Old Mar 24, 2011, 03:49 PM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiloschista View Post
Hi,

I just got my new PV500 ECO. Thanks boopidoo and Ian for finally stimulating me to buy this device.
I'm very satisfied with the great quality of all the components.
The remote is IR and not wired like boopidoo one.
Just to clarify, I have an IR-remote as well. The wired remote does only have one function which is to turns power on & start recording / stop recording & turns off power.

So, how much did you pay for it in the end?
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Old Mar 24, 2011, 03:57 PM
T.ing to put on air 100 models
Switzerland
Joined Feb 2008
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopidoo View Post
Just to clarify, I have an IR-remote as well. The wired remote does only have one function which is to turns power on & start recording / stop recording & turns off power.

So, how much did you pay for it in the end?
oops, I exchanged it for a microphone
I still have to study it.

$335.-

Ric
chiloschista is offline Find More Posts by chiloschista
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:29 PM
NDw
Ireland, Limerick, Kilmallock
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
So a final test of the £9.99 Emprex.

I couldn't find a DVD to use as a good source so I downloaded Ian's gopro fpv video and recorded that onto the Emprex. The bitrate was very low, perhaps the white of the video comresses very well. But it looks good to me.

Emprex test HQ source (1 min 0 sec)
NDw is offline Find More Posts by NDw
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:07 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,710 Posts
Using an HD source or recording off TV will always result in a much higher
quality at a lower bitrate because there's no wireless transmission noise. Noise
is incompressible, so the real challenge for any ground based recorder is to capture
the noise (which just eats up bitrate) while retaining real image detail
in the remaining bitrate. Some recorders will just increase the bitrate as
far as needed to capture everything. Others have an effective cap, so
the ground details just start to blur together and such.

As for your transcoding above. Something's wrong there. It's stuttering pretty
badly. Dunno if it's the recorder (doubt it, since we've seen better), or whatever you
used to play my original (which is smooth), but it looks like it's playing at
about 20fps, with regular long pauses.

The only reliable way to test any ground recorder is to actually record flights
transmitted over the air. Those that picked up that batch of Lawmate PV500CK's
(old generation recorders) learned that the hard way.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2011, 05:51 AM
NDw
Ireland, Limerick, Kilmallock
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
Alright I might try your SD recording, recorded onto the emprex to eliminate my camera as yours seems to give very crisp images close to the ground.

With regard to the transcoding stuttering, yes I was using an old DVD player as it had rca outputs. I think the heads need to be cleaned.
NDw is offline Find More Posts by NDw
Old Mar 25, 2011, 06:31 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
I have my emprex all wired up now and ready to record an actual FPV flight, but as usual, the weather isn't playing ball, with strong winds and rain forecast for the weekend. If the wind calms down a bit later, I will try to get out and do some flying, even if it's just a non-FPV flight but with FPV recording.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:48 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
well, doesn't look like it's going to happen today. Had 5 mins of no wind and I started to get my stuff ready to go flying, but it started raining before I got out the front door.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:55 AM
Firefox
USA, KS
Joined Oct 2005
1,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDw View Post
The 9.99 Emprex is a solid reliable recorder. Nvr cuts out on static. One touch(well you have to turn it on first) record. But only average record quality.

If you want singificantly better record quality then I think the lawmates are prob the best option, as I imagine if you damage it accidently they'll have warrantly cover ect.

Anyone sell these in the US for a reasonable price.
Firefox675 is offline Find More Posts by Firefox675
Old Mar 27, 2011, 04:02 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
So today was my first test flight with the VuPoint recorder. I thought I had everything set up right, but when I got home I only had audio...no video recorded. Bummer. I grounded tested the setup with feed through and it recorded okay. I don't know what I did wrong at the field, but I didn't have it setup in feed through so had no idea what it was/wasn't doing. I guess I'll hook it up to my backup 7" LCD so I can verify it's recording. I'm not to worried about lower quality video on the pass through as it'll be on the backup display anyway.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2011, 04:13 PM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
So today was my first test flight with the VuPoint recorder. I thought I had everything set up right, but when I got home I only had audio...no video recorded. Bummer. I grounded tested the setup with feed through and it recorded okay. I don't know what I did wrong at the field, but I didn't have it setup in feed through so had no idea what it was/wasn't doing. I guess I'll hook it up to my backup 7" LCD so I can verify it's recording. I'm not to worried about lower quality video on the pass through as it'll be on the backup display anyway.
I had to go through several ground sessions before I got it to record reliably. Now, all I do is hit the record button. BTW, I reformated my card and that seemed to help a lot. Also be sure the AV in connector in pushed all the way in. Are you using the cables that came with the VuPont? I am because they are different than some of the others. Could explain the audio only recording.
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Mar 27, 2011, 04:44 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
I had to go through several ground sessions before I got it to record reliably. Now, all I do is hit the record button. BTW, I reformated my card and that seemed to help a lot. Also be sure the AV in connector in pushed all the way in. Are you using the cables that came with the VuPont? I am because they are different than some of the others. Could explain the audio only recording.
Yes, I'm using the VuPoint cables. I have no idea why it didn't record video...I'm pretty sure everything was plugged in okay. Who knows...a real mystery. Nothing lost as it was just a 'show and tell' flight. It could have turned out bad though. You see, I forgot to turn on and start the VuPoint until after I was already flying. No sweat, I'm on a 'close in' waypoint mission so the AP has things handled. I move to turn on the recorder...LEDs to dim to tell if it's on when outside (I'll fix that Crist), then start the REC and try to see if the REC LED is flashing. Once sorted out I looked back in my display and my plane was on a slow altitude decline and was just above 100 feet at ~1/2 mile out...and of course I didn't know where it was by LOS. No panic though...simple fix with a little up elevator for a safer altitude. I could have missed recording a nice crash though had things gone worse. A later review of my OSD settings showed I, somehow, managed to turn off my Rate Of Climb Gain, thus, essentially, turning off the APs elevator control authority. Dumb mistake...don't know how I managed to do that. Anyway. I had the recorder working fine with the FPV Rx and video splitter in pass-through mode at home. I'll keep it in pass-through on my backup display just to verify everything's working.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2011, 04:45 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
Just another input on the VuPoint recorder. When powering it up it seems I have to hold the power button a few seconds and listen for a little 'electronic click', then wait a little longer before the power light comes on. Same thing with shutting down. It certainly isn't an instant on/off device. Once more familiar with it and turning it on BEFORE I launch I don't think it'll be any issue.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:26 PM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Just another input on the VuPoint recorder. When powering it up it seems I have to hold the power button a few seconds and listen for a little 'electronic click', then wait a little longer before the power light comes on. Same thing with shutting down. It certainly isn't an instant on/off device. Once more familiar with it and turning it on BEFORE I launch I don't think it'll be any issue.
Same thing here. Do the LED mod. So much easier.
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:41 PM
Italy
Joined May 2009
364 Posts
My JXD 990 stopped recording, it records to an inexistent file, I have 2 old broken movies on it, tried to reset, format and use esternal memory card but it won't record nothing

does the emprex exist only for uk customers?
anestetico is offline Find More Posts by anestetico