
EzCap used to be easycap, but got copied and they switched names. Now that "real" one is the Ez one and costs about 30$, Easy less than 10. The laptop issue is a big one, my usual flying field is a 2 minute bike ride....mmmm decisions decisions.

Btw, the source of my knowledge is http://forum.easycap.co.uk/index.php?topic=109.0

Ciao
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:16 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,315 Posts
grazie per il post.

Quote:
EzCap used to be easycap, but got copied and they switched names. Now that "real" one is the Ez one and costs about 30$, Easy less than 10. The laptop issue is a big one, my usual flying field is a 2 minute bike ride....mmmm decisions decisions.

Btw, the source of my knowledge is http://forum.easycap.co.uk/index.php?topic=109.0

Ciao
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Last edited by m_beeson; Oct 07, 2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:17 PM
SemperFi!
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Quote:

Ciao
So if your running MAC OSX or on a PC, this company has a very reputable name and the reviews look very promising. This is most likely the product I would spend my money on for computer recording devices.

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/main...oduct1.en.html
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Aug 2012
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodjack View Post
i got one of these cheapo DVR's,very good for the price and reliable also.Obviously not Gopro video but very useful for a downed plane referance.
i also got the better one,as in more expensive,slightly better video quality but not worth the extra money in my view..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JXD-990-Po...item416ba74644
I'm a little confused on the specs for this one. What resolution does it actually record at? Do you have any samples? Thanks!

Quote:
So if your running MAC OSX or on a PC, this company has a very reputable name and the reviews look very promising. This is most likely the product I would spend my money on for computer recording devices.

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/main...oduct1.en.html
You are right, but I think this will be an overkill for my setup. It's 100$, plus laptop... Maybe there is a DVR on the same price range, that is portable and has decent quality. I looked throughout this post but it is still difficult to find a clear winner.
Last edited by Pass1; Oct 08, 2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:17 PM
SemperFi!
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
I'm a little confused on the specs for this one. What resolution does it actually record at? Do you have any samples? Thanks!

You are right, but I think this will be an overkill for my setup. It's 100$, plus laptop... Maybe there is a DVR on the same price range, that is portable and has decent quality. I looked throughout this post but it is still difficult to find a clear winner.
As soon as the DV02 comes back into stock at Foxtech I'm probably gonna order that. It's under $120 and has a screen to view, fits into your pocket also!
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/dv02-porta...der-p-541.html
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Aug 2012
164 Posts
Then why not the BEVRC PV700? They are both FPVJapan clones, right? With the obvious cuts in support, and customer service.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:20 AM
SemperFi!
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Then why not the BEVRC PV700? They are both FPVJapan clones, right? With the obvious cuts in support, and customer service.
This looks to be sold out as well..

So what I'm seeing is 3 main DVR's with built in screens? No more? There has to be more options out there.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:07 AM
..in a Johnny Cash voice.
Canada, NS, Beaver Bank
Joined Aug 2010
306 Posts
Quote:
So I noticed you are a fan of the Japan DVR with on screen view. I'm still trying to decide which DVR to go with, from what I've gathered I can get the same results using an EasyCap on my Mac and they sell for under $10 on eBay. Or buy the unit you have for $160 I think it was.

What's your opinion? Of course the EasyCap will require me to carry my laptop to the field, but I can run it off an inverter inside my truck so I'm not worried about battery life.

Just trying to rap up my options here as I want to fly this baby and get my maiden on video!

Thanks all,
Brian
Cool, you're on the right track with your choices... You will quickly tire of the setup that includes extra wires and things to forget and/or set up. The simplicity of the Japan DVR or similar will reward you with extra happy flying time and less frustration. No wires, less to forget, smaller, simple.
Vintabilly_NS is offline Find More Posts by Vintabilly_NS