Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:59 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAngel2000 View Post
I have the same problem.

I will get the Emprex unit from UK via the user coyote, but the VuPoint would be much better, because of the use of SD cards.
I was not even able to get the Emprex even though I payed probably four times it's price plus lot's on shipping.

It truly looks like the VuPoint is only available in the US and the Emprex in GB. :-(

What alternatives do we have other than the two? I really would prefer a little independant device, not a camcorder.

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:13 AM
Flying like an Angel.
Austria
Joined Sep 2007
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
I was not even able to get the Emprex even though I payed probably four times it's price plus lot's on shipping.

It truly looks like the VuPoint is only available in the US and the Emprex in GB. :-(

What alternatives do we have other than the two? I really would prefer a little independant device, not a camcorder.

Markus
I have not directly ordered from ebuyer.com.
I ordered with the address from coyote and payed with paypal.
They will sent the unit to his uk address and he will resend it to Austria.

there is an alternative in Germany:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
maybe they will send to Switzerland.
BlueAngel2000 is offline Find More Posts by BlueAngel2000
Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:35 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
My IDE drive for my emprex arrived today and I've connected it up and done a very quick test and it seems to work well. Typically it's raining cats and dogs today, so I can't get out for a proper FPV test, but I will definitely manage it in the next few days.

I may have to order a couple more units as spares, because at that price you really can't go wrong.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Mar 19, 2011, 01:11 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAngel2000 View Post
I have not directly ordered from ebuyer.com.
I ordered with the address from coyote and payed with paypal.
They will sent the unit to his uk address and he will resend it to Austria.

there is an alternative in Germany:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
maybe they will send to Switzerland.
Thanks BlueAngel2000 for the tip but I e-mailed them a couple of times. They don't even answer to emails. At least not to emails from me. :-( This really seems to be a tuff one....

Markus
Old Mar 19, 2011, 04:16 PM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Thanks BlueAngel2000 for the tip but I e-mailed them a couple of times. They don't even answer to emails. At least not to emails from me. :-( This really seems to be a tuff one....

Markus
Where do you live? If you're really desperate for an emprex, I'm sure I could help you out.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 04:48 PM
NDw
Ireland, Limerick, Kilmallock
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
Are you sure they don't send to switzerland? I can't register on ebuyer but can checkout via google checkout. Delivery time was impressive. From UK normally takes about a week but took about two days

I've been thinking of ordering a spare also as I'm very happy with it for the money.

To supply it with 5 volts I'm using an old esc that stopped working. The bec is still fine.
NDw is offline Find More Posts by NDw
Last edited by NDw; Mar 19, 2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 06:13 PM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDw View Post
Are you sure they don't send to switzerland? I can't register on ebuyer but can checkout via google checkout. Delivery time was impressive. From UK normally takes about a week but took about two days

I've been thinking of ordering a spare also as I'm very happy with it for the money.

To supply it with 5 volts I'm using an old esc that stopped working. The bec is still fine.
5v? I was planning on supplying it with 12 from a 3s lipo. Are you powering it through the USB?
Old Mar 19, 2011, 06:33 PM
NDw
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
Nope. I'm 99.9% certain the wall adapter is 5v. I can't find it right now to verify. 100% certain it works off the 5v of the esc.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 06:44 PM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Nope. I'm 99.9% certain the wall adapter is 5v. I can't find it right now to verify. 100% certain it works off the 5v of the esc.
Wow, that will teach me to read. I thought it was odd that it would be 12v, but I thought I had read 12v on the emprex itself. You are of course correct, it's 5v, so now I have to add a BEC to my groundstation to power the emprex. I'm so glad I saw this post before just wildly hooking it up to 12v.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 07:19 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove View Post
Where do you live? If you're really desperate for an emprex, I'm sure I could help you out.
That would be super cool. I live in Switzerland, so shipping one from the UK to Switzerland should not be such a big deal I belive. If you have a PayPal account I can send you the money it takes. I'm also open to whatever you propose. Hmm, I see you live in Fance? How did you managed to get one???

Markus
Old Mar 19, 2011, 07:52 PM
The Dreamer
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2010
939 Posts
Quote:
That'll prob depend on where you live as the emprex seems to be available to Europe and the Vupoint to the US.

Here's a clip from today where the conditions were a bit better

http://vimeo.com/21078141

I think it's exactly the same recorder as the Baru, which I think was reasonably expensive at one stage.
Hi NDw

Your Emprex 101 video quality is pretty good. Your OSD text is excellent quality recording.

