HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:13 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,395 Posts
Splitting the files up is not really viable. Better to use software that can read the larger size files. If you install ffdshow codecs, and virtualdub app and then vfw configuration to set all known types to use libavcodec, you can read and edit the files directly with virtualdub. Can use it to recompress to a lower bitrate xvid codec but it'll take time on an older machine.
It's not a one click process, but it's still the way to go.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:57 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7AC View Post
I have used my Japan DVR about three times now. Thanks to the guys on this thread I downloaded VLC player so that I can view the files from the SD card on my Toshiba laptop. Windows media player or movie maker wouldn't handle the files. My last flight was about 15minutes so the video file of the flight is 1.2gigabites.

My question is how to break up the file into smaller pieces or compress the file "out of the box" before it is stored on my old, tired, Toshiba They need to be no larger than 100mg so that I can convert them on-line to AVI's that movie maker will handle. Has anyone else already solved this problem?
You can go into the Japan-FPV DVR menu and reduce the recording time per file. I forget the options, but there were four or five different ones to choose from. Once a recording time has expired it ends and starts up a new recording...so you get the whole flight, but in several smaller files vs a single bigger one.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:09 PM
7AC
Central Indiana
Joined Oct 2006
391 Posts
Japan DVR file handling

Those are both great suggestions. I will try the first one first and see how sloooow my old Toshiba really is. I'm thinking it will probably just bog down until it finally freezes like a deer in the headlights. Van, I noticed the max time settings but I didn't know that it would just start another file. Ideally I'd like to slice things into files of less than 100megs each. I can upload a file of less than 100mb and have it converted to a "movie maker" acceptable file free on-line.

Thanks again for the come backs
7AC is offline Find More Posts by 7AC
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:12 AM
FPV Enthusiast
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,871 Posts
I just bought a Japan FPV Sd04 from ReadyMade RC based on this thread. I looked at the BEV RC and Foxtech equivalents at almost half the price but decided the firmware and support on the Japan FPV model was probably worth it. Looking forward to adding this to my ground station.
martinic is online now Find More Posts by martinic
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:30 PM
NDw
Ireland, Limerick, Kilmallock
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
Anyone know of a recorder that records to sd card or hdd and has a built in speaker that you can heard the audio fairly loudly as it is recording it (like with mini dv recorders)?
NDw is offline Find More Posts by NDw
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:12 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDw View Post
Anyone know of a recorder that records to sd card or hdd and has a built in speaker that you can heard the audio fairly loudly as it is recording it (like with mini dv recorders)?
Only one I know of is the Aiptek MPVR+ (+CB/DV5800/etc.. )
It plays audio while recording. I don't use it as a recorder any more, but I do
use it as a live audio monitor and I suppose, could use as emergency
backup display.

Neither the Lawmate DVRs or FPV-Japan and it's clones
will play the audio while recording. Probably because they
started out life as security recorders and doesn't make sense to play
live audio while you're discretely trying to record someone breaking into
your store.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:15 AM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTiDonavan View Post
Yes.. I was a sucker..
It records black and white. 1 frame per second.
I have not found a way to play the files on a pc either.
I gave it to my freind to use on his cars rear view camera.
S-DVR

I got it back and gave it another try..

This device seems a bit better now after my initial tests and may work as a "backup/flight logger" Device

It does record in color, my camera went to night(b/w) mode when I first tested it..
It records about 3 Frames per second.

The picture quality comes out ok and the OSD is very clear to read.
The feature I do like as a backup recorder is that you can plug it into your groundstation and forget about it. It will automatically loop record any motion sensed.

But still no good as a video recorder and still cannot play on PC
GTiDonavan is offline Find More Posts by GTiDonavan
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:40 PM
SemperFi!
United States, TX, Texarkana
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Anyone used or heard of the Elgato Video Capture Device? Similar to the EasyCap usb for computer recording.. But maybe a bit better quality??

http://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Video-C...s=computer+dvr
BriGuy82 is offline Find More Posts by BriGuy82
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:13 PM
When a hobby gets a passion
Thailand, Chon Buri, Pattaya
Joined Sep 2012
766 Posts
I have tried the Ebay: 1CH Realtime Video DVR Recorder Support 32GB SD Card D1

- Does NOT record through static
- After video come back to normal, video remains scrambled
- Not possible to remove timestamp

Absolutely useless for FPV !!!!
Pattaya01 is offline Find More Posts by Pattaya01
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:21 AM
Austria, Tir., Schwaz
Joined Feb 2012
4 Posts
SanDisk V-Mate Review

I'm using the SanDisk V-Mate for some time now:
+ it works
+ it's small
+ you simply use sd-cards
o it needs 5v. i take a normal bec to supply this.
o video quality - although set to high in the menu - i would call medium.
o the recorded video is interlaced. you have to de-interlace afterwards.
o you need to use the remote to start recording
+ but you dont need to see the menu necessarily. pressing "record" twice should work. you see that it records when the blue led is flashing.
- if you forget to stop recording before power-off you will get a corrupted video-file. i couldn't repair the file in 2 of 2 cases.
+ the price

PS: is it correct that all cameras and transmitters send interlaced video, because they use pal/ntsc ? if yes, are there recorders that de-interlace at recording?
isilive is offline Find More Posts by isilive
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:52 AM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Where do you buy a v-mate?
GTiDonavan is offline Find More Posts by GTiDonavan
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:54 PM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
741 Posts
AV25 from NewMP3Technology

Received this one today:

Name: av25.gif
Views: 65
Size: 193.5 KB
Description:
http://www.newmp3technology.com/av25.htm

I must say I'm impressed! It's cheap, small, has inbuilt mic and speaker, 2Gb inbuilt mem and comes with a complete package including mains-charger, cables (av, usb, usb-charge, stereo-male-to-male), instructions and even headphones. It only records in 320x240 but that's enough to evaluate flights afterwards and to find the plane back in case of a crash. For YouTube uploads most of us use a separate cam/recorder anyway.

Based on my first tests this thing records at about 5Mb/min (highest quality settings), so the inbuilt 2Gb lasts for hours. For a bit over €30 EUR shipped this is best value for the money afaik. Excellent customer service too.

If you want some more details, PM me or drop a line here.
Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:48 AM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,620 Posts
Glad you got yours Martin. Have been waiting 40 days for mine to turn up. Did yours take long for shipment. Have contacted them 7 times with only one reply. So maybe I got rear end of the stick with their customer service. Anyway looking forward to your review.

Bx
Boxhead is offline Find More Posts by Boxhead
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:44 AM
usual old know-it-all
Blackpool,U.K.
Joined May 2005
1,311 Posts
i got one of these cheapo DVR's,very good for the price and reliable also.Obviously not Gopro video but very useful for a downed plane referance.
i also got the better one,as in more expensive,slightly better video quality but not worth the extra money in my view..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JXD-990-Po...item416ba74644
brodjack is offline Find More Posts by brodjack
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:30 PM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
741 Posts
Boxhead, I've been waiting for three weeks, but nothing showed up. E-mailed them but no response at first. E-mailed them again after couple days and they took appropriate action right away. Received it a week later.

I've no plans for a review atm. Perhaps later.

Martin

<offtopic> but do you know how to set the date/time?
<ontopic> do you perhaps know how to go ff while playing vids? There are forward and reverse 'buttons' but I don't know how to press them.
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182