HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 13, 2010, 07:56 PM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,076 Posts
Is it just the display? If you turn it on, let it go to solid green, and then
hit the REC button will it start recording normally (rec light green, drive light flashing)?

I don't know why all you guys are having so much trouble. My two units work fine.
I do wonder if you're perhaps using big drives with a power demand that's higher
than it can handle. It's only rated to 160GB, and I believe that to be a limit of
the power handling, not the actual capacity.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2010, 07:59 PM
I love FPV!
Cralis's Avatar
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Yeah, checked that - thanks.
I notice that when I power, the red light goes on. I press Power, and the green light flashes for around 5 seconds, then goes solid. But I see no picture, and the HDD light doesn't flash. I can hear the HDD spin up, but - nothing.
It's back in the box, and I'll rap to their support tomorrow. Damn - gonna cost an arm and a leg to send to them. Quite depressed.
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 08:00 PM
I love FPV!
Cralis's Avatar
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Is it just the display? If you turn it on, let it go to solid green, and then
hit the REC button will it start recording normally (rec light green, drive light flashing)?

I don't know why all you guys are having so much trouble. My two units work fine.
I do wonder if you're perhaps using big drives with a power demand that's higher
than it can handle. It's only rated to 160GB, and I believe that to be a limit of
the power handling, not the actual capacity.

ian
Thanks Ian - will try that. But I'm sure the red light flashed a few times when you power on, while the thing boots up. Nothing is happening at the moment.

My HDD is pretty small...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
I got a new 250gb Seagare for my BR...
Mmm... OK, not small enough, it seems. Surely that's not the problem? Does a 250Gb use more juice than a 160?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Last edited by Cralis; Mar 13, 2010 at 11:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 08:03 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
galaxiex's Avatar
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,573 Posts
I have two BR3002 now... bought a second one from OnVon....before they sold out...

Both with 100G drives, both work just fine....
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 02:19 PM
The Flying Circus
ommadawn's Avatar
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
Oh no...
I plugged my new BR3002 into my GS, and it's been 100% fine, up until now.
Put power, red light flashes, then goes red. As expected. I then press Power, and the disk spins up, green light flashes for a while, then goes solid. No picture... Just blank..

Plugged into the PC via USB, and all is good. USB detected, and I can see files. But on my GS< I get no piture on the video Out.

Anyone have a clue?
I had the same problem and it was the av out plug not pushed fully home. Its gotta be all the way in. Mine was out by only about 2mm. Give it a good shove and try again

What happens when you use the 240V adaptor?
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:32 PM
Microbursts hurt.
jknust's Avatar
United States, MD, Mt Airy
Joined Jun 2005
197 Posts
Hi Ian,

Do you know if you could power the MPVR+CB/DV5800 off USB instead from using my GS power and record? It looks like from specs it may be possible, it says: "Power Source, 8210 850 mAh Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery, USB Port when Plugged into PC."

I'll hop over to Target, see if any are on sale.

I'm assuming that USB is just 5VDC, and I could use a spare UBEC I have?

Thanks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
The MPVR+CB (aka DV5800) is still pretty solid bang for the buck although you
should factor in the cost of a spare larger battery or two.

ian
jknust is offline Find More Posts by jknust
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:53 PM
I love FPV!
Cralis's Avatar
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
I had the same problem and it was the av out plug not pushed fully home. Its gotta be all the way in. Mine was out by only about 2mm. Give it a good shove and try again

What happens when you use the 240V adaptor?
I was hoping it was the AV cables, but no luck. Same issue. They are flush in. Also, with the power supply plugged in - same issue. If I recall correctly, when you power on, the HDD light flashes a bit right? Mine doesn't flash at all...
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 02:37 AM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknust View Post
Hi Ian,

Do you know if you could power the MPVR+CB/DV5800 off USB instead from using my GS power and record? It looks like from specs it may be possible, it says: "Power Source, 8210 850 mAh Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery, USB Port when Plugged into PC."

