Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 02, 2011, 03:44 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
I'm running my Emprex on 3A ubec and 3s lipo and it doesn't seem to get warm at all. I had my first flight with it today and I'm quite impressed at the quality considering the price. I had some other issues with video lines because of bad filtering, so I won't bother posting the video as it doesn't really show the Emprex in the best light.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 05:40 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,071 Posts
I just did a test trying another ESC (Better one). The amp draw is 0.78 The ESC did get a bit warm but I did not leave it on for long.
I also tried a 2s 1500mah lipo. This is the biggest one I have. As I watched, the volts started to drop. So this would not last long.
I am going to get a UBEC with my next order from my UK dealer.
Also I might look for a 6 volt Motorbike type battery.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Apr 03, 2011, 06:58 AM
The Dreamer
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2010
879 Posts
FYI The label on the rear of the EMPREX BPR: External power: DC 5V/2A. An AC mains plug pack of this rating is supplied with the DVR.

The USB cable supplied with the DVR is a mini USB at the DVR end and a double ( 2 x USB plug) USB at the PC end. The double USB is to increase the available current from the USB to 5V 1Amp.

I strongly suggest that only +5V is supplied to the BPR-101. Otherwise there is a chance of serious damage to the unit and or the hard disk.

A 3Amp UBEC set to +5V output works just fine on a 3s Lipo. As mentioned earlier in this thread..HK sell a cheap 3A turnigy UBEC.
Pisces is offline Find More Posts by Pisces
Last edited by Pisces; Apr 03, 2011 at 07:00 AM. Reason: typos fix
Old Apr 03, 2011, 07:54 AM
Flying like an Angel.
Austria
Joined Sep 2007
1,488 Posts
A normal BEC @5V is sometimes already too much.
Specifications of USB:
max. voltage 5,25V

The switching BECs have mostly 5,3V or sometimes more, which could create in long term damage to the device or the HDD.

I use the Turnigy low noise 3A BEC with a 3A Schottky diode, to drop the voltage to ~5V
BlueAngel2000 is offline Find More Posts by BlueAngel2000
Old Apr 05, 2011, 05:14 AM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Has anyone tried the other Emprex recorder on ebuyer?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/247811

I'm more than happy with the £9.99 Emprex recorder, just wondering if the £19.99 one is any better?

edit Here's a quick test I did with the Emprex this morning. I used Avidemux to deinterlace the video and it seems to have compressed the video a bit at the same time. Sorry about the bad flying, something has happened to my wing and I was fighting it all the time. I'll have to work on that for next time.

Emprex Recorder test (5 min 4 sec)

edit again Vimeo did something to the quality and it's rubbish now. I didn't record any sound, so you have to play your own music. I was going to go for the peak, but then thought better of it after I remembered which model I was flying.
Last edited by lovegroove; Apr 05, 2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old Apr 05, 2011, 10:02 AM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
There was me thinking that ebuyer were going to run out of stock of the Emprex unit and now I see they have more than 400 again.
Old Apr 05, 2011, 01:32 PM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Anyone try this unit from Jetview?

at ~$50 including shipping, small size, SD card, and remote control, this may do the ground station trick.

http://www.jetviewcctv.com/product_i...b99b55bfa56925
timnilson is offline Find More Posts by timnilson
Old Apr 05, 2011, 02:15 PM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
It records at a strange resolution, but other than that, it looks pretty good. Please purchase one and let us know how you get on.
Old Apr 05, 2011, 02:48 PM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove View Post
It records at a strange resolution, but other than that, it looks pretty good. Please purchase one and let us know how you get on.
I did and I will.
timnilson is offline Find More Posts by timnilson
Old Apr 06, 2011, 06:23 AM
Joined Jan 2010
103 Posts
deleted
CySe is offline Find More Posts by CySe
Last edited by CySe; Apr 06, 2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 06:38 AM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CySe View Post
deleted
I take it that you got it to work? You have to push the power button after you connect it up by USB.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 06:13 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,819 Posts
I bought one of these and havent looked back! This is my 6th attempt at a recorder and I think its going to be the last one I buy. It ticks almost all the boxes.
Its a portable DVD burner, that takes multiple types of inputs, but most importantly it has AV in, and I havent had it stop yet through some pretty bad signal breakups.
And if you shop around you can get a good deal. best price so far is a reconditioned unit with Sony warranty deal from Geeks.com, for$99.
I record at max quality and get a smidgin over an hour per disc. You can downrate the quality and boost the record time, or change discs on the fly. I use +RW discs, so can erase them when finished.
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?Inv...-FB-R&cpc=RESX
Heres a clip I recorded with the burner. It suffers from AVI and Vimeo degradation, but the actual disc plays back on my bigscreen TV in almost DVD quality.
Tapanappa Conservation Park, South Australia. (13 min 37 sec)

The only hassle is changing discs on the fly. It takes about a minute to swap out a disc and continue recording. This is manageable I think.
Cheers
Frank
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Last edited by ommadawn; Apr 11, 2011 at 08:54 AM. Reason: update URL
Old Apr 09, 2011, 08:33 AM
UK, Hertfordshire, Hitchin
Joined Aug 2007
80 Posts
That's an awesome video Frank. I've just bought a Lawmate PV500ECO.
Ben Cook is offline Find More Posts by Ben Cook
Old Apr 09, 2011, 08:43 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,819 Posts
The PV500eco sounds like an excellent piece of kit, nice and small. Not cheap though. If I added up all the $$ I have spent on dodgy recorders over the years I probably could have bought one. Im up to my 6th recorder so far and hopefully this will be the last.
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Apr 09, 2011, 02:25 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,937 Posts
I finally flew (and recorded) with my VuePoint recorder today. The pass thru video on my little monitor looked fine. I didn't like all the recorder displays that show up though (time, disk capacity? icon, etc as they obstructed some of the OSD readings. That's really not a huge biggy as I'd mostly be flying on straight thru goggles with the recorder on the backup monitor. The video produced is certainly not of the highest quality though. Some backgrounds looked 'blurry' with a lot of pixel colorization. My 8MM digital camera did much better, but was a lot bulkier too.

In the long run, for $40 the VuPoint will fit the bill. I plan on most of my FPV flying to be recorded by an on-board GoPro. All I need is a backup recorder...just in case.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member