The Emprex 101 instruction manual indicates the video recording quality is user selectable, high, medium, and low. There is also the note that the video quality setting affects the recorded video bit rate. There is also a preview function for setting the video brightness,contrast, hue and saturation before selecting the record to ON.

I would be interested to know the setting you used for quality? Maybe this is the reason that your video is at a lower bit rate than the Baru DVR bit rate that was at a higher quality setting.

Lindsay
Pisces is offline Find More Posts by Pisces
Old Mar 20, 2011, 06:07 AM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
That would be super cool. I live in Switzerland, so shipping one from the UK to Switzerland should not be such a big deal I belive. If you have a PayPal account I can send you the money it takes. I'm also open to whatever you propose. Hmm, I see you live in Fance? How did you managed to get one???

Markus
I actually live right next door to Switzerland, near Chamonix, about an hour away from Geneva, but I have a place in the UK and I had it shipped there and picked it up when I was back in the UK 2 weeks ago.

I'm not due to head back to the UK for a while, but I could probably get someone to forward it on to you, if you wanted one. I'll go ahead and order one anyway (I can always have a spare if you change your mind ) and when it has arrived at my UK address I can get a quote for shipping it to Switzerland.

It's £14.17 to get including delivery in the UK and I guess it would cost ~£5-10 to ship to switzerland. Don't forget that you will need to buy an IDE drive to put in.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 06:32 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove View Post
I actually live right next door to Switzerland, near Chamonix, about an hour away from Geneva, but I have a place in the UK and I had it shipped there and picked it up when I was back in the UK 2 weeks ago.

I'm not due to head back to the UK for a while, but I could probably get someone to forward it on to you, if you wanted one. I'll go ahead and order one anyway (I can always have a spare if you change your mind ) and when it has arrived at my UK address I can get a quote for shipping it to Switzerland.

It's £14.17 to get including delivery in the UK and I guess it would cost ~£5-10 to ship to switzerland. Don't forget that you will need to buy an IDE drive to put in.
Again, this would be super cool. Thanks for the offer. Having someone forwarding it to me sounds great (as I'm pretty keen on getting something to record my flights). Don't care about shipping costs, I'm happy to spend that money. Just let me know how much, or I can transfer say £30 your way up front and you keep the reminder for your efforts.

You do have a PM from me.

Markus
Old Mar 20, 2011, 06:20 PM
NDw
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
Hi NDw

Your Emprex 101 video quality is pretty good. Your OSD text is excellent quality recording.

The Emprex 101 instruction manual indicates the video recording quality is user selectable, high, medium, and low. There is also the note that the video quality setting affects the recorded video bit rate. There is also a preview function for setting the video brightness,contrast, hue and saturation before selecting the record to ON.

I would be interested to know the setting you used for quality? Maybe this is the reason that your video is at a lower bit rate than the Baru DVR bit rate that was at a higher quality setting.

Lindsay
Nope it was on the high recording quality. I tested medium and low and medium gave about half the bitrate of high. Low was pretty much the same as medium. If I can find a dvd I'll test it off that to see if it gives very high bitrate with a very good source.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 06:56 PM
The Dreamer
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2010
939 Posts
Quote:
Nope it was on the high recording quality. I tested medium and low and medium gave about half the bitrate of high. Low was pretty much the same as medium. If I can find a dvd I'll test it off that to see if it gives very high bitrate with a very good source.
It will be interesting to see how well the EMPREX records a good quality DVD player with an av output port. This is a good test and eliminates all the other video components in a FPV setup. Namely the CAM, OSD, and the Video tx/Rx link.

As mentioned earlier in this thread that standard PAL TV signal is always interlaced. This is part of the original PAL signal standard and was in the spec for the now antique analog TV with vacuum tube CRT display. These tubes have their phosphor screen fade between 25Hz frames which is detectable by eye as 25Hz flicker in the video picture. So the frames are sent twice as 1/2 frames at 50Hz which gives a final frame rate or 25 frames per second.

I have tested security CAM both CCD and CMOS connected directly to the AV input of an HD LCD TV and noticed that interlacing errors are produced in the CAM itself. Fast pan on a low quality CAM can produce both interlace problems and also dropped frames ( stop start video ). The electronics in the CAM AV output stages cannot keep up with the input picture bits streaming in from the CAM light sensor.

I look forward to your test results for the EMPREX recording with a good quality DVD signal

Lindsay
Pisces is offline Find More Posts by Pisces