I'll hop over to Target, see if any are on sale.

I'm assuming that USB is just 5VDC, and I could use a spare UBEC I have?

Thanks.
Yes I'm sure you can power it via USB port at 5V.
Target doesn't stock them in-store any more, so the online price is what it is.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2010, 02:39 AM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
I was hoping it was the AV cables, but no luck. Same issue. They are flush in. Also, with the power supply plugged in - same issue. If I recall correctly, when you power on, the HDD light flashes a bit right? Mine doesn't flash at all...
Normally when it's powered, but off, the power light is solid red.
When you press the power button, the green light normally flashes
green for several seconds, simultaneous to the HDD light flashing red a few
seconds, and then the HDD light goes out, and the power light goes solid green.

From there, if you hit REC (and it has a valid AV input) the REC light goes green
and the HDD light flickers red.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2010, 02:57 AM
I love FPV!
Cralis's Avatar
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Thanks Ian.
In standby, I have solid red, as you say. I press the Power button, and the green light flashes, but no red light activity... Then the green light goes solid.

On the screen, nothing happens. Just black.

When I connect it to my laptop (USB only), it spins up, and I get the device, and can copy files. It's just when I power it normally and have the AV cables connected.
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 03:35 AM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,076 Posts
And as I asked earlier. If you plug in a valid A/V input and then hit
REC button, what happens? Not hearing any of the weird drive chirping sounds?

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2010, 04:32 AM
Flying like an Angel.
BlueAngel2000's Avatar
Austria
Joined Sep 2007
1,488 Posts
Why are you looking for the "old" BR3002, when there is since 1 year a better one on the market:
http://cgi.ebay.at/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=220566328098
http://www.okbuynow.com/25-inch-sata...qpi0jj1bi299i3

has more recording resolution: 720x576
and has a better video codec implementation
so smaller files than the older one, at better quality.
BlueAngel2000 is offline Find More Posts by BlueAngel2000
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 04:42 AM
I love FPV!
Cralis's Avatar
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
And as I asked earlier. If you plug in a valid A/V input and then hit
REC button, what happens? Not hearing any of the weird drive chirping sounds?

ian
Hi Ian.

No sounds... I can hear the disk spin up if I put my ear to the device, but no lights indicating it's doing anything.

I quickly made a video:

BR3002 not working well (1 min 32 sec)


It's not easy plugging things in with one hand!

Any clues there?
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 09:25 AM
The Flying Circus
ommadawn's Avatar
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAngel2000 View Post
Why are you looking for the "old" BR3002, when there is since 1 year a better one on the market:
http://cgi.ebay.at/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=220566328098
http://www.okbuynow.com/25-inch-sata...qpi0jj1bi299i3

has more recording resolution: 720x576
and has a better video codec implementation
so smaller files than the older one, at better quality.
Is it guaranteed to record through static and video dropouts?
That is the biggest must have factor for choosing the BR 3002
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 09:29 AM
Flying like an Angel.
BlueAngel2000's Avatar
Austria
Joined Sep 2007
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
Is it guaranteed to record through static and video dropouts?
That is the biggest must have factor for choosing the BR 3002
Yes, it does.

I had the BR 3002 and now the newer one i linked above.

I would not recommend the BR3002 anymore. Buy the newer one if you want to buy such a recorder.
BlueAngel2000 is offline Find More Posts by BlueAngel2000
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Which portable video recording device? al_b FPV Talk 6 Mar 01, 2007 12:03 AM
Discussion Recycle any battery or portable electronic device. willhaney Batteries and Chargers 3 Dec 21, 2006 04:27 PM
Onboard Recording / Telemetry Device - Suggestions? LoopZilla Micro Helis 27 Jun 01, 2005 11:23 PM
Throttle usage recording device CloudyBright DIY Electronics 3 Dec 16, 2004 08:51 PM
Interesting Portable Photo Storage Device Randy Due Aerial Photography 12 Apr 11, 2004 04:29 